Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How many weeks of travel in 2015?
Less than 1 week 5 4.81%
1 to 3 weeks 31 29.81%
4 to 7 weeks 30 28.85%
8 to 13 weeks 19 18.27%
14 to 22 weeks 13 12.50%
23 to 31 weeks 4 3.85%
32 to 40 weeks 1 0.96%
41 or more - call me a nomad 1 0.96%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-02-2016, 08:28 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Lot's of one day (overnight) travel out of state. Too numerous to list them all. Longest about 8 days. Overall about 10 weeks

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2016, 08:55 AM   #22

We had two family weddings last year, one in Austin, TX and one in Atlanta. We drove to both, with an overnight in each direction. We also spent a couple of nights at our favorite B&B in Hermann, MO and I went to Ohio for a HS reunion. Our big trip was to Iceland.

What's really been a blessing is not being constrained by vacation days. This means we can drive places, with a ton more flexibility (and a car when we get there) instead of relying on the airlines. There's no need to drive 12 hours in a day; we get off the road when we feel like it and enjoy breakfast before leaving in the AM. It's also allowed us to add overnights when flying, too; in order to reduce wear and tear on DH, who's frequently come down with pneumonia or bronchitis after long-haul trips, we stayed overnight in Boston before and after our Reykjavik flights. (It also keeps me from worrying about missing connections.) He returned healthy form this trip. Woo-hoo!

Old 01-02-2016, 12:30 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
4 days in London
4 days in northern England
5 days in Scotland
10 days in Germany
4 days in Czech Republic
I bet you enjoyed the beers! Were those all separate trips, or was it something like two 2-week trips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
(86 days until we fly to St. Maarten to catch the same ship again.)
Can I come too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
What's really been a blessing is not being constrained by vacation days.
Absoltively! If I were like those in the top two slots of the poll (fewest nights traveling), there would have been a much less compelling case to FIRE.
Old 01-02-2016, 01:00 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Can I come too?
Hmmm....that might be a possibility......I guess.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 01:01 PM   #25

Travel in 2015 may have been the least since I retired almost 16 years ago. Family obligations and kids activities and lousy planning on our part meant it was more like days than weeks. And with older teens, it's getting a bit harder to plan.

Started the 2015 year (Jan 1) on my wife's family homestead in central South Dakota spreading her Mom's ashes on the snow covered prairie. She had passed away a day after Christmas. So nights away from home for me:

4 in Iowa
2 in OHio for younger son's soccer tournaments
4 in PA and 2 in NY in the woods on backpacking weekends.

We've already started family discussions so we plan 2016 much better. A bit hard to beat our 2014 trip of rafting down the Grand Canyon. Maybe visit many other National Parks out west. Gotta work around soccer tournaments, older boy starting college, summer jobs, free enterprise week for younger son, etc.
Old 01-02-2016, 01:25 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

For me, one long RV trip lasting 8 weeks with 2 1-week stops in timeshare condos, 1 week in Maui, and 1 week on a cruise ship. Time spent up in my 2nd home does not count.

I used to entertain the idea of spending a month or two at a time in Europe, but it is harder now to do that as I am so used to extended travel with a motorhome. It is a lot more comfortable for extended travel than living out of a suit case in hotel rooms.

No travel plans yet for 2016, not even with the RV.
Old 01-02-2016, 01:34 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Never really thought to count it up, but I was on the road 162 days in 2015, just under half the year. And still traveling, but we expect to get home in a couple of weeks. Too much of the budget is going to travel, though - so we'll cut it down in 2016. Now that I'm retired, I seem to have a lot more offers to play in age-group baseball tournaments.

Almost all domestic this year. Palm Springs, CA; Chicago (three times); central Washington; Colorado; and then the long cross-country trip - Utah, Arizona, Nevada, Florida, Cuba, Kentucky, Ohio, New York and Chicago.
Old 01-02-2016, 01:44 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I bet you enjoyed the beers! Were those all separate trips, or was it something like two 2-week trips?
Yes, England/Scotland on one trip, and Germany/Czech Rep. on the other.

Honestly, the beer is one of the main reasons I like Europe.
Old 01-02-2016, 02:37 PM   #29

Off the top of my head, about 60 days, all international trips.

I spent just over 30% of my total expenses this year, my first full year FIRE'd, on travel.

But fortunately, my total spending for the year is just under 2% of my savings.

Got some more big trips lined up this year, including one starting Monday.
Old 01-02-2016, 06:36 PM   #30

15 weeks in Thailand, Malaysia, Australia, NZ
1 week in British Columbia
2 weeks in Ontario
6 weeks in Greece.

So far palnned in 2016:

1 week in Mexico AI wedding
8 weeks in Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam
1 tentative week in BC-Bowen Island
1 week in Ontario-wedding
6-8 Weeks in Southern Europe TBD

Lots more to see and do!
Old 01-08-2016, 10:46 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Three week road trip to New Orleans and back, 5,000 miles with a small trailer

Two weeks in Yosemite

Two weeks on Viking River cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam, plus two weeks in Amsterdam and London

Seven weeks in the Canadian Rockies in small trailer again

One week at a bluegrass festival

One week at a western film festival

Two weeks in Death Valley, large trailer this time, followed by six weeks in Tucson.

