Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

A Month on the Big Island of Hawaii
Old 06-02-2016, 06:13 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

A Month on the Big Island of Hawaii

I am in the process of planning a month on the Big Island of Hawaii for this winter. There are two main ideas behind the longer trip: 1) get out of winter for a longer spell, and 2) see if we might like to spend 2-3 months here in the winter when DW retires. DW and I have made two previous trips - 1 week (not long enough) and 2 weeks (very nice) so we have started to develop a feel for getting around and things to do. We are also hoping to make a brief excursion to Oahu to see the Pearl Harbor memorial and the Polynesian Cultural Center

A few questions for the group. 1) Anyone have a lead on the cheapest way to rent a car for a month or longer? 2) What do you musicians do for an instrument when away from home for a long period of time? I'll take a flute to practice, but I find it difficult to be away from the keyboards for a week, let alone a month. 3) Any ideas for activities beyond snorkeling, bicycling, hiking, golfing?
jjquantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2016, 06:19 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjquantz View Post
A few questions for the group. 1) Anyone have a lead on the cheapest way to rent a car for a month or longer? 2) What do you musicians do for an instrument when away from home for a long period of time? I'll take a flute to practice, but I find it difficult to be away from the keyboards for a week, let alone a month. 3) Any ideas for activities beyond snorkeling, bicycling, hiking, golfing?
Most car companies have monthly rates. Search a bit on-line. Book. Keep searching, if you find a cheaper car, cancel and re-book. No penalties.

Rent an instrument from a local music store. Or buy one from a pawn store, use it, then pawn it back.

Marlin fishing is the best there. There may be a Volcano spewing lava.

Have fun!
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:37 AM   #3

When we went to the big island years ago, we used a book called Hidden Hawaii. It was very helpful for finding the hidden spots and giving some background on the islands.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:44 AM   #4

try Costco travel for the rental car. Hawaii car rentals aren't cheap though.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:40 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't know if it's possible on the Big Island, but try to look for an non-airport location. The user fees added to an airport pickup are obscene, the car itself might be a little more money but the fee saving could be great. Transport to the location might be pricey I'd at least check it out.

Do you mind coming back with a general ballpark total for your month? I'm curious if you have consider Mexico , price wise the difference probably is pretty large.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:46 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Most car companies have monthly rates...........
But check with your credit card company for maximum rental coverage duration. Some are as little as 2 to 3 weeks.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 02:37 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I'm interested in the "month in Hawaii" thing too. Probably summer time though since the kids are in school the remainder of the year.

I priced out Airbnb apartments and couldn't find much under $3000 for a month in Honolulu area (unless it was way out of town). That's for 2 BR+ whole house rental and it looked like a nice place.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:43 PM   #8

For the Hawaiian Islands, we like to use the Revealed/Ultimate Guidebook series. Looks like there's a 2016 edition for Hawaii the Big Island Revealed: The Ultimate Guidebook.

The island is so diverse that I wish we had a month to take more time to explore and spend more than an overnight in a few locations.

Just to state the obvious, a lot of the "cool" places to visit are partially offroad which most car rental agreements don't allow. We still did it but some of the roads do get a bit awkward.
YVRRocketSurgery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 02:58 PM   #9

On the keyboard thing.... My BIL was working a project in Chile for a while - he got one of these (not sure what brand - link is just to show the idea)
http://www.amazon.com/Andoer-Portabl...keyboard+piano

And a guitar like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Martin-String-...=travel+guitar

Since he came home 1 week a month - he could travel with them easily.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:41 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I have never been, but that is on the list.

My Solar install comes with a 65,000 Hawaiian Airlines miles bonus.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 04:10 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Delete
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 04:24 PM   #12

If interested there are tours that will take you to the top of Mauna Kea to see the telescopes and star gaze in one of the darkest places on earth. It pays to have time because cloudy weather cancels the trips.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 05:05 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

For the car, do keep searching on line for the best rate. Is there Rent a Wreck on the Big Island? For a unique experience, i suggest you find a tour company that can take you to the site of one of the active eruptions to see lava flowing.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:34 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

We went back to Hawaii February, 2015 to escape the winter weather.

I met up with a college fraternity brother that moved to Oahu in 1977--and never came back to the mainland. His parents had to move to Hawaii to be with him. My buddy hasn't even worn a pair of shoes in all these years as he just wears flipflops. He's a person of simple needs and a 68 year old surfer boy.

People that live there have a tendency to be free spirits. It's just a long way out there, and living expenses and food are simply out of sight. But for a month or so every once in awhile, it's quite some place to go.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:56 PM   #15

Thanks all for the suggestions. The consensus seems to be that I should just book a car for a monthly rental and then regularly check for price reductions so I will probably head that way. I will also check off-airport, Rent-A Wreck and Costco.

A couple of good leads on guidebooks, too. I'll check them out.

FUEGO - our previous trips to Hawaii were in September and November - prices seem to be lower in the fall and late spring. Also, the Big Island is a little less expensive than Oahu, based on my research. Others may be able to tell you more.

We'll have to decide which of the big sites to revisit on this trip. We've made the Mauna Kea trip and being within spitting distance (literally) of molten lava is nearly the coolest thing I've ever done.

