Advice on cancelling trip

Scuba

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DH & I booked a 3-month trip to the ABC Islands (Aruba/Bonaire/Curaçao) for Dec-Feb. We’ve had some unplanned changes come up such that we prefer to cancel the trip. We didn’t buy cancellation insurance and even if we had, our reasons wouldn’t be covered. Our reasons are that we’ve decided to move to Palm Springs and will likely be in the midst of moving/settling in during this time, plus our dog was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and we don’t want to leave him this long.

Our airfare and lodging reservations are all non-refundable. Has anyone had any success canceling Air BnB/VRBO reservations and getting any value at all (credit for delayed trip, partial refund, etc)? If so what approach did you use with the host? Legally they’re not obligated to work with us, but winter is high season there so I would be surprised if they couldn’t re-rent their places with this much advance notice.

Thoughts?

The sooner you cancel, the better chance you have of getting anything back.

We cancelled Airbnb and lost the first night only. I am sorry to hear about your dog. They usually only live 6-18 months from diagnosis. My dog lived 8 months.

I would probably let them know your reasons (minus the moving part, focus on the need to be near your ailing dog and that it's a recent diagnosis, it sounds gross but an appeal to sympathy is better than saying "because I'm moving to palm springs"), and ask if there's anything you can do to work with them?

Your airfare should be re-usable (minus some fees) with most major airlines unless you went the super-economy types.

Check the credit card you booked the trip with. Many have cancellation insurance although they may be specific as to the reason(s) for cancellation.

We had tix to go to Costa Rica last March and travel buddies had to cancel. I was just going to write off the non-r plane tix (Delta). DS is a fairly high level customer, not sure whether silver, gold, or what, and he called on our behalf and POOF we had a credit for what we paid, just had to purchase same class tickets within a year. So if you or a relative has some status with an airline, it's worth a shot.

Non-refundable airfare can still provide a credit against another flight within a year, no? I think this is how many airlines handle it unless you bought basic economy tickets.

That’s quite different from non-refundable lodging.

Same thing happened to us once. We put our move on "pause" and went on the trip. Sometimes a vacation is what gets you through such an experience.

As far as the dog goes, they are such difficult decisions. When their bodily functions start failing, I'm sorry but it's time for them to go. Hope your dog can have some decent days ahead.

You don’t have to put a dog to sleep when first diagnosed. They are put on medication and just don’t have as much energy as before. Eventually you see a decline and you can tell when a dog is no longer enjoying life.

Thanks for your suggestions. We got our plane tickets with mileage so we can definitely redeposit the mileage with a fee. However we purchased premium seating (not Business or First, but extended leg room Coach) and I’m pretty sure we won’t get any credit on that. United charges a lot for their better coach seats.

Most of the $$ is lodging. I agree, the sooner we ask, the better and it probably is best to focus on the dog reason.

Our dog still has a good quality of life for now. He really doesn’t act much different, just can’t handle the 3-4 mile walks anymore but he goes 1-2 miles without any problem. Not sure how fast he’ll deteriorate though. When he’s in pain or seems to be suffering, we’ll do the right thing and put him out of his misery.

Unless I missed it, I don’t see any mention of trip insurance. Was that purchased? Usually the policies contain remedies for situations like this one.

Thanks for your suggestions. We got our plane tickets with mileage so we can definitely redeposit the mileage with a fee. However we purchased premium seating (not Business or First, but extended leg room Coach) and I’m pretty sure we won’t get any credit on that. United charges a lot for their better coach seats.

Most of the $$ is lodging. I agree, the sooner we ask, the better and it probably is best to focus on the dog reason.

Our dog still has a good quality of life for now. He really doesn’t act much different, just can’t handle the 3-4 mile walks anymore but he goes 1-2 miles without any problem. Not sure how fast he’ll deteriorate though. When he’s in pain or seems to be suffering, we’ll do the right thing and put him out of his misery.

We’ve had three dogs pass. They usually act much like themselves up until a few days, maybe a couple weeks. Then it becomes noticeable. Our one dog lost the use of her back legs. Another would no longer eat. It’s happens fast. It’s a sad time. I wish you the best.

Unless I missed it, I don’t see any mention of trip insurance. Was that purchased? Usually the policies contain remedies for situations like this one.

in the OP:

We didn’t buy cancellation insurance and even if we had, our reasons wouldn’t be covered.

The VRBO landlords should have their cancellation policy posted. You’re 3-4 months out. I’d think that would be OK, but I suppose it varies by location.

We’ve cancelled VRBO twice, within a couple of months of our trips, and had no problems getting a refund.

