Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-30-2012, 06:05 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
steelyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Triangle
Posts: 3,218
I flew last month, and am flying again (through Chicago O'Hare) this weekend and am definitely not looking forward to it. Nor is my wallet
__________________

__________________

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2012, 06:58 PM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
harley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Following the nice weather
Posts: 6,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat View Post
At the risk of getting off-topic, how many "perks" are enough? Why should they get preferential treatment boarding and disembarking planes? Don't they already get discounts on pretty much everything, not to mention multiple statutory holidays in their honour?

Also, they're not volunteers - they're paid. They didn't go overseas out of the goodness of their hearts. It's a job. A job with fantastic benefits (medical, pension, etc.)

But why limit it to soldiers? What about other people in virtuous professions? Maybe teachers and doctors should be allowed to board/unboard planes early, too? And police, firefighters, and paramedics?

How far do we take this? Do we extend it until the only people left waiting to board the planes are worthless janitors?

When everybody is a "hero," then nobody is a "hero."
Hey! I used to be a janitor (back in college). Without us all those service men and women would be getting infections from the toilet seats and tripping over the overflowing trash bins. I think janitors should be allowed to get on and off first. It's hard to be a hero with chewing gum stuck to your shoes.
__________________

__________________
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." - Will Rogers, or maybe Sam Clemens
DW and I - FIREd at 50 (7/06), living off assets
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:19 PM   #83
Full time employment: Posting here.
urn2bfree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat

At the risk of getting off-topic, how many "perks" are enough? Why should they get preferential treatment boarding and disembarking planes? Don't they already get discounts on pretty much everything, not to mention multiple statutory holidays in their honour?

Also, they're not volunteers - they're paid. They didn't go overseas out of the goodness of their hearts. It's a job. A job with fantastic benefits (medical, pension, etc.)

But why limit it to soldiers? What about other people in virtuous professions? Maybe teachers and doctors should be allowed to board/unboard planes early, too? And police, firefighters, and paramedics?

How far do we take this? Do we extend it until the only people left waiting to board the planes are worthless janitors?

When everybody is a "hero," then nobody is a "hero."
I cannot see the comparison. We do not pay them commensurate with the risks, and they do their job often for long periods of time away from home. Their lives are often cut short...I think if we can give them a little gift of less wasted time- they deserve it more than the other professions you named. I appreciate your honest disagreement. I do wonder if your thoughts are as fully informed on the life of our servicemen and women or if you might feel otherwise if you really knew well the details if the life of those in the service.
__________________
urn2bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:04 AM   #84
gone traveling
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 3,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by urn2bfree View Post
I cannot see the comparison. We do not pay them commensurate with the risks, and they do their job often for long periods of time away from home. Their lives are often cut short...I think if we can give them a little gift of less wasted time- they deserve it more than the other professions you named. I appreciate your honest disagreement. I do wonder if your thoughts are as fully informed on the life of our servicemen and women or if you might feel otherwise if you really knew well the details if the life of those in the service.
Agreed.

When is the time that most of us put our lives on the line for others, regardless if we're "asked", or not (I was not asked, as a Nam vet - but I'll let it go at that). I will also include those noble professons of police, firemen, medical personal, etc. in my recognition. They serve you, like it or not.

Those that serve humanity through their actions deserve a bit more recognition, even if it is a place "at the head of the line" that may cost you a few moments of your life.
__________________
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:25 AM   #85
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
Those that serve humanity through their actions deserve a bit more recognition, even if it is a place "at the head of the line" that may cost you a few minutes of your life.
#1: They aren't "serving," they're being paid. They're no more risking their lives than cops, firefighters, or coal miners.

#2: "A bit more recognition" is open-ended. We have 3 holidays in their name. They get preferential treatment and discounts on all manner of things already. They're paid very well, plus generous pensions enabling very early retirement, medical benefits, free housing, extremely generous educational perks ... when is enough, enough? That's all I'm saying.

They already get all of that (on top of their paycheques), now you want to give them white-glove treatment on airplanes? Where does it end? And all because they turned wrenches as a mechanic on an aircraft carrier in the Gulf (hundreds of miles away from any actual hostile threats) for a few months in the 90's? Or they drove some munitions from a depot to the airport (all on friendly soil) for a few months in the mid-2000's?

We have this idea that every "veteran" was a veritable John Rambo, risking life-and-limb on a daily basis, under constant threat, deep behind enemy lines. But of course it's not like that. A lot of (most?) "veterans" had boring, mundane jobs, and were never in any actual real danger. Throw the paycheque, free housing, early retirement, their own entire medical care system, discounts on everything from insurance to vehicles to restaurants, and free education into the mix, and I feel they're well rewarded for their sacrifices already. I just don't see the need to deify a high school dropout who spent 2 years serving up spam and potatoes in Fort Bragg back in the 70's.