If we were looking for a week or 10 day exploration I think Mexico would be a consideration, but the reality is that the Big Island is a sweet spot for 2 of my three hobbies (astronomy and cheap, walking golf). We really want to try the Island for a month to see if it might be a longer term snowbird location for us or (DW will need LOTS of convincing, Bamaman) a permanent relocation.

Oh, and guys, don't try to tell me about the other golf that I'm missing - I want to WALK the golf course and not spend an arm and a leg. There's a nice course on the Big Island where I can play a round for $50 and walk with some folks who live there. Much more important to me to walk and carry my own bag than to play a status course.

DW and I are headed out for a few days so I won't be commenting for a while. Please, keep the suggestions coming, though.
jjquantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:54 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

We've been visiting the Big Island for over 25 years, and last year finally bought a townhome in Mauna Lani resort, which we currently rent out as a vacation rental.

A month car rental will be around $1K from the airport. There are a few other options - Turo lists a few cars there, and there are a few on CraigList...

I miss my piano when we're there, and plan to buy a digital piano for our place there. Haven't looked into rentals, though.

Activities besides hiking, golf and astronomy - stand up paddle boarding, kayaking, visiting farmers markets and botanical gardens, among the others listed above. Have a great trip!
redshift is offline   Reply With Quote
been there x6
Old 06-03-2016, 12:35 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

been there x6

We fly non-stop to Kona to avoid changing planes in Honolulu. Costco is near the Kona airport but is across the main highway. We stay on the 3rd floor for the breeze at the Manago Hotel in Captain Cook when we are on that side of the island. The nearby local grocery store is good. In Hilo, we use Arnott's Lodge but we get the air conditioned bedrooms (with private bath and card key on the bedroom door, shared kitchen) in the house that is across the street from the office. You can walk to a small quiet beach from there. Avoid the upstairs rooms near the office, they are too hot with metal roofs and no ceiling insulation. Arnott offers tours that I recommend on your first visit, then return in your own vehicle to the places that you like. On the north end, we stay at the Kohala Club Hotel, it is east of Hawi in the next town.

On Big Island (BI) almost all of the sandy beaches are on the west side, all of those other beach parks are old lava but some of them have a lava reef that makes lagoons, and some of them are just cliffs with the ocean pounding on it. In Hilo, visit every one of the beach parks on the water. Go early in the a.m. if you are uncomfortable about the locals who drink beer all day at some of them. You have time to visit all of them. Wear light shoes to protect your feet at the lava beach parks.

Rent a car for two weeks then rent a jeep for a week to drive where the car doesn't have enough clearance. At the Green Sand Beach off of South Point road, pay the locals to drive you the two miles to there from near the South Point overlook. The road is numerous rutted tracks, and the lava sticking up out of the sand is sharp. The locals know which track is safer that week. We like the black sand turtle beach named Punaluu, take a tour to Waipio then come back on your own. At Hapuna, go early (limited parking) and drive into the resort from the guarded gate to the public beach that is next to the high rise hotel. It is a great swimming beach and has showers and bathrooms. On the north end, drive to the very end of highway 270 to Pololu and walk the steep muddy trail, it is a miniature Waipio. Also drive to Keokea Park from that road, a tiny scenic beach. Walk through the cemetary near there, to look over the edge into the ocean. West of Hawi, there is a beach at an old pier/dock that has good snorkeling (bright yellow fish), with fewer people than in the Kona and Capt. Cook Monument area. One of the guidebooks has a lot of snorkel info, maybe Big Island Revealed. In Hilo, there is a used book store in the industrial park between the main highway and the airport runways. Other than Costco, grocery shop at KTA stores in Kona, two in Hilo (suburban and downtown), Waimea/Kamuela, and at Sack and Save. The WalMarts only have a few groceries, the Kona one is next to Safeway. We buy the deli foods at those stores. At thrift stores, we get utensils for picnicking at the beaches, then return them on our last day on the island.

Gorgeous Anthurium bouquets were $5 at the Hilo Farmers Market. We carry it with us from motel to motel. Google Anthurium photos.

The lava has not flowed into the ocean for several years. When it does, it is worth the trip to see it. Then come back the next day on your own without the tour guide. Go to the the national park at night to see the glow from the lava lake.

For real estate, a MLS search service is alohaliving.com
heyyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 03:12 AM   #18

The helicopter trip from Hilo is cheaper than from Kona to see the larva flow. But we did have great snorkeling experience at Captain Cook Monument area.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 09:45 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
If interested there are tours that will take you to the top of Mauna Kea to see the telescopes and star gaze in one of the darkest places on earth. It pays to have time because cloudy weather cancels the trips.
The tours to the top of Mauna Kea are the biggest rip off. First of all you cant stay at the very top when it gets dark...you will be brought down to the visitor center.

You absolutely do not need 4 wheel drive to get to the top to view the telescopes. We did it in a standard car. When coming down just put it to a lower gear. You can keep it in the standard drive mode but do not ride the brakes. Unless you're a complete tool you can drive a regular car to the top.

At the visitors center you'll be above the clouds and able to view the dark sky. It takes a little while for your eyes to adjust. Its something to be seen.
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 05:11 PM   #20
Dryer sheet aficionado

Discount Hawaii rental car might be worth checking too. I'm heading back to Kauai in a few weeks, costco had the best deal for us this time.

Aloha
fishnfool is offline   Reply With Quote