Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-30-2010, 07:02 AM   #201
Moderator Emeritus

NW - my DW is like your sister - likes hotels, downtown areas, and shopping. And she does not care for the 'journey' of traveling. She wants to get where she wants to go as fast as possible.

Yesterday I went to a local tool/woodworking shop for supplies. Coincidently there is an RV dealer in the same building. I'm going to look into renting
a Class B van to see if can change DW's mind.

RV Rentals in Iowa and RV Rentals in Illinois

Do you have pics of your dinghy?
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2010, 11:48 PM   #202
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes, here's my dinghy to be. To be because I have not bought and installed the tow bracket.

It's a second-hand Saturn SC2 (towable) with 49K miles. I am having 2nd thoughts about using it as a dinghy. Been driving minivans and SUVs for the last 20+ years, I no longer like the low seat height. I want to give it to my son (he loves it as he is driving a real clunker), and to get myself a Honda CR-V which is also towable. However, DW protested "Where would you put it?".

So, no real dinghy yet.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 06:30 AM   #203
Moderator Emeritus

Nice dinghy - but I agree - you need something with a higher seat height. Its easy getting in low cars but tough getting out. A Honda CR-V would be perfect - good gas mileage too
Old 05-01-2010, 10:50 AM   #204
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
It's easy getting in low cars but tough getting out...
And you are still driving a Vette?

I am still limber enough (ask me again in 10 5 years), but the change in elevation from an RV driving position to the low car seat is disturbing.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 01:19 PM   #205
Give me a forum ...

I am currently at my second (vacation) home, and it is a very good thing!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 05:38 AM   #206
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
And you are still driving a Vette?

I am still limber enough (ask me again in 10 5 years), but the change in elevation from an RV driving position to the low car seat is disturbing.
Yes - I know how disturbing the elevation change can be - I'm changing between my vette and F-150 pickup. I'm splitting some seams in the drivers seat of the vette where I grab on to catapult me out of the car.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:52 AM   #207
Give me a forum ...

2nd vacation homes and condos are great. I am thrilled that a lot of people own them.

DW and I choose lease or rent them from the owners. It is a win-win situation. It helps the owners defray some of their cost. We can have a relatively low cost place to stay for weeks or months with the flexibility of going to different locations and not worrying about our investment 12 months a year.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 07:48 AM   #208
Dryer sheet wannabe

I am looking at a "condo" (converted hotel room) type second home at the beach. It is in a complex with several hundred rooms and has all the pools and hot tubs a person could want. There is an on-site rental company that will manage everything for you for about 45% of the rental price. Not great, but easy for me.

I am looking at a foreclosure unit with low HOA fees (side ocean view). Does anyone in this thread have this type of second home?
neatokimmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:31 PM   #209
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
The property management fee seems excessive (45%) where 25% would be the norm (high).
Old 05-04-2010, 09:49 AM   #210
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatokimmo View Post
I am looking at a "condo" (converted hotel room) type second home at the beach. It is in a complex with several hundred rooms and has all the pools and hot tubs a person could want. There is an on-site rental company that will manage everything for you for about 45% of the rental price. Not great, but easy for me.

I am looking at a foreclosure unit with low HOA fees (side ocean view). Does anyone in this thread have this type of second home?
I would check closely on the governance structure for the property and the relationship of the rental company to the HOA - smells to me that the builder may have imposed an exploitive permanent contract on the HOA

and never buy any condo without sitting in on at least one HOA meeting. Info collected from a tenant on the property regarding trouble will be more arms length than info from a current owner.

also, if you are looking in the Southeast, wait a month or so and pick up the unit for half the current price at the peak of the oil spill hysteria
Kroeran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:38 AM   #211
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroeran View Post
...if you are looking in the Southeast, wait a month or so and pick up the unit for half the current price at the peak of the oil spill hysteria
Dirty market timer!

It might take more than a month but it is good advice. Everyone should look for extra bargains in the Panhandle et al.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:52 PM   #212

we''ll know its time to buy when Time magazine has a cover story declaring the end of coastal living!

I am surprised its taking so long to assemble a shroud to put over the leak in order to collect the oil at source.
Kroeran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 07:36 AM   #213

Just bought a waterfront condo as vacation home. Plan is to use it and rent it out over the next eight years until we retire. Will use it a few weeks a year in the beginning and increase that every year until we finally sell our primary home and move there for good. Had not really planned on buying this early but couldn't pass up the deal from someone who needed to get out now.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:09 AM   #214
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congratulations. Where is it? Photos?
Nosy board members Inquiring minds want to know.
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 08:12 AM   #215

Thanks. It is in Cozumel and the photo under my name is the view from the terrace.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:58 AM   #216
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTravlin View Post
Thanks. It is in Cozumel and the photo under my name is the view from the terrace.
Congratulations! I'm sure this will be a great decision for you and your family.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:43 AM   #217
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTravlin View Post
I went diving down their in 79. Palencar was great. Is the condo down that way? I heard they have developed south. When I was there there was no development more than a mile or so south of town.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:56 AM   #218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Congratulations! I'm sure this will be a great decision for you and your family.
Thanks, time will tell for sure but I think it will work out well.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:01 PM   #219

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I went diving down their in 79. Palencar was great. Is the condo down that way? I heard they have developed south. When I was there there was no development more than a mile or so south of town.
Actually, the condo is on the south edge of town. We liked the location for the convenience factor. Don't need a car if we don't really want one. The grocery is across the street and half a block down. Plus we are within a ten minute walk of numerous inexpensive restaurants that serve great food and cold cervezas.

My wife and I absolutely love diving and one big appeal is most dive ops will pick us up at the pier right out back. The Palancar reef area is still a great dive. There are several resorts along the southern end of the island but they are not wall to wall like some other places.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:57 PM   #220
Give me a forum ...

Article in today's Financial Post arguing against purchasing a second vacation home.....

Vacation property best left rented