Join Early Retirement Today

Advice: from Denver to Yellowstone, via Grand Tetons
Old 07-20-2016, 08:16 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Advice: from Denver to Yellowstone, via Grand Tetons

In a few weeks, plans are for us to take a road trip to Denver. ...through Grand Tetons to Yellowstone. (3 nights in Yellowstone, then heading back to Arkansas).

Where do you suggest we stay en route from Denver to Yellowstone?

Thermopolis, WY
Jackson, WY
Cody, WY

Each of these has been suggested: TA and by Googling
We want what makes most sense, time wise.

Thanks.
ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2016, 08:49 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyes View Post
In a few weeks, plans are for us to take a road trip to Denver. ...through Grand Tetons to Yellowstone. (3 nights in Yellowstone, then heading back to Arkansas).

Where do you suggest we stay en route from Denver to Yellowstone?

Thermopolis, WY

Jackson, WY

Cody, WY

Each of these has been suggested: TA and by Googling

We want what makes most sense, time wise.

Thanks.

I say Jackson. Fun town. We stayed at the Rusty Parrot. Great place.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:26 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Doing this trip now. Departed Denver up through Winter Park with a stop in Steamboat. First night is in Rock Springs, WY and then on to West Yellowstone (via Jackson).
clobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:51 PM   #4

Only 3 nights in Yellowstone? Are you spending anytime in Grand Teton?

If not staying in Grand Teton - I'd stay in Jackson - it's close to Grand Teton and you can spend some time exploring before driving into Yellowstone.

Yellowstone is a HUGE park - 3 days isn't enough, IMO.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:54 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I vote for Jackson. We also stayed at the Rusty Parrot one night after two nights in the Lodge at Grand Teton NP. Both were nice but Rusty Parrot was nicer.
Persn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 05:18 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I recommend Jackson. Great town.

We did the reverse trip a few years ago. Recommend you go through Steamboat, then through Rocky Mountain National Park (There is a fee - ~$30-40 per car?, but well worth it.). Also a few hikes along the way, if you are into that.

In Steamboat, stop by Taco Cabo for the best burrito you ever had .Fish Creek Falls is a quick/short hike to a nice water fall.

We stayed in Rock Springs. Don't recall much there, but we got in late, and left early.
tgotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 05:25 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I made that trip in 1966 with six friends. We camped at Tetons Park but would have chosen Jackson to stay in if we could afford motels. I imagine its a whole different world today.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:35 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

The Rusty Parrot looks really nice and it gets wonderful ratings. But room availability is just not there--sold out. And $362 per night is out of my price range anyway.

The Lodge is also nice, however it's a $300ish property--which I'm not going to pay. My cousin's son and family are up there this week.

We're heading that way in 2017, but I'd like to stay somewhere priced reasonably.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 06:38 AM   #9

The museums in Cody are worthwhile. Five in one place.
https://centerofthewest.org
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:30 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

The rodeo in Cody is also quite popular.

http://www.codystampederodeo.com

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
SteveNU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Only 3 nights in Yellowstone? Are you spending anytime in Grand Teton?

If not staying in Grand Teton - I'd stay in Jackson - it's close to Grand Teton and you can spend some time exploring before driving into Yellowstone.

Yellowstone is a HUGE park - 3 days isn't enough, IMO.
Based on everything I have read, you are correct. And, there is a small chance we may add one more night in Yellowstone if we feel like it and catch a cancellation. Otherwise, we will just make the best of our short time there and perhaps revisit someday.

Thank you for all the input. Jackson seems to be #1 recommendation, while Thermopolis has yet to be.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:01 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I have been to each of your choices many times. My vote goes to Cody. Thermopolis is interesting but not enough there to deserve a "stop." Jackson is way too upscale (and accompanying expensive) for me. Cody has a lot to offer in the way of history -- museums, small town ambience, etc. Accommodations are much reasonable and the scenic drive from there to Yellowstone is well worth it.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 12:24 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I've been out there too and I vote for Jackson. Spend the next day in the Tetons on the way to Yellowstone. I spent 10 days between the two so I also vote for more time.
Old 07-21-2016, 12:42 PM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You can also stay in Jackson hole which is just a few miles north of Jackson which is the ski resort area - taking the tram up to the top of the mountain is fun

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 02:59 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

We stayed 2 days in the Grand Tetons which was enough but only 4 days in Yellowstone and that was not enough time.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:24 PM   #16

If your trip is before Labor Day your lodging choices may be limited, your heading to a very popular summer destination. Jackson or Teton Village (better) are both good as a home base for visiting Grand Teton NP. Or better yet maybe look for some last minute lodging cancellations inside Grand Teton NP.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:18 PM   #17

Note that part of the issue is do you want to do the Beartooth Highway which implies Cody to Red Lodge Mt, and into the Northeast Entrance An All-American Road in Wyoming & Montana | Beartooth Highway | Montana & Wyoming Scenic Drives
Yellowstone has North Northeast, East, South and West Entrances. Cody would let you take the East Entrance, or for more time the Northeast Entrance (gets to 10947 in Wy and 10350 in MT. Spectacular Mountain Scenery.
Note that assuming no traveler is over 62 you might want to buy a years pass, or if at least one traveler is over 62 buy the $10 lifetime pass for all national parks.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:02 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Note that part of the issue is do you want to do the Beartooth Highway which implies Cody to Red Lodge Mt, and into the Northeast Entrance An All-American Road in Wyoming & Montana | Beartooth Highway | Montana & Wyoming Scenic Drives
Yellowstone has North Northeast, East, South and West Entrances. Cody would let you take the East Entrance, or for more time the Northeast Entrance (gets to 10947 in Wy and 10350 in MT. Spectacular Mountain Scenery.
Note that assuming no traveler is over 62 you might want to buy a years pass, or if at least one traveler is over 62 buy the $10 lifetime pass for all national parks.
All this advice is helpful. Right now, I am thinking staying at Cody after Denver. The Buffalo Bill Center sounds great.

As luck would have it, one of us is 62+. DH purchased his lifetime National Park Sr pass a few days ago --at Central High School Visitor Center in Little Rock. Wonders never cease.

Thanks again. DH and I have never driven very far out West. This is going to be a wonderful trip, even if it is shorter than ideal.
Old 07-21-2016, 10:15 PM   #19
gone traveling

Quote:
This is the ticket hands down. Buffalo Bill Museum is worth 4-6 hours. The Indian garments alone are spectacular as well as BB's life story. Beartooth Pass is as scenic as it gets. Go to Tetons from Ystone on way back home, not to Ystone.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:20 PM   #20
gone traveling

Quote:
This is the ticket hands down. Buffalo Bill Museum is worth 4-6 hours. The Indian garments alone are spectacular as well as BB's life story. Beartooth Pass is as scenic as it gets. Go to Tetons from Ystone on way back home, not to Ystone.

I'm jealous thinking about it as I sit here in Denali.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote