Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-03-2011, 12:38 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksols View Post
As we dream about ER (1.5 yrs away) we want to do so much, but how do you realize the dream of trying new fishing spots and camping, but not in a tent? Pull the boat and tent camp/motel or pull the pop up and stand on the bank and wish.
Great question! We've been working on the answer for a couple of years and are almost there.

Currently we pull a hard sided pop-up with a short bed pick-up truck with cap. We carry our kayaks on top of the truck and we carry fishing gear, including an outboard motor, trolling motor, clamp on seats, fish finder and much fishing gear, inside the cap. For limited fishing we use the kayaks. My boat, more so than DW's, is set up to fish and it's actually quite a bit of fun to fish from a kayak and doing so is a growing hobby. (Google "kayak fishing.") If we're camped on bigger water, we look for a rental and deploy our own motor and other misc fishing goodies. The strategy is that it's relatively easy to find someone with a row boat to rent but much more difficult to find a rental with a good-running outboard and appropriate fishing accessories. So, just rent a bare-bones boat and slap on your own equipment.

Our next step, since rental boats are not always available, is to get a Porta-Bote as already suggested. I've looked at them at a dealer and they're great! Our only delay in getting one is the approx $2k cost would have put our travel budget in the red for 2010 so we put the purchase off a year. We'll carry the Porta-Bote on top between the kayaks.

This is how we look while traveling. Here, we're on Madeline Island, off Bayfield in Lake Superior, waiting for the ferry to take us back to the mainland. We camped on Madeline for a week and enjoyed paddling Lake Superior and also fishing a small, inland lake on the island.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P9100077.JPG (396.2 KB, 9 views)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2011, 01:09 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Our next step, since rental boats are not always available, is to get a Porta-Bote as already suggested. I've looked at them at a dealer and they're great! Our only delay in getting one is the approx $2k cost would have put our travel budget in the red for 2010 so we put the purchase off a year. We'll carry the Porta-Bote on top between the kayaks.
Where is LBYM fun in buying from a dealer?
They show up used on various craigslists from time to time for 1/3-1/2 the price of a new one: Porta Bote Price - Yakaz For sale

Old 02-03-2011, 02:19 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Where is LBYM fun in buying from a dealer?
They show up used on various craigslists from time to time for 1/3-1/2 the price of a new one: Porta Bote Price - Yakaz For sale
Who said we're buying from a dealer? We looked at Porta-Botes at the Chicago Boat and RV Show the last couple of years (dealer displayed) and verified they'd do what we want. And I've seen a few on local Craig's List postings although we'd prefer the 14 footer, introduced fairly recently, and I haven't seen one of those on the local used market yet.

Of course if we can locate a 14 footer in excellent shape on the used market, that would be the way to go. If not, it'll be new since this isn't a situation where something "close" would be "good enough."

Thanks for posting the Yakaz site. Haven't used that before.