Join Early Retirement Today

Advice on Yellowstone?
Old 02-24-2008, 05:02 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Advice on Yellowstone?

We will be in Salt Lake city in June and plan a road trip to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons. Any advice?

We have about two weeks - due to disability out of our control cannot do much hiking/climbing.
52andout is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2008, 06:33 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I love Yellowstone. The nice thing is that if you want to hike or climb there is plenty of it, but if you can't do much of that, there is still plenty to see.

This geyser is on a pretty flat walking loop just behind Old Faithful and it goes off every few minutes.

There are a number of stink pots, bubbling mud shows and geysers in easy reach of the main road. You simply take the circle tour around the park and stop and look at the sites.

We were in our RV and stayed in three different campgrounds. There also are nice lodges, like Yellowstone Lodge, on the circle route.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 10:01 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Old story goes that once the rangers at Yellowstone found a big bus steering wheel with attached post. They could tell from rumblings exactly when Old Faithful would blow, and they stuck the post in the ground nearby, and just before it blew, one ranger would yell "OK. Let 'er rip." The other ranger would turn the wheel as if opening a valve, and they geyser would shoot out of the ground.

A lot of tourists were very upset.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:22 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The nice thing about Yellowstone is that you can get almost everywhere by car.

If you can manage to do a little walking, try to take a walk around the boardwalk at Mammoth Hot Springs.

I took more pictures in Yellowstone than any other place I have traveled. Every location in Yellowstone has it's own unique beauty.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:06 PM   #5

Ive heard horrible things about the crowds? Any truth in that or just hogwash. Its on my list to do.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 12:12 PM   #6

I was there in peak season one July (around the 4th even) and it was fine.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:33 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40 View Post
I was there in peak season one July (around the 4th even) and it was fine.
Same here - went in August and it wasnt crowded - until a herd of buffalo laid down in the road and we had to wait an hour until they moved before we could drive on
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 03:42 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you. I have info coming from the State as well as from the library. We used to do the hiking/camping all over the national parks but now we are restricted to short walking on even surfaces and sleeping in beds. I think that we will try to stay in the lodges- usually not as modern but we like them. I am looking forward to the wildlife, and suspect we can get some great pictures even if we can't wander far. I also think we will miss a lot of the crowds getting there so early. June and Sept are our favorite times to visit national parks. Usually fully staffed and open, yet not nearly as crowded as July and August. So far my favorite is Bryce, followed by Mesa Verde, Grand Canyon, Yosemite and Zion. I am very excited to see this part of the country even if we have some limitations.
52andout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 05:01 PM   #9

Good to know about the crowds. Thanks for the input.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 06:10 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Yellowstone is great and very diverse. There is something for everyone.

We were there in our RV this past July and, as someone previously said, the only traffic jams are for bison, elk or bear.....

The Tetons are spectacular. We went up to Glacier NP in Montana also...breathtaking.

Like all places such as this - if you can get out early in the morning, you'll breeze around easily.

We also stayed in Cody, WY., about 60 miles from the eastern entrance of Yellowstone. The Buffalo Bill Museum there is world class and warrants at least 2 days to explore. Some call it the "Smithsonian of the West". Also, just a great cowboy town. Do the nightly Rodeo if you go.
ijuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 06:34 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We used to take the kids to Jackson Hole every year in late June, leaving just before the 4th. It worked out well.

It can be chilly in June, take a warm jacket. Skiffs of snow are not unusual.

I presume you will drive up to Idaho Falls, then head toward Swan Valley. From there you will choose to travel via Victor and Wilson or along the Snake River (Irwin, Alpine, then north). The Victor/Wilson route has stunning scenery but is windy and the road from Victor to Wilson requires good breaks and is not for those who fear heights. That is the route I take friends from flat lands! "Oh, my God!", was a common gasp of my guests.

Momma moose will challenge a car if surprised. Drive only during the day so you can see each other.

Enjoy your visit, it will be memorable.