Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-05-2018, 05:58 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

If you haven't visited the Statue of Liberty yet, then that would get my vote. I found her to be so much more beautiful and powerful when seen with my own eyes that I could finally understand how newly arriving immigrants could weep when they finally saw her in the harbor. As previously mentioned, you must buy your tickets to go inside the statue before you get to the island.

If you have already seen lady liberty, then the Met gets my vote. I think the ideas from the locals (and former locals) are more useful than anything else that I can suggest.

And yes, my closet in Times Square holds the top spot in my travels for most expensive room with the fewest amenities. There wasn't a coffee pot anywhere in the whole damn hotel!
NoiseBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2018, 07:10 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Know you probably won't have time, but we enjoyed a pizza tour of Brooklyn. Small (12 people) bus drove around Brooklyn stopping for picture taking at various vistas. Ate at Grimaldi's (before it moved) and the Spumoni Garden (Sicilian). They also showed film clips of some of the famous sites - the train track from the French Connection car chase and the boardwalk where John Travolta strutted from Saturday Night Fever. Also Brighton Beach and Coney Island. There are several pizza tours which hit the different neighborhoods. Fun couple hours in an area we wouldn't have otherwise seen.
Idnar7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 08:32 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

I just thought I'd mention that in the early '70s, I drove a horse and carriage in Central Park. Do they still have them? It was an eye-opener for a naive 18 yo from upstate in the country.

Mike D.

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:51 PM   #24
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCGeezer View Post
Well it looks like DW and I will be spending at least a long weekend in NY come October. Our plans are fairly loose as of yet but I know we have an event to attend for a Monday evening in the city.

We’ve been there before but it’s been 10 years or so. Just thought I’d see what those with much more recent or lifelong experience in the Big Apple would recommend.

Thanks in advance.
Hi KCGeezer! So, I'm an unofficial, self-proclaimed New Yorker :P

I love the city. A lot.

May I ask what your budget looks like? Reason I ask is I can recommend amazing hotels that cost $1,000+ per night or I can scale back to $200 per night. All have their pros and cons.

Anyway. I personally love staying in TriBeca, Soho and the Lower East Side (LES). They're 'close' to the 9/11 Memorial, Brooklyn Bridge and Statue of Liberty (Ok, closer than Times Square).

Most importantly, I love how those neighborhoods are more local. You have the bistros, delis and bars. They're phenomenal and you don't get the crowd as you would in Times Square of Central Park.

For starters, here is what I recommend:

Hotels:
- Greenwich Hotel (Robert DiNiro is a partner)
- Four Seasons Downtown (There are two Four Seasons, make sure you double check the location.)
- Hotel on Rivington (Not 5*, but it's good enough in a hip area.)
- Hotel Indigo (Stay on a higher floor)
- The Quin (Central Park)
- Mandarin Oriental (Central Park)
- Baccarat (Midtown)
- The Mark (Upper East Side - Amazing Hotel)
- 1 Central Park (Central Park - Great Service, no views)
- The Lowell (Great Service)

For what it's worth, I stay at the Greenwich Hotel when I am in Tribeca; The Mandarin and The Mark when I'm in Central Park.

Restaurants:
- The Modern
- The Restaurant at The Greenwich Hotel (Forget the name of it)
- Brooklyn Fare
- Osteria Morini
- Coarse NYC (Bang for the buck tasting menu)
conway19145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 06:16 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks for the recommendations Conway. Glad you’ve found a place you love.

As I mentioned in an earlier post we’ve been to NY a few times over the years. We’ll settle on 3-4 ‘must do’ activities with plenty of time to explore some neighborhoods that we haven’t been to yet. There’s a concert at Carnegie that is the primary reason for the trip so we’ll probably focus on the Central Park area.

NY is a great place to visit, way too much to see and do for a short stay. Guess we’ll have to go back from time to time.
Old 08-04-2018, 06:42 AM   #26
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCGeezer View Post
Thanks for the recommendations Conway. Glad you’ve found a place you love.

As I mentioned in an earlier post we’ve been to NY a few times over the years. We’ll settle on 3-4 ‘must do’ activities with plenty of time to explore some neighborhoods that we haven’t been to yet. There’s a concert at Carnegie that is the primary reason for the trip so we’ll probably focus on the Central Park area.

NY is a great place to visit, way too much to see and do for a short stay. Guess we’ll have to go back from time to time.

What concert are you seeing? :-)

I also will be in NYC for a concert at Carnegie Hall in November. I booked at airbnb in the UES that was the only 1BR I could find in my preferred price range. (Every other listing was a small studio.)

So many museums and cultural attractions nearby, you will have a great time for sure.
ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:01 AM   #27

DD is performing in a very small program. She keeps saying that’s it’s not a big deal and it’s a short, really unusual piece. After years of school programs, college productions, and various recitals we’re not going to miss her first performance at such a historic venue.
Old 10-07-2018, 05:42 PM   #28

Ok. Tony’s Di Napoli is now on the recommended list. Tomorrow will be another day of discovery.