A boat and a pop up...how?

Ksols

Dryer sheet aficionado
As we dream about ER (1.5 yrs away) we want to do so much, but how do you realize the dream of trying new fishing spots and camping, but not in a tent? Pull the boat and tent camp/motel or pull the pop up and stand on the bank and wish.

As we dream about ER (1.5 yrs away) we want to do so much, but how do you realize the dream of trying new fishing spots and camping, but not in a tent? Pull the boat and tent camp/motel or pull the pop up and stand on the bank and wish.

Pull the pop up with a kayak on top !

I think the simplest way to do this is to have a small motorhome or a truck camper and tow the boat. Seen it lots of times.

1)Put a hitch on the back of the popup trailer.

2)Don't back up.

Get a bigger boat with a cabin, so you can sleep onboard.
But brewer's suggestion (MH towing a boat) is what is see the most often at the campgrounds.

I would just love to see a 40 footer backing in to pull out a boat :ROFLMAO:

Like this:

(Oh, and as travelover said: don't back up.)

Attachments

• double tow.jpg
    double tow.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 7
If one is happy with using a kayak for fishing, things would be much simpler and allow many variations, which of course we have all seen on the road.

img_1032219_0_27a0adacb9bbab8324aef75b43dcb3d5.jpg

Oops! Wrong picture! The following are better examples.

rear-768928.jpg

kayak-trailer-yakima-rackandroll-920-300x233.jpg

20080623_Kluane_891.jpg

Else, a truck camper like a Lance or a Host offers amazing comfort, while it can still pull a small boat.

Lance2__.jpg

This is the inside of a nice camper.

everest_int_2.jpg

And then, of course one can tow a boat with a class C, or even a class A. On the freeway, I once saw a big class A motor home pulling a boat. The motor home is a lot bigger than the one in the picture below. I sure would like to see that guy launching his boat.

img_1032219_6_482e3fccfe001b8dc27d943ed7a8961a.jpg

This guy is nuts! I am sure the combo of toad+trailer+boat exceeds the towing capacity of his class C, which is usually 5000lbs.

P1000470.JPG

Here's another different photo of the interior of a modern camper. The last one somehow did not show up in the last post. The small toilet is in the back and does not show in the photo.

oregon-truck-camper-interior-1.jpg

This setup is not cheap however. A big diesel truck like an earlier poster suggested plus a nice camper would set one back much moolah. However, buying used, my neighbor got a fairly decent setup for around $40-45K for both truck and camper. This is my estimate, as I could not ask him out right.

Check out the forums at rv.net

Every RV combo you can imagine and a few you can't :D

Be aware not all states allow the set-up posted by REWahoo.

Our son has one of these they use for camping. It is a Honda Element modified in San Diego. I don't know the company that does them. I think you can buy one new and have them do the mod.

112_0904_25l+honda_element_camper+side_view.jpg

My simple solution is simple: I drive a 1976 Chevy Monte Carlo. Everybody tells me it is a boat...

Which I deny.

It is a muscle boat!

I have a Porta Bote. That works for those strapped for storage space. They sell many to camper and motor home owners.

Attachments

• Day on the river 001.jpg
    Day on the river 001.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Day on the river 003.jpg
    Day on the river 003.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Day on the river 004.jpg
    Day on the river 004.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 5
Wow, that's nice. However, I do not fish and my wife is not keen of riding on boats; something about being paranoid of drowning. Still, it is something for me to consider. Currently having no boats nor kayaks of any kind.

"Row, row, row your boat, row it down the stream
Merrily, merrily, life is but a dream..."

Great question! We've been working on the answer for a couple of years and are almost there.

Currently we pull a hard sided pop-up with a short bed pick-up truck with cap. We carry our kayaks on top of the truck and we carry fishing gear, including an outboard motor, trolling motor, clamp on seats, fish finder and much fishing gear, inside the cap. For limited fishing we use the kayaks. My boat, more so than DW's, is set up to fish and it's actually quite a bit of fun to fish from a kayak and doing so is a growing hobby. (Google "kayak fishing.") If we're camped on bigger water, we look for a rental and deploy our own motor and other misc fishing goodies. The strategy is that it's relatively easy to find someone with a row boat to rent but much more difficult to find a rental with a good-running outboard and appropriate fishing accessories. So, just rent a bare-bones boat and slap on your own equipment.

Our next step, since rental boats are not always available, is to get a Porta-Bote as already suggested. I've looked at them at a dealer and they're great! Our only delay in getting one is the approx $2k cost would have put our travel budget in the red for 2010 so we put the purchase off a year. We'll carry the Porta-Bote on top between the kayaks.

This is how we look while traveling. Here, we're on Madeline Island, off Bayfield in Lake Superior, waiting for the ferry to take us back to the mainland. We camped on Madeline for a week and enjoyed paddling Lake Superior and also fishing a small, inland lake on the island.

Attachments

• P9100077.JPG
    P9100077.JPG
    396.2 KB · Views: 9
Our next step, since rental boats are not always available, is to get a Porta-Bote as already suggested. I've looked at them at a dealer and they're great! Our only delay in getting one is the approx $2k cost would have put our travel budget in the red for 2010 so we put the purchase off a year. We'll carry the Porta-Bote on top between the kayaks.
Where is LBYM fun in buying from a dealer? :D
They show up used on various craigslists from time to time for 1/3-1/2 the price of a new one: Porta Bote Price - Yakaz For sale

Where is LBYM fun in buying from a dealer? :D
They show up used on various craigslists from time to time for 1/3-1/2 the price of a new one: Porta Bote Price - Yakaz For sale

Who said we're buying from a dealer? We looked at Porta-Botes at the Chicago Boat and RV Show the last couple of years (dealer displayed) and verified they'd do what we want. And I've seen a few on local Craig's List postings although we'd prefer the 14 footer, introduced fairly recently, and I haven't seen one of those on the local used market yet.

Of course if we can locate a 14 footer in excellent shape on the used market, that would be the way to go. If not, it'll be new since this isn't a situation where something "close" would be "good enough."

Thanks for posting the Yakaz site. Haven't used that before.

Back
Top Bottom