Age and Yellow Fever Vaccination

fosterscik

Full time employment: Posting here.
Visitors to Bolivia need proof of yellow fever vaccination to gain entry. Not a problem for me or DW, but this vaccine is contraindicated for people over 60.

Given it is effective for 10 years after injection and booster shots cause far few complications, it may be wise to get this in your fifties if Bolivia (or other YF region) is on your bucket list.

FYI: YF vaccine is expensive and currently in short supply nationwide. We had to drive to the "big city" to get our shots - all the local health clinics were out of vaccine and did not knwo when they would be resupplied.

Useful advice!! I got this shot for "free" about a year before retiring on my health insurance during a visit to the travel clinic. I was going from the USA to Brazil for a wedding to Ecuador for language school. But I had to fudge and say I was going in the reverse order, as Brazil requires the shot if you have recently been in Ecuador (but not if coming from the USA). They would only give the shot if was required for a specific travel purpose.

If I recall, my research indicated that Yellow Fever was much more prevalent in Africa than South America (like an order of magnitude difference). But this could be dated information now.

When I was in a national park in Colombia there were big signs saying you should have your Yellow Fever shot.

I got mine in 2012 along with typhoid vaccination. IIRC, some folks get them in Peru before traveling to Bolivia. Is that an option for you?

In my travels, this is not enforced on Americans, especially those traveling straight to that country.

Bestwifeever: YF is not a problem at high altitude in Bolivia (where we're spending most of our time), BUT you will likely be denied entry to the country unless you have a YF certificate. It is required if you travel from Peru -> Bolivia. It may not be required if you fly directly to La Paz from the US.

SarahinSC: The vaccine takes a while to become effective - there's a 10-day period after vaccination before the YF certificate is valid.

Bestwifeever: YF is not a problem at high altitude in Bolivia (where we're spending most of our time), BUT you will likely be denied entry to the country unless you have a YF certificate. It is required if you travel from Peru -> Bolivia. It may not be required if you fly directly to La Paz from the US.

SarahinSC: The vaccine takes a while to become effective - there's a 10-day period after vaccination before the YF certificate is valid.

Right, that's why I said "may not be required."

If I thought I might be denied entry I would definitely get the shot, even after age 60. Maybe a booster for my 1963 vaccination.:LOL:

(I always think how easy it would be to fake the certifications on immunization records, etc. But I digress.)

Back
Top Bottom