Advice? Normandy and Champagne?

stephenson

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Hi All,

We did Amsterdam to Paris via train a year ago - Paris is OK, but I liked the coastal areas in southern France (Perpignan) way better. Went by train - still way cool!

We like trains a lot - would love to fly into somewhere east (Germany or Switzerland?) and train to Champagne region and tour a bit with a couple of days in Normandy. Could fly back out somewhere - preferably other than Paris ...Could be a slower train with stops for touring, even ... looking for options!

Will be burning United points :) for the airfare.

Thoughts from those that have spent time in France?

Thanks!!!

The first option that comes to mind is to use the new LGV Est high speed line. You can board the train in Strasbourg, near the German border, stop near Reims to visit the Champagne region, then board the train again to Paris. I believe that Normandie is still only served by slower regional trains from Paris (but it is a short trip from there). If you don't want to use CDG to fly back out, London and Brussels are accessible by trains (Eurostar and Thalys respectively) from Paris.

When near Perpignan did you ride The Little Yellow Train? It's on our bucket list, (perhaps next year).

We too love trains.....looking forward to Bulgaria next month...we hear the trains there are old...yay....REAL trains!

The first option that comes to mind is to use the new LGV Est high speed line. You can board the train in Strasbourg, near the German border, stop near Reims to visit the Champagne region, then board the train again to Paris.

The LGV Est is about 10 years old - all they did recently was extend the high-speed part from the Metz area to Strasbourg (this had not been previously built because Strasbourg delayed confirming its contribution to the original line in the late 1990s until they had confirmation that the Germans would extend the high-speed system through to Munich, by which time it was too late to get that done in phase 1). This has cut a further 35 minutes from the Strasbourg-Paris journey time, which is now down to less than 1 hour 50 minutes for some trains (this is a 300-mile journey!).

Many of the trains from Strasbourg to Paris are non-stop, but the ones that go from Strasbourg to the CDG airport also stop at three TGV-only stations on the way. Two of these are in the sticks and need a car to get to the nearest major town, but the Champagne-Ardenne one is not too far from downtown Reims (about 25 minutes by local connecting train).

Getting from Reims to Normandy by train will mean taking a train to Paris, crossing the city on the Métro (or taxi or Uber), and taking another train out from a different station. Not a major ordeal, but something to be factored in.

Reims was just a couple of hours from Paris Est by train. Little connector train TGV station to downtown Reins station - quick and easy.

We did a "bubbles tour" from Reims - a minivan guided day trip to Epernay and surrounds, that was great. Included a multi-course champagne lunch.

Only Normany trip we did was a minivan tour to Monet's amazing garden and Van Gogh sites in Anvers-sur-Oise. Those are closer tomParis than the famous beach sites and coastal towns.

Alsace/Strasbourg quite a bit farther from Paris, but also a great region.

We went across Europe earlier this Spring. (See Europe by Volvo) We ended up in paris. We took a train from Paris out to Caen where we met a private tour guide for Normandy 2 day tour. It's about a 2 hour trip via train from St Lazare station to Caen. We saw the american beaches plus more. It was fantastic. Our guide grew up in Normandy so could tell us personal experiences of his family.

The personal one on one thing was great. We felt it added a lot to our understanding. if you are interested let me know & I will pass on his name

I spent quite abit of time in France. You may already know but there are Two main cities in Normandy. Caen and Rouen. I think they are not on the same train line though. Both are worth a look but there is much more in Rouen.
For the Normandy beaches, the Hoc Point is specially interesting. You probably have to take a tour guide or bus or rent a car from Caen to visit. The countryside in Normandy is very pretty West of Lisieux.
If going that way I would consider pushing to Mt St Michel. This got me curious of how to get there by train and this site has info on how to get there.
Access

From Germany to Paris Strasbourg is not to be missed and also in Nancy the "Place Stanislas" is stunning. I am not sure there is much in Champagne other than Reims cathedral unless you are interested in tasting the wine.

From East to West you have to pass through Paris and change station/train there.

In Normandy I would suggest the Bayeux Tapestry, the D-Day locations especially the American Cemetery and the Utah Beach museum, Mont Saint-Michel, and a bit beyond perhaps chateaux country around Tours & Amboise.

Just catching up ...been "internet challenged" at our lake house ...visiting the public library and as many bars-with-internet as possible :)

We've had to consider another option for 2018 - I posted today - a friend is trying to get a few couples together in Scicli in souther Sicily - so, we are punting for now on Nomandie.

Hi Nemo - sorry - we did not take the The Little Yellow Train - had not done enough research :)

Hi Nemo - sorry - we did not take the The Little Yellow Train - had not done enough research :)

DW and I will get to it.......eventually......I hope. :LOL:

A number of years ago we stopped in Epernay at the Moet and Chandon facility.

Had a great tour of the caves....can still remember the twickling of the bottles as they were being turned 1/4 turn manually.

In Normandy I would suggest the Bayeux Tapestry, the D-Day locations especially the American Cemetery and the Utah Beach museum, Mont Saint-Michel, and a bit beyond perhaps chateaux country around Tours & Amboise.
Yup and Honfleur is also a great side trip. Either that or Brittany.

Back
Top Bottom