Has anyone had any success canceling Air BnB/VRBO reservations and getting any value at all (credit for delayed trip, partial refund, etc)? If so what approach did you use with the host? Legally they’re not obligated to work with us, but winter is high season there so I would be surprised if they couldn’t re-rent their places with this much advance notice.

Thoughts?

Most VRBO are able to cancel... Especially this far out... I cancelled a VRBO for a 3 month stay and got it 100% Refund... Just do it!

Is this a trip you might do in 20-21? If that is possible and you can't get your cash back you might get some owners to change your dates. It might diffuse any nasty cancellation fees.

We got our plane tickets with mileage so we can definitely redeposit the mileage with a fee. However we purchased premium seating (not Business or First, but extended leg room Coach) and I’m pretty sure we won’t get any credit on that. United charges a lot for their better coach seats.

If this is "Economy Plus", my experience with United is that I have gotten a refund for that fee when I have had to cancel a flight. I received a credit to use the flight in the future (less up to $200 rebooking fee) but have always been refunded the Economy Plus amount.

Air BnB/VRBO hosts have different policies. I have always requested a copy of their policy and only rented the property if I thought the policy was reasonable. My experience is that the closer you get to vacancy the higher the cancellation penalty. You are far enough in advance that you will probably be ok. I have never had to cancel but have moved dates without issue. Good luck.

All of the properties we booked had strict cancellation policies such as no refund after 48 hours of booking. We could not find properties we liked in the ABC Islands with liberal cancellation policies unless we booked hotels. Unless one buys “cancel for any reason” trip insurance, none of the policies covered pet illness or death. The travel industry doesn’t consider pets to be family members, apparently.

One of our hosts so far said she would work with us, but not sure of details yet.

Our air is regular economy, but we paid extra for extra legroom seats, early boarding privileges, etc. Pretty sure the airlines won’t refund those costs. Just hoping some or all of the landlords will give us at least a partial credit. I’m pretty sure they could rebook this far out if we cancel, as it will be high season there. If they won’t, I guess we will just keep our reservations in place and decide a day or two before departure for sure. No reason to give up the reservations until the last minute if we have to pay in full anyway.

All of the properties we booked had strict cancellation policies such as no refund after 48 hours of booking. We could not find properties we liked in the ABC Islands with liberal cancellation policies unless we booked hotels. Unless one buys “cancel for any reason” trip insurance, none of the policies covered pet illness or death. The travel industry doesn’t consider pets to be family members, apparently.

One of our hosts so far said she would work with us, but not sure of details yet.

Our air is regular economy, but we paid extra for extra legroom seats, early boarding privileges, etc. Pretty sure the airlines won’t refund those costs. Just hoping some or all of the landlords will give us at least a partial credit. I’m pretty sure they could rebook this far out if we cancel, as it will be high season there. If they won’t, I guess we will just keep our reservations in place and decide a day or two before departure for sure. No reason to give up the reservations until the last minute if we have to pay in full anyway.

those are some harsh conditions to cancel. I'd be uneasy booking that far out with those owners.

those are some harsh conditions to cancel. I'd be uneasy booking that far out with those owners.

Yeah they were pretty harsh but for these destinations, typical.

Is there any way you can take your dog? I know it would need to be small.

Scuba 3 months is a long trip. What were your plans for the dog before the illness appeared? Do you use a family member?

We like to wander around in the wintertime too, and for that reason when our last dog passed we didn't get another one. We have family very close to monitor our home, but thought weeks and or months of pet care was a lot to ask.

We considered it as the islands do allow importation of pets from the US, but we decided it would be too stressful for him. We took him to the USVI for 3 months in 2017, but he had a rough 2-3 weeks in the beginning with several minor medical issues that seemed to be driven by different plants, natural hazards, etc. This time we were moving between 4 locations on 3 different islands, so we decided he’d be better off at home with his pet sitter.

Scuba 3 months is a long trip. What were your plans for the dog before the illness appeared? Do you use a family member?

We like to wander around in the wintertime too, and for that reason when our last dog passed we didn't get another one. We have family very close to monitor our home, but thought weeks and or months of pet care was a lot to ask.

Yes it is a long time. We took him with us to USVI for three months in 2017, but decided not to this time as that trip was pretty stressful for him. We have an excellent pet sitter who takes care of our dog in her home. We left him for six weeks when we went to Greece, which was our longest time away from him, ever.

Now that he’s been diagnosed with CHF, we’d feel better being close by. So far one host has given us a full refund, and two of the other three said we’ll get a refund if they can resell their place. Fair enough. The last host hasn’t committed yet.

We have also agreed when we lose this dog, we will go petless for some time so that we can travel without feeling guilty and without the added cost. We will miss having a dog though - they’re such loyal companions!

Back
Top Bottom