Airlines are going to regret...

As for patriotic pandering, I call it respecting the sacrifice others are making and willing to give them this sort of perk at little cost to the rest of us. But thanks to their sacrifice, some of us are free to salute their service and some people are free to cynically dismiss any gestures of respect for them.

At the risk of getting off-topic, how many "perks" are enough? Why should they get preferential treatment boarding and disembarking planes? Don't they already get discounts on pretty much everything, not to mention multiple statutory holidays in their honour?

Also, they're not volunteers - they're paid. They didn't go overseas out of the goodness of their hearts. It's a job. A job with fantastic benefits (medical, pension, etc.)

But why limit it to soldiers? What about other people in virtuous professions? Maybe teachers and doctors should be allowed to board/unboard planes early, too? And police, firefighters, and paramedics?

How far do we take this? Do we extend it until the only people left waiting to board the planes are worthless janitors?

When everybody is a "hero," then nobody is a "hero."

Its nice owning my own plane, but its not cheaper than flying Commercial. But it is nice driving 10 min. to the airport and being ready to go in less than 30min. But while I have room for 4 people and luggage, I can only haul so much. I can take about 1150lbs and some of that needs to be fuel.

Its nice owning my own plane, but its not cheaper than flying Commercial. But it is nice driving 10 min. to the airport and being ready to go in less than 30min. But while I have room for 4 people and luggage, I can only haul so much. I can take about 1150lbs and some of that needs to be fuel.

Do you have to pat yourself down and take off your shoes? :LOL:

I flew last month, and am flying again (through Chicago O'Hare) this weekend and am definitely not looking forward to it. Nor is my wallet :mad:

At the risk of getting off-topic, how many "perks" are enough? Why should they get preferential treatment boarding and disembarking planes? Don't they already get discounts on pretty much everything, not to mention multiple statutory holidays in their honour?

Also, they're not volunteers - they're paid. They didn't go overseas out of the goodness of their hearts. It's a job. A job with fantastic benefits (medical, pension, etc.)

But why limit it to soldiers? What about other people in virtuous professions? Maybe teachers and doctors should be allowed to board/unboard planes early, too? And police, firefighters, and paramedics?

How far do we take this? Do we extend it until the only people left waiting to board the planes are worthless janitors?

Hey! I used to be a janitor (back in college). Without us all those service men and women would be getting infections from the toilet seats and tripping over the overflowing trash bins. I think janitors should be allowed to get on and off first. It's hard to be a hero with chewing gum stuck to your shoes.

kombat said:

I cannot see the comparison. We do not pay them commensurate with the risks, and they do their job often for long periods of time away from home. Their lives are often cut short...I think if we can give them a little gift of less wasted time- they deserve it more than the other professions you named. I appreciate your honest disagreement. I do wonder if your thoughts are as fully informed on the life of our servicemen and women or if you might feel otherwise if you really knew well the details if the life of those in the service.

I cannot see the comparison. We do not pay them commensurate with the risks, and they do their job often for long periods of time away from home. Their lives are often cut short...I think if we can give them a little gift of less wasted time- they deserve it more than the other professions you named. I appreciate your honest disagreement. I do wonder if your thoughts are as fully informed on the life of our servicemen and women or if you might feel otherwise if you really knew well the details if the life of those in the service.
Agreed.

When is the time that most of us put our lives on the line for others, regardless if we're "asked", or not (I was not asked, as a Nam vet - but I'll let it go at that). I will also include those noble professons of police, firemen, medical personal, etc. in my recognition. They serve you, like it or not.

Those that serve humanity through their actions deserve a bit more recognition, even if it is a place "at the head of the line" that may cost you a few moments of your life.

Last edited:
Those that serve humanity through their actions deserve a bit more recognition, even if it is a place "at the head of the line" that may cost you a few minutes of your life.

#1: They aren't "serving," they're being paid. They're no more risking their lives than cops, firefighters, or coal miners.

#2: "A bit more recognition" is open-ended. We have 3 holidays in their name. They get preferential treatment and discounts on all manner of things already. They're paid very well, plus generous pensions enabling very early retirement, medical benefits, free housing, extremely generous educational perks ... when is enough, enough? That's all I'm saying.

