Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-25-2010, 04:28 PM   #161
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Does this mean I can't tell anyone I've been stitching used dryer sheets together to make bath towels?
I'd never even heard of dryer sheets before I found this forum.

Okay, I give up, what is your new avatar? They look a bit like Devil's Dumplings
Attached Images
File Type: jpg avatar.JPG (8.8 KB, 96 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2010, 04:29 PM   #162
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I'll go you one better ! I am weaving together dryer sheets and the lint to make a new dock and to make sue I'm LBYM I'm only buying no name dryer sheets and buying them at the dollar store when I have a coupon !
What about Thrift Stores? Surely, used dryer sheets would work just as well. (Wait! Was that you that asked me not to call you Shirley?)
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 04:48 PM   #163
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
No.

As a place to get RV parts, its price is competitive with another local shop I went to, and in fact is sometimes lower. The labor charge (which I do not incur) is high, but to be fair, another local shop hangs a sign up front saying $120/hr labor, 1/2 hr minimum.

So, what's wrong with the Affinity Group (which is the parent corp of Camping World as I just found out)? There are always rows of RVs parked there, waiting to be serviced.
Actually $100-$120/hour is kind of the going rate for RV techs. I think it's more like $105 or so down here.

But CW has several "fixed price" options for routine maintenance that other shops can't beat, so we go there for that (like annual maintenance on RV fridge - for example). Our experience with their RV service has been very good in general and their techs seem well trained and experienced.

By all means - do it yourself. But we are often glad to pay someone else to take care of more complex and messy things for us. Especially anything that requires putting the RV on a lift! or any major chassis repair. We do most of the "house" maintenance ourselves.

Audrey
Old 04-25-2010, 04:52 PM   #164
Moderator Emeritus

I knitted up a big sail out of gently used dental floss for Moemg's boat to use when she gets the dock finished.

I actually did just now resuscitate some dry yeast with a label expiration date of 12/08 to make some focaccia. I'm going to sell it just outside the Hostess outlet store! Where in answer to Alan's question I purchased my day-old Hostess Sno Balls, featured in my avatar this week.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:26 PM   #165
Give me a forum ...

Just to take the other extreme (wouldn't want to let the LBYM overshadow the non-LBYM, would we? ) Frank and I actually briefly considered the possibility of getting an RV this afternoon.

We tentatively decided it is not for us at this time, but we THOUGHT about it, at least. We were trying to figure out a good way to get out of doing yardwork AND not deal with an HOA and/or fees AND not throw much rent into a black hole.

The closest solution that we thought of are some small doubles (=duplexes) down in the Faubourg Marigny built back in horse-and carriage days that have no side or front yards that would meet these criteria. Some even have off-street parking. But they seem a little pricey to us and there have been a few too many murders down there in the past few years for me to feel the warm fuzzies, even thought I love the architectural detail on these old structures (similar to the attached photo) and it doesn't flood as much down there.

Besides, we haven't really decided what state we want to live in, yet. Plenty of time to muse about the various possibilities. And no matter what, a Class A is out of the question for us!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg marigny03.jpg (63.8 KB, 0 views)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 07:47 PM   #166
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Frank and I actually briefly considered the possibility of getting an RV this afternoon.
Very slowly, in tiny little steps, we're bringing you around...
Old 04-25-2010, 08:17 PM   #167
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
SEC Lawyer, you are entitled to and owe no apologies for your second and third homes.
And yes, this board leans toward less expensive lifestyles. Nonetheless, a second home that sits idle much of the year is a luxury.

Sorry, but not so. This would mean that Bill Gates’ 66000 SQ house is “thrifty” because he has billions and lives beneath his means. It is instead a public display of opulence and conspicuous consumption.

Like you, he too is entitled to the house(s) of his choice and need make no excuses. But don’t call it thrift – especially when bragging.
I don't begrudge Bill his big house. He is giving away most of his fortune and has not fallen into the trap of spending money on alimony.

I wonder if there is a security concern. Those kids don't just wander over to neighbours to play, right? So they have to create a complete world within the family gate.