More than 50% travel!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-08-2016, 10:39 PM   #32

That's quite a diverse set of destinations! The other half of time you must have spent planning your trips.
Old 01-09-2016, 05:54 PM   #33

Just started reading Lonely Planet Argentina.

We are thinking of spending next winter in South America. The currency is good for us and SA has been on my bucket list since a quick trip to Rio 25 years ago. The beaches are wonderful.

We would like to snag a last minute cruise around the horn while we are there.....if the price is right.

The flight is ugly but we are up for it given that we would stay for three months.
Old 01-23-2016, 10:31 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Prior to retiring 17 months ago, I was a million mile flyer for my job. So last year I could not bear to get back on a plane. Our only trip was a three week cross country driving trip from Colorado to Virginia to take care of our grandkids while their parents took an Alaskan Cruise. Coming back, we criss crossed our way through the Appalachians and saw four national parks. Despite all the driving it was a great trip.

Now next week we are going to Italy with group from our church for 11 days. I guess I am ready to get back on a plane.
Old 01-28-2016, 03:47 PM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

I love reading these types of threads! We are 10 years from retirement, and my DH works for himself, so we can't travel as much as we'd like. Let's see:

Three or 4 trips to NH/MA visiting family (holidays, and had a death in the family)
Long weekend in Miami
8 days in Portugal (biking trip)
5 days in Minneapolis (for a hobby - I go every year)

I guess that was it last year - except for an overnight in Philly and a weekend at Lake Anna at a friend's house. Hmmm....have to work on that!
Old 01-28-2016, 05:31 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

I love these as well -- gets my mind turning on plans ...

'15 was pretty moderate for us, but I only RE'd in July, and DD and DS are still in school -- so we do have to accommodate their break calendars.

3 days in Seattle
3 days in Boston
10 days in Spain (Toledo, Madrid, Malaga)
4 days Palm Springs
4 days Scotland
6 days Ireland
4 days Wash DC
4 days Ithaca NY
4 days Chicago
4 days Phoenix
4 days San Fran
and
ended the year with 6 days in Iceland ...

So far 16 plans are still in development, but for sure:

3 days in Philly (glad to get out ahead of the big storm - just barely!!)
1 week college tour w DS (NYC, BOS, Ithaca)
9-10 days Ithaca spread over 3 trips (DW's 25th Reunion, DD move-in weekend and Parents' Weekend to see DD)
4 days in Vegas
10 days in Germany/Czech Republic
4 days in Chicago
7 days SF

and hoping for another couple of weeks' worth of larger trips in there.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:37 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

In 2015, about 28 weeks in total away from home, all but a few weeks for fun. In chronological order:
1 week Austin
2 weeks Jordan (a consulting job)
4 weeks Europe (cruise)
6 weeks sub-Saharan Africa (South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania)
8 weeks Latin America (Paraguay, Ecuador, Cuba)
5 weeks East Africa (cruise)
2 weeks New Jersey

For 2016, I want to spend less time away, but already have commitments for about 10 weeks of fun travel, and suspect I'll end up doing more before all is said and done.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:12 PM   #38

We've got to where we seldom travel in the U.S., and that even includes cities within 120 miles of us. We do keep a RV in the mountains and travel there periodically.

On the other hand, we spent 2/2015, in Las Vegas, Oahu and back through San Francisco. We had just taken a cruise to Aruba, Curacao and Turks/Caicos.

We also flew to Copenhagen for a few days in August before taking a cruise to Germany, Estonia, St. Petersburg, Helsinki, Stockholm and back to Copenhagen. We flew to Oslo and took a train/fast boat trip to Bergen, Norway before flying home.

Just after that trip, my wife and a girlfriend went on a cruise to Mexico and Belize.

We're leaving the last of April flying to Rome for a few days before going on a cruise to Malta, the Grecian isles and Turkey--coming back thru Venice. We're staying in London on our way home.

We've gotten to where we travel perpetually to stave off boredom in retirement. But having so much extra time in retirement, I find such incredible travel bargains online. We live frugally in order to afford such travel. But when you go to a great place like Venice for the 8th or 9th time, the really special wears off.

After our upcoming trip, we're going to try and stay home in the future. We have enough toys to keep us busy at home.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:24 PM   #39

Yeah I haven't done big road trips within the US but I want to see the Southwest and Colorado and Utah. Inspired by the photos thread.

However, it would be a lot of driving from Northern CA, unless I flew and rented a car.

But I'm using a lot of frequent flyer miles and also trying to fly enough to maintain FF status too.
Old 01-30-2016, 05:37 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

We've been shooting for an average of 26 weeks (50%), but new grandbaby definitely took priority in 2015:

- 2 weeks in Palm Springs
- 2 weeks RV'ing at the beach
- 4 weeks in France
- 6 weeks RV'ing in Oregon
- 1 week backpacking in Grand Canyon
- 2 week cruise to Central America
Total of 17 weeks

We also spent many days and weeks overnighting with SIL, DD and new grandbaby, so technically our goal of 26 weeks really was met. Thank goodness our SIL seems to like us!

Am currently lying here in bed in Costa Rica, listening to Howler monkeys in the trees outside my room, so 2016 is definitely off to a great start.