They already get all of that (on top of their paycheques), now you want to give them white-glove treatment on airplanes? Where does it end? And all because they turned wrenches as a mechanic on an aircraft carrier in the Gulf (hundreds of miles away from any actual hostile threats) for a few months in the 90's? Or they drove some munitions from a depot to the airport (all on friendly soil) for a few months in the mid-2000's?

We have this idea that every "veteran" was a veritable John Rambo, risking life-and-limb on a daily basis, under constant threat, deep behind enemy lines. But of course it's not like that. A lot of (most?) "veterans" had boring, mundane jobs, and were never in any actual real danger. Throw the paycheque, free housing, early retirement, their own entire medical care system, discounts on everything from insurance to vehicles to restaurants, and free education into the mix, and I feel they're well rewarded for their sacrifices already. I just don't see the need to deify a high school dropout who spent 2 years serving up spam and potatoes in Fort Bragg back in the 70's.

Now, on the other hand, if I ever come across any of the members of SEAL Team 6, they can have my firstborn child.

Last edited:
We have this idea that every "veteran" was a veritable John Rambo, risking life-and-limb on a daily basis, under constant threat, deep behind enemy lines. But of course it's not like that. A lot of (most?) "veterans" had boring, mundane jobs, and were never in any actual real danger. Throw the paycheque, free housing, early retirement, their own entire medical care system, discounts on everything from insurance to vehicles to restaurants, and free education into the mix, and I feel they're well rewarded for their sacrifices already.

I'm rather offended by this post...coming from a family with many who have served:

Twin brother deploying to Kuwait next week (Army Brigade Surgeon)
Father was a Test Pilot (Air Force)
Grandfather died in WWII (Army Infantry) <--- paid ultimate price for your freedom
(assuming you are American)

Regardless of the actual roles any service member played... they ALL deserve our utmost respect. You owe your very way of life to the sacrifices they, and their families, have made.

Last edited:
[mod hat on]

Everyone takes a deep breath. Let's get back on topic, please.

[mod hat off]

I apologize for the off-topic diversion. It seems we will have to agree to disagree. To anyone who has lost family or friends in military conflicts, my deepest sympathies and gratitude.

It seems we will have to agree to disagree.
Not really. I don't agree, and take extreme offense to your comments.

From your forum name, I suppose you got your "combat experience" on video games rather than live fire as I (and I wish upon no one) and many vets have done in the present, and the past. Well, good 4 U. We will certainly use your knowledge of combat tactics to help us out in the future.

"I just don't see the need to deify a high school dropout who spent 2 years serving up spam and potatoes in Fort Bragg back in the 70's."

If that's what you really think about our military (both present and past), I fear the future of this country...

Last edited:
Note: unenforceable policies are unenforceable. ;-)

The airlines have enough trouble trying to keep the hordes from storming the jetway on landing. Anything beyond "closest too the door first" is doomed to failure.

If you want to establish any sort of priority, it would probably be best done by leveraging existing behavior. That is, priority disembarking would work best by using seat assignment, with higher priority passengers seated closest to the cabin door. Which might be why first class seats are closest, and in "classless" flights, why airlines can charge extra for those seats...

Just google;
boarding and deboading planes effectively

There are dozens of white papers, mathematical analysis, studies, abstracts, etc. on the subject. The problem has been solved. The industry just isn't interested in implementing the solution.

Oh, and regarding paying homage to our servicemen and women; show me the graves of LEO's, firemen, teachers and yes even janitors that match the count of those who died in the protection of our freedoms and I'll honor them just as I do those brave souls. God bless our troops!

Everyone who's ever served at one time wrote a check for up to and including their life to their country. Just because it wasn't cashed doesn't minimize the courage it took to sign.

Last edited:
I was actually talking about preference for active service members... But maybe that is too much for some.

I was actually talking about preference for active service members... But maybe that is too much for some.

Me too, but many places discount vets as well. Home Depot and Lowes for example. Home Depot requires seeing a DD214 for a 10% discount and Lowes takes your word for it.

jimnjana said:
Next they will be charging more for flying with an experience pilot...

Thanks. I just sent that idea to my favorite airline. They were so impressed with it they gave me two first class tickets.

Thanks. I just sent that idea to my favorite airline. They were so impressed with it they gave me two first class tickets.

Actually with drone technology, you soon may pay extra for any pilot. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom