Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-28-2016, 08:38 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
I think noting your children's sex while describing their attributes is pretty sexist of you.
LOL - Sexist would be if I was generalizing about teenage boys in general. I was being very specific (and accurate) about these specific boys. And they happen to be male, not female.

Can I also mention they are tall - or is that heightist? What about the fact that they both have huge feet - or is that podist?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2016, 09:33 PM   #22
Administrator

I assume genrntz was being facetious. The alternative is too pathetic to contemplate.

Old 02-28-2016, 10:36 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
LOL - Sexist would be if I was generalizing about teenage boys in general. I was being very specific (and accurate) about these specific boys. And they happen to be male, not female.

Can I also mention they are tall - or is that heightist? What about the fact that they both have huge feet - or is that podist?
Don't forget "YUUGE appetites."

We have three boys; who fit into four "school years." (luckily, all out of college now) Yeah, obnoxious as know-it-all teens, especially since all three were/are math geeks. DW is OBG--she, as a complete sexist, remains convinced that she was lucky not to have a teen-aged girl or two.
Old 02-28-2016, 11:16 PM   #24

In addition to the great ideas above, in NYC, go for a walk on the Brooklyn bridge.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:11 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I assume genrntz was being facetious. The alternative is too pathetic to contemplate.
+1
Old 02-29-2016, 06:23 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you are in moderate to OK shape DC's bike share program is a great way to get around from site to site without a lot of effort. The same thing is available in NYC and I understand they have added a boatload of bike lanes. Download a spotcycle app to show you where stations are and how many bikes/stations are available For a short trip to DC a circuit of the Mall, Arlington Cemetery, the monuments, the White House and the Capitol is a must. If you can't bike it, use a hop on hop off bus. If you are there on a weekend, while you are visiting the Capitol peddle over to Eastern Market to mill with the crowds at the outdoor craft and farmer's markets.
Old 02-29-2016, 06:57 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
The Smithsonian.
+1 I particularly like the Air & Space Museum. Also, I would highly recommend the National Archives. There is something important about seeing the actual Declaration of Independence and Constitution.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:18 AM   #28

Interesting thing...James Smithson never set foot in the U.S.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 07:24 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

DC will be easy to do for teenage boys -

- Air & Space will be #1 I would think
- I would then think the American History Museum would be the next best bet over the Natural History Museum but depends on what they like
- Try to get tickets for a White House tour
- Capital Tour is good
- Definitely see the monuments in the mall from Lincoln to Washington
- Are they really into animals? Zoo has the giant pandas which are hard to find in other places
- Archives is a good idea
- Could do the Mint - I did that tour when I was about that age and still remember it but with limited time there are bigger places to go to
- If there's a supreme court nominee it might be interesting to go see protestors if there are some to talk about our freedoms and how government works

NYC
- Good suggestions so far. Might be interesting to hang out in Washington Square Park and see the street chess players for a bit
Old 02-29-2016, 08:02 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I forgot about the Bureau of Engraving & Printing. I'm sure your kids would enjoy seeing where paper money is printed. Tickets are required during the summer months.

U.S. Bureau of Engraving and Printing - Services

The National Zoo is excellent, but you folks in San Diego may have the world's best zoo, so I don't know if that would be high on your list.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:13 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
For DC, the Spy Museum was better than I expected. It's not part of the Smithsonian, so there is a fee. They have a package that includes a group experience with spy-craft activities, which we enjoyed with our daughter. Based on your description of your two boys, I think this would be right up their alley. There's also a package with a walking tour of relevant sites, but it was freezing outside (literally) when we were there, so we didn't do that one. The Spy Museum is closest to the Gallery Place / Chinatown metro stop on the yellow line.

I also like to visit the National Archives occasionally. There's just something about seeing the original documents that gets to me. Archives has its own metro stop on the yellow line.

Other museums to consider on the mall are the Air & Space Museum and the Museum of American History. Maybe Natural History if you're not going to see the one in NY or if you feel a strong need to see the Hope Diamond.

You could also walk around the tidal basin and enjoy the monuments. You can see the Lincoln Memorial, Washington Monument, WWII, Jefferson, FDR, MLK, Korean War and probably a couple of others on an urban hike of about 3 miles. Or you could rent bikes from one of the Bikeshare stands and do it that way.

There's Arlington cemetery. The changing of the guard at the tomb of the unknown soldiers is very moving, and there are a lot of interesting monuments and stories behind them throughout the cemetery. Arlington is on the blue line.

The Marines do Evening Parade at 8th & I (you need tickets for this).

There's also the White House, the Capitol, Library of Congress, Supreme Court, etc -- way more than you can cover in 2.5 days, but hopefully this gives you some ideas.

