Join Early Retirement Today

9/11 Memorial
Old 09-11-2013, 11:52 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

9/11 Memorial

I had the opportunity to visit the 9/11 Memorial this weekend in New York. It was really something to see. The minute you walk in and hear the water falling in the North and South pools sends chills all through your body. The story of the Survivor Tree was quite incredible and shamefully to admit not one that I don't think I've heard before. I recommend visiting if you ever get the chance.
YoCo618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2013, 02:28 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We've held off visiting, waiting until the museum is open.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:43 PM   #3

Someday, perhaps.

One of my best friends very nearly lost his daughter that day. She worked on a very high floor, but fortunately was a little late to work that day.
As if that weren't enough, his son had one of his best friends on one of the planes that hit the WTC.

Another friend was in one of the NYFD crews that responded, and he had his own very close call during the rescue effort.

Growing up in NYC, I watched the WTC being built (we thought it was ugly at the time), but over time I learned to enjoy it.

For the time being, I can't quite bring myself to visit.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:37 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I received a message that morning from a friend in Manhattan saying "we're OK". I had no idea, but heard more later.

Can't much post on Internet forums on such a day.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:45 PM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Someday, perhaps.

One of my best friends very nearly lost his daughter that day. She worked on a very high floor, but fortunately was a little late to work that day.
As if that weren't enough, his son had one of his best friends on one of the planes that hit the WTC.

Another friend was in one of the NYFD crews that responded, and he had his own very close call during the rescue effort.

Growing up in NYC, I watched the WTC being built (we thought it was ugly at the time), but over time I learned to enjoy it.

For the time being, I can't quite bring myself to visit.

I watched the events of that day unfold right from my office window 12 years ago. I still remember everything, all the sights, sounds and smells, as vividly as if it were yesterday. I doubt that I will ever go to the memorial.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:50 PM   #6

I just got into genealogy, and stumbled on this a couple of weeks ago.

I could get lost in here for hours. Some of the obits are just heart-wrenching.

Remember: September 11, 2001 - A site presented by Legacy.com
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:50 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

We were in the city the Thanksgiving after that. I said we would not go down there but we did. The impromptu memorial around the firehouse was very moving.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
I just got into genealogy, and stumbled on this a couple of weeks ago.

I could get lost in here for hours. Some of the obits are just heart-wrenching.

Remember: September 11, 2001 - A site presented by Legacy.com

Thank you very much for posting this link. I remember when these biographical stories ran in the New York Times for months after 9/11. I could not bring myself to read them at the time, because I wept with every one. I still cannot bring myself to watch any of the movies or documentaries which have been made. Maybe someday. But I am able to read the stories at the link now, so thank you.

I have a friend who worked as a New York Port Authority officer then, and for several days after 9/11 I thought we had lost her. It wasn't until the following Saturday that we heard from her that she had survived. Many of her colleagues did not.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:36 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I watched the events of that day unfold right from my office window 12 years ago. I still remember everything, all the sights, sounds and smells, as vividly as if it were yesterday. I doubt that I will ever go to the memorial.
+1 our office was ~ 1 mile north of the towers and we had a direct view from some of the offices. It was a chaotic day chasing down a relative who worked near the towers (she had a dentist appointment that morning so she wasn't at work) and getting word to family back home that I was ok (not anywhere near WTC but they didn't know). It still makes my stomach turn just thinking about it and I wasn't really directly impacted.

I most vividly recall the way people rallied to help each other. God Bless America.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:45 PM   #10
Confused about dryer sheets

I was working also that day but here in Tampa (police officer then) and remember they put us on standby due to the proximity of Cent Com (Macdill AFB). We had to go get our uniforms and gear. Also my brother, Lt colonel then, was supposed to go to the Pentagon that week but got delayed. I didn't know anyone who lost their lives that day but I know the sacrifices that were made. God Bless them all and you all.
YoCo618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:54 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post

I imagine a lot of people who saw this happen will always have some level of post-traumatic stress disorder. Even remembering the media coverage that morning from hundreds of miles away still shakes me up.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:04 PM   #12

Every year I watch the 1 hour show about Busch and his events of that day, starting at the school in Fl and ending with the "they will hear you soon" line.

What I can not watch is footage of people jumping from the building to escape the fire. It makes me very sad and very angry.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:37 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I walked into work to find a bunch of co-workers crowded around a television watching the coverage. I walked over just as one of the towers came down, crushing the building that my brother worked in. It wasn't until seven hour later that we heard the full story, that when he came up out of the Chambers Street subway station and saw the tower on fire, he turned around to come home. The subway was already stopped as a precaution, so he exited again, and eventually walked 60 blocks to the Queensboro bridge to get home, with the towers falling behind his back. It wasn't until he got home that we heard he was okay.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:00 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I can't bring myself to visit the memorial. I lost two friends that day and still vividly remember the painful chaos in the Tri State area. Just can't do it.....
BuysToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:16 PM   #15

While I haven't been to the New York memorial, I have been to the Flight 93 Memorial near Shanksville, PA (twice, at different stages of completeness) and the Pentagon Memorial.

Both give you a real sense of the tragedy of that day.
gindie is offline   Reply With Quote