Join Early Retirement Today

Advice for best approach to Irma delay
Old 09-05-2017, 04:10 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Advice for best approach to Irma delay

In Peru now. Booked on flight from Cusco to Bogata on Thursday the 7th. Then, from Bogata connection to arrive Miami on the 8th. Connecting flight to JFK same day from Miami. The Miami part looks doubtful 😔. The flights were made independently.

Avianca has flights to JFK and Boston on the 8th. Either work for us. Right now we are expecting Avianca to update their itenerary. So we could get lucky but hoping for more than that.

I expect more experience travelers may have some tips to help us get on the Avianca flight to JFK or Boston. Your suggestions are appreciated. I do appreciate sympathy emails but my coverage here is often limited. I thank you now for your thoughts but advice and suggestions would be most helpful.
savory is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2017, 06:39 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davef View Post
... advice and suggestions would be most helpful.
I have a few jillion air miles from Olden Times. One thing I learned is that when a flight is canceled or changed while I am at the airport the thing to do is to immediately telephone the airline's reservations number for rebooking. That effectively puts you ahead of that airplane full of people who were told to line up at the counter for reticketing. Make sure you have all those airline numbers already in your trip stuff or on your phone.

I flew out of a Northwest (RIP) hub and I still remember the reservation number: 1-800-225-2525 Key to survival for me at one time.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:04 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Why not switch to Bogata to Houston? Or to Atlanta? There is no need to go through Miami since you are ending up in New York.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Why not switch to Bogata to Houston? Or to Atlanta? There is no need to go through Miami since you are ending up in New York.
Avianca flies to JFK but they want $4,000 to make the change without a weather delay. Cheap tics, high change fees
Old 09-09-2017, 02:02 PM   #5

Thanks for your help. Made it home yesterday about noon. Full flight coming out of Miami. Beside a short delay, no problem.

We arrived from Bogota on a super size plan. It was fairly empty going to Miami. But there was a ton of people at the Avianca gate making their way out of Miami.

We are safe and hope all of those living in Florida come out of this storm with their health and belongings.
Old 09-09-2017, 02:19 PM   #6

Thanks for your help. Made it home yesterday about noon. Full flight coming out of Miami. Beside a short delay, no problem.

We arrived from Bogota on a super size plan. It was fairly empty going to Miami. But there was a ton of people at the Avianca gate making their way out of Miami.

We are safe and hope all of those living in Florida come out of this storm with their health and belongings.
Old 09-09-2017, 02:27 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Good you got home. Avianca is the only airline that has crashed a plane in my neighborhood. I will always remember that.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 02:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Good you got home. Avianca is the only airline that has crashed a plane in my neighborhood. I will always remember that.
The hurricane looked like a sure thing. I expect the an Avianca crash was a long shot. But is this the definition of "I will get you coming and going"