2010: the year for travel

We've got Laos planned for late February into March. Just bought plane tickets to Bangkok on EVA, will figure it out from there.

Three days in London, then 12 days on a Baltic cruise. Already booked for June.

Did Australia (3 weeks) this past June.

Every year is a travel year for us. 2010 is no different :cool: ...

Big travel year planned for 2010 - nothing booked yet.

Current plans are a month in Colorado, 6 weeks in England and 4-6 weeks in Canada.

Roll on that ER date :cool:

We actually got a pretty good deal recently. DW got a call that Mum was seriously ill so we needed to get 2 tickets to Manchester, UK the next day, returning a couple of weeks later - $1,150. When a similar thing happened in 1995 when my Mum died I had to do the same thing and it cost $995 so 14 years later and the price has not changed much.

Alan, I hope your DW's "mum" is feeling well.

We are starting 2010 with a cruise, seduced by cheaper prices for better accommodations than all past trips. Also planning on Europe for the summer.

We're thinking about a month split between a cottage in Ireland and family in Belgium for either Fall 2010 or Spring 2011. We'll have a stopover in NYC on the way there and back as well.

Hoping for cheap plane fares, as it'll be our first time with four tickets...:eek:

Thanks for your thoughts.

I'm afraid she died the day we landed. She had been in hospital for the previous 8 weeks and very sick for the last couple of years so it was not a big surprise. We went to England for 3 weeks in May since all 3 of our surviving parents were well past their "three score years and ten".

Looking into visiting nearby towns, scenic wonders, and museums we haven't been to yet. Once I figure out the public transit system, I'll be off. "I've been off for years":D. I figure travel fees to those areas should average less than ten dollars for day trips. Since we're not planning pricey trips, we're popping for more expensive nearby attractions: $125 for whale-watching tours, a dinner variety show for about $150 each (discounted).

The biggest trip we're considering is to the next state to visit SO's sister. I'd like to use ground transportation to see the scenery, maybe AMTRAK with bus connection.

2010 Travel Ramp-Up

Chile for 2.5 weeks in February, an Alaska cruise & land tour (2 weeks), and at least three weeks down at Palace Resorts in Mexico or Punta Cana (We're Palace Premier members). We want to begin our travels to Asia soon, before we become old farts.:cool:

We're off to Boston & Maine tomorrow then in January a cruise or Costa Rica and of course one or two trips to visit my daughter,son in law and grandson .

Yellowstone is our planned trip for 2010. Or the New Mexico high country. We are already on the monthly "savings plan" for either destination. :D

I am planning to go back to England next year. I plan to attend the Chelsea Flower Show at the end of May and then spend a week or so in London visiting my son.

Yellowstone is our planned trip for 2010. Or the New Mexico high country. We are already on the monthly "savings plan" for either destination. :D

From New York? Do it properly. [-]Take [/-]Schedule the time to do both. You won't regret it. If you are driving, even better -- the drive between the two is unmatched.

From New York? Do it properly. [-]Take [/-]Schedule the time to do both. You won't regret it. If you are driving, even better -- the drive between the two is unmatched.
Oh, I'd love to take a month or two and wing it across America. :D
However, dh2b still w*rks full time and cannot be away that long. Pout. :(
So we will do 1 of those trips this year, the other next year.
We will fly in very close, then do some localized road trips.

We are starting 2010 with a cruise, seduced by cheaper prices for better accommodations than all past trips. Also planning on Europe for the summer.

we too are looking at a nice 14 day cruise in mid to late January...

Oh, I'd love to take a month or two and wing it across America. :D
However, dh2b still w*rks full time and cannot be away that long. Pout. :(
So we will do 1 of those trips this year, the other next year.
We will fly in very close, then do some localized road trips.

Ah, well. I do hope he gets well soon.

I can't help you then. Both locations are in the "must see"/"bucket list" category. Yellowstone has too many people for me but there is a well-earned reason for that. New Mexico, as I said before, is rightly named the "Land of Enchantment."

BTW, What do you consider the "high country" of New Mexico?

We're planning 3 weeks in Egypt in January 2010. DIY, not a package tour. Cairo, Western Desert, Luxor, Aswan, Abu Simbel.

I'll be in Sequoia National Park next week. Then, for a bit of a change of pace, I'm returning to Burma and Thailand for 2 1/2 months on Nov 30. Some of you may recall that I just spent two months in the region this past summer. Sorry, but I'm not much for photos (can you say "disposable camera"?), and I'm a little too lazy to post lengthy travel reports on this forum. Adventures as fabulous as you might imagine, however.

Tom

We were going to do the Panama Canal cruise in April but we found the two of us could go cheaper in December so we are instead going to see the parents in Washington in April. So, at least for this particular cruise, this year was the better year. Haven't figured out what else to do. Maybe go out to Jupiter to find HAL.

I travel as little as possible, but we just got back from a three day trip to Oregon to attend my daughter's wedding. The overall cost was much less than I had expected and much less than last year. You would never know there is a recession going on - - all planes were completely full (ugh). We could have recouped much of the airfare in travel vouchers had we been willing to return the following morning, instead.

Now, with any luck that will be it for a while! :LOL:

We'll do our typical Feb/Mar trip to Florida...staying in Ormond Beach for a change. Instead of taking the quickest, most direct route, I may opt to shoot straight south from here, then head east along the Gulf coast. Might even make a stop-over in NOLA to visit my niece....or might not! When we return to IL, we'll probably come back the more direct route, and stay in Chattanooga and/or Nashville for a few days. Or we'll do the direct route down, hitting Nashville as planned, and then return via the Gulf coast.

In Feb. routes, timing, and everything else, is weather dependent....gotta work around snow/ice storms. ;)

I've been pondering going to Alaska for the last few years, and I may head up that way next July. I have some old friends doing a 7 day cruise, and I might join them.....just a bunch of old hippies! So it should be a blast! Plus, it looks like the price is right!

Other than those trips, we'll just do a few short trips here and there. Maybe Mackinac Island and drive the loop around Lake Michigan, the balloon-fest in Iowa, and a big Bluegrass festival in the hills of Kentucky. Throw in a trip or 2 to Nashville, and we should be set for the year.....Oh, and a LOT of day trips!!!

We're planning 3 weeks in Egypt in January 2010. DIY, not a package tour. Cairo, Western Desert, Luxor, Aswan, Abu Simbel.

We did that almost exactly a year ago. Unfortunately we missed Abu Simbel :( Highly recommend going to Dashur. You'll like it better than Giza. We had the place all to our self and went inside the oldest pyramid in the world.

The museum in Aswan is pretty impressive.

Heading to England in 2010. Possibly France. I have a sibling with moved to England. Looking forward to it. And on the other hand dreading flying to the east coast then off to England. Might fly to New York and stay a day or two. Then head across the pond.

Oh well it will be on the cheap with having a place to stay overseas. :D

Back
Top Bottom