The boys will love the Spy museum. It was my favorite experience when we spent a week in DC last May. They can easily spend 4+ hours in there and have a great time. It's also close to Ford's theater which has seriously upgraded their tour in the past 20 years.

You have to get tickets well in advance to get into the White House. It was cool to go there though.

I found the Supreme Court very interesting.

Visiting the monuments at night by bus tour was worth every penny, and since everything is really crowded, not having parking and taxi hassles is nice.

Use the Metro. You can get rechargeable cards at many retailers. We bought ours at a local Walgreens for $8. You don't have to take your card out of your wallet to go through, just hold the wallet over the sensor.

The Smithsonian is huge. Probably not enough time to do it justice. Maybe pick one or two to check out.

A tour of Mount Vernon down the Potomac is another idea. We took a boat in the Potomac to get there (6 hr total). That eats up most of a day though.

NY: Circle boat tour of Manhattan island is good. Just walking around Times Square is great, and free!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 02-29-2016, 08:37 AM   #32

I lived in DC for a year. It is fun. Here are some thoughts

In one day you can do the Mall- Lincoln Memorial, Washington Monument, Vietnam memorial, and I think WW2 memorial and Korean memorial are in same area. If the day is hot, bring LOTS of water.

The white house is a walk from there as well. Bring water.

All the museums are free... I like air and space, my brother (which lived in Arlington) raved about the spy museum (I haven't done that yet). My parents love smithsonian. Any of those museums is a full day, minimum. Air and space likely 3 days, and the people suggesting smithsonian is a week plus are accurate based on what I have heard.

Arlington Cemetary is a good visit- I have done short trips to it more than once (3-4 hour trips). I also second going to old town Alexandria for a meal.

I also love Fords theatre- that is a short visit (you can do that in less than 4 hours), issue is it is further away than the other sites.

NYC I have only visited once. I stayed in Manhatten and did Radio City, Times square, and lots of stores in area for the 24 hours I was there.
Old 02-29-2016, 09:14 AM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sounds like a great trip Rodi.

I have only a couple of suggestions for you to check out.

For DC, check out Washington's residence Mt Vernon. It' about 10 miles south of DC and offers a great look into life at the time of our first President. It's a nice reprieve from the hustle and bustle of the city.

For NYC, check out the "top of the Rock". Going to the top of the Rockefeller Center in lieu of the Empire State Building will save you about 2-3 hours of standing in line. Also, the view from the Rock is much better, IMHO, as you are directly between the ESB and Central Park.

Great job, I'm sure the boys will have a great time.

Lazy Portfolio Investor:
AA: 55% Stocks
35% Bonds
10% Cash
NanoSour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:20 AM   #34

The boys would have great time climbing through the ductwork at the Spy Museum.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 02-29-2016, 10:33 AM   #35

I know you are visiting family in the Philly area, but if you haven't been to the Barnes collection, it is a very unique art museum that gets you thinking about how art and design go together in very interesting ways. You definitely need tickets in advance for it.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 11:10 AM   #36

I've got an equally know it all 15 year old daughter who listed her "must do's" for our upcoming NYC trip as Momofuku Ice Cream, shake Shack, and Big Gay (really, that's the name) Ice Cream. So, if your teenage boys want to meet teenage girls, go ice cream places, I guess.

Also, we will tour a few colleges. Columbia, NYU, perhaps Hofstra, St. John's.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:24 AM   #37

+1 on Natural History Museum, particularly the "armory" exhibit. Sounds hokey, but is very interesting for adults as well as youngsters.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:32 PM   #38

Since I'm a little late to this party... just a few thoughts on DC. 1) The Natural History Museum is currently renovating the dinosaur hall so, if your kids are dinosaur freaks, then the American Museum of Natural History in NYC will be much the better choice. 2) The Udvar-Hazy portion of Air and Space is FANTASTIC but is next to impossible to get to without a car. 3) Consider doing the mall/monuments at/just after sunset (or sunrise, but with teens this is not likely). The crowds are down, the heat is down and the light is beautiful. If you are really lucky, you'll get to the Korean War memorial in some fog - incredibly moving/creepy.
Old 02-29-2016, 01:10 PM   #39

For NYC, I'd definitely vote for the Highline and Central Park. People watching and casual eating at anything that appeals to you is also good. What are the boys interested in? I'd suggest coming up with some suggestions and seeing what they're interested in. If they have any particular musical interests, check the listings in Time Out New York to see if there is anyone playing that would be of interest.
Old 03-01-2016, 05:55 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

NYC--china town, WO HOPS. Canal/Mott street. I went here frequently back in 1980, thank you US NAVY! It's still there and still the best Chinese food, as verified by my son last year.