This reminds me of the story I heard, maybe its an urban myth, of Bill and the wife getting stuck with a flat tire halfway up to Whistler. A part was missing for the jack and they were stranded, no cell service. Guy in a pick up truck shows up, does not recognise him, switches the tire.

Bill tries to get the guys name but he is suspicious. Bill gives him his card and asks him to email him. No go. He did get the plates, and Microsoft legal was dispatched to find out who the guy was.

Next month his mortgage check was returned. He was told Bill Gates had paid it off.
Kroeran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:17 PM   #168
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Very slowly, in tiny little steps, we're bringing you around...
Scary, isn't it?

Old 04-25-2010, 08:24 PM   #169
Dryer sheet aficionado

I guess if you can afford it, why not!
Old 04-25-2010, 08:26 PM   #170

Quote:
We were trying to figure out a good way to get out of doing yardwork AND not deal with an HOA and/or fees AND not throw much rent into a black hole.
!
I see a lot of yards being converted to no maintenance. Just replace the grass with perennials, slow growing hedges, brickwork, woodchips.

or this approach

Old 04-25-2010, 08:29 PM   #171
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I knitted up a big sail out of gently used dental floss for Moemg's boat to use when she gets the dock finished.

I actually did just now resuscitate some dry yeast with a label expiration date of 12/08 to make some focaccia. I'm going to sell it just outside the Hostess outlet store! Where in answer to Alan's question I purchased my day-old Hostess Sno Balls, featured in my avatar this week.

When I finish the dock I am going to also use dental floss( only used once ) to make crab traps and also a volley ball net for our pool . We are really going Green !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:30 PM   #172
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroeran View Post
I see a lot of yards being converted to no maintenance. Just replace the grass with perennials, slow growing hedges, brickwork, woodchips.

or this approach

Hmm! Now those are some good ideas. I'll bring them up the next time Frank and I discuss this. Thanks, Kroeran.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:09 PM   #173
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Frank and I actually briefly considered the possibility of getting an RV this afternoon.
I knew it would work.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:18 PM   #174

Quote:
Hmm! Now those are some good ideas. I'll bring them up the next time Frank and I discuss this. Thanks, Kroeran.
this is what got my Florida juices going years ago and living on the water

The Travis McGee series by John D. MacDonald

John D MacDonald's Travis McGee series
Old 04-25-2010, 09:21 PM   #175
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroeran View Post
this is what got my Florida juices going years ago and living on the water

The Travis McGee series by John D. MacDonald

John D MacDonald's Travis McGee series
I love Travis McGee! I think I have all of that series, or very nearly so. Haven't re-read them for 30 years probably, but maybe I should.

Old 04-25-2010, 11:13 PM   #176
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Just to take the other extreme (wouldn't want to let the LBYM overshadow the non-LBYM, would we? ) Frank and I actually briefly considered the possibility of getting an RV this afternoon.
And no matter what, a Class A is out of the question for us!
Just a short 1st trip in our 26' class C confirmed that it is the right size RV for us. Save the class As for full-timers. This class C is about as big a vehicle as I want to drive around. Even so, its cargo carrying capacity of more than 2200 lbs is more than adequate for us. Think of all the toys you and Frank can take with you. Kindle, desktop PCs, Wii, or whatever, bring them all along.

It just occurs to me that I can claim this RV to be my "second" vacation home. Yes, it is now our turtle shell when we travel domestically.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 03:04 AM   #177
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivinDave View Post
I guess if you can afford it, why not!
I can afford it, but don't want it. Too much w*rk.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:44 AM   #178
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
As a place to get RV parts, its price is competitive
Today, I was looking for a TV mount and remembered that Tweety's has been my "go to" RV parts place. (There are others, of course, but the point is there are other options.)
Old 04-26-2010, 10:47 AM   #179
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I camped next to "Mr. Tweety" himself last year. Guy in his late 30's in a Class C.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:05 AM   #180
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
I can afford it, but don't want it. Too much w*rk.
+1 I have a hard enough time keeping up with one house, much less two. There are other things that I would rather do with the oceans of time we experience in retirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I camped next to "Mr. Tweety" himself last year. Guy in his late 30's in a Class C.
There is something distinctly obscene about that nickname. Can you imagine being known to the world as "Mr. Tweety"?