Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-23-2016, 06:43 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Sounds like you want to go into the south of Yellowstone so I would stay around Jackson if I could find something affordable! Cody is closet to the east entrance, but probably a little less expensive.... We stayed in West Yellowstone once and it is a nice town and very affordable, but a bit off the beaten path too.....

Denver to Grand Tetons/Yellowstone is a long drive - if it were me I would take the time to break it up a bit. I have been thru Thermopolis and don't recall much there unless you are really into hot springs. That would be a reason that I would consider staying there a couple of days myself though. I think it is about 2 hours from Cody, but not really on the way to Jackson....

Why Denver? Do you have something planned already there? Traffic is terrible on I-25 and if you hit it at rushhour it will take a long time to get thru! If I had spare time I would detour through through the mountains and enjoy a few days in the Colorado Rockies instead..... Like someone mentioned Steamboat Springs is a great little town (we are going there next weekend!) From south (Co Springs area) I-25 to W-470 to West I-70 will get you to the mountains a lot faster that coming all the way up I-25 to the I-70 interchange.

Best option if you are coming from the east is to hit I-80 into Cheyenne, Wy instead of I-70 into Denver and avoid all the traffic mess completely......

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2016, 06:27 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KmmFIdreamer View Post
Sounds like you want to go into the south of Yellowstone so I would stay around Jackson if I could find something affordable! Cody is closet to the east entrance, but probably a little less expensive.... We stayed in West Yellowstone once and it is a nice town and very affordable, but a bit off the beaten path too.....

Denver to Grand Tetons/Yellowstone is a long drive - if it were me I would take the time to break it up a bit. I have been thru Thermopolis and don't recall much there unless you are really into hot springs. That would be a reason that I would consider staying there a couple of days myself though. I think it is about 2 hours from Cody, but not really on the way to Jackson....

Why Denver?
We are stopping over in Denver for a couple nights to see a college friend. She has invited me many times over the last 30+ years and I am finally making good on my promise to visit.

DH and I first planned to just head that way and see where the car took us. Then we decided to visit Yellowstone and learned that reservations in the park can be tricky so we booked a few nights.

This is our first trip out this direction. There is so much to see and "no real plans" turned into "too many plans" while I was not paying attention.

Thank you for your input. This is all very helpful.

Old 08-01-2016, 11:54 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyes View Post
We are stopping over in Denver for a couple nights to see a college friend. She has invited me many times over the last 30+ years and I am finally making good on my promise to visit.

DH and I first planned to just head that way and see where the car took us. Then we decided to visit Yellowstone and learned that reservations in the park can be tricky so we booked a few nights.

This is our first trip out this direction. There is so much to see and "no real plans" turned into "too many plans" while I was not paying attention.

Thank you for your input. This is all very helpful.
I hear you about the "too many plans" on a trip. Be sure to take time to just kick back and relax. Perhaps this won't be your only trip to/thru Colorado and you can get to enjoy our state a little more at another time....
Old 08-01-2016, 12:14 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Driggs is a nice alternative to Jackson. Cheaper and off the beaten path. And the west side of the Tetons is a nice alternative to the national park if you want to avoid the crowds. When I was there a few years ago, we hiked in the park for a couple hours from Jenny Lake and saw hundreds of other hikers. The next day we hiked a similar trail from the west side and I could count on one hand the other people we encountered.