Now, on the other hand, if I ever come across any of the members of SEAL Team 6, they can have my firstborn child.
__________________
kombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:37 AM   #86
Full time employment: Posting here.
EvrClrx311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat View Post
We have this idea that every "veteran" was a veritable John Rambo, risking life-and-limb on a daily basis, under constant threat, deep behind enemy lines. But of course it's not like that. A lot of (most?) "veterans" had boring, mundane jobs, and were never in any actual real danger. Throw the paycheque, free housing, early retirement, their own entire medical care system, discounts on everything from insurance to vehicles to restaurants, and free education into the mix, and I feel they're well rewarded for their sacrifices already.
I'm rather offended by this post...coming from a family with many who have served:

Twin brother deploying to Kuwait next week (Army Brigade Surgeon)
Father was a Test Pilot (Air Force)
Grandfather died in WWII (Army Infantry) <--- paid ultimate price for your freedom
(assuming you are American)

Regardless of the actual roles any service member played... they ALL deserve our utmost respect. You owe your very way of life to the sacrifices they, and their families, have made.
__________________
EvrClrx311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:41 AM   #87
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,074
kombat, I take it you spent no time in the Canadian military and therefore zero time in kcombat?
__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:45 AM   #88
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11,032
[mod hat on]

Everyone takes a deep breath. Let's get back on topic, please.

[mod hat off]
__________________
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:51 AM   #89
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 514
I apologize for the off-topic diversion. It seems we will have to agree to disagree. To anyone who has lost family or friends in military conflicts, my deepest sympathies and gratitude.
__________________
kombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:55 AM   #90
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Indialantic FL
Posts: 1,196
Next they will be charging more for flying with an experience pilot...
__________________
JimnJana
"The four most dangerous words in investing are 'This time it's different.'" - Sir John Templeton
jimnjana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:20 AM   #91
gone traveling
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 3,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat View Post
It seems we will have to agree to disagree.
Not really. I don't agree, and take extreme offense to your comments.

From your forum name, I suppose you got your "combat experience" on video games rather than live fire as I (and I wish upon no one) and many vets have done in the present, and the past. Well, good 4 U. We will certainly use your knowledge of combat tactics to help us out in the future.

"I just don't see the need to deify a high school dropout who spent 2 years serving up spam and potatoes in Fort Bragg back in the 70's."

If that's what you really think about our military (both present and past), I fear the future of this country...
__________________
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:55 AM   #92
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,929
Note: unenforceable policies are unenforceable. ;-)

The airlines have enough trouble trying to keep the hordes from storming the jetway on landing. Anything beyond "closest too the door first" is doomed to failure.

If you want to establish any sort of priority, it would probably be best done by leveraging existing behavior. That is, priority disembarking would work best by using seat assignment, with higher priority passengers seated closest to the cabin door. Which might be why first class seats are closest, and in "classless" flights, why airlines can charge extra for those seats...
__________________
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:00 PM   #93
gone traveling
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Placerville
Posts: 161
Just google;
boarding and deboading planes effectively

There are dozens of white papers, mathematical analysis, studies, abstracts, etc. on the subject. The problem has been solved. The industry just isn't interested in implementing the solution.


Oh, and regarding paying homage to our servicemen and women; show me the graves of LEO's, firemen, teachers and yes even janitors that match the count of those who died in the protection of our freedoms and I'll honor them just as I do those brave souls. God bless our troops!

Everyone who's ever served at one time wrote a check for up to and including their life to their country. Just because it wasn't cashed doesn't minimize the courage it took to sign.
__________________
skipro3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:17 PM   #94
Full time employment: Posting here.
urn2bfree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 711
I was actually talking about preference for active service members... But maybe that is too much for some.
__________________
urn2bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:24 PM   #95
gone traveling
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Placerville
Posts: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by urn2bfree View Post
I was actually talking about preference for active service members... But maybe that is too much for some.
Me too, but many places discount vets as well. Home Depot and Lowes for example. Home Depot requires seeing a DD214 for a 10% discount and Lowes takes your word for it.
__________________
skipro3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:28 PM   #96
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Chuckanut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West of the Mississippi
Posts: 6,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnjana
Next they will be charging more for flying with an experience pilot...
Thanks. I just sent that idea to my favorite airline. They were so impressed with it they gave me two first class tickets.
__________________
The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:23 AM   #97
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
travelover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Thanks. I just sent that idea to my favorite airline. They were so impressed with it they gave me two first class tickets.

Actually with drone technology, you soon may pay extra for any pilot.
__________________
Yes, I have achieved work / life balance.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:32 AM   #98
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Actually with drone technology, you soon may pay extra for any pilot.
A lot of the folks up in the pointy end of those aeroplanes think they are already drones - until something goes wrong, that is...
__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:17 PM   #99
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Do you do yoga regularly?
I cant even keep my legs straight and touch my toes.
__________________
YoungSaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:45 PM   #100
Moderator Emeritus
Bestwifeever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 16,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Do you do yoga regularly?
The airlines read your post and are now going to add a "yoga fee" to our airfare.
__________________

__________________
“Would you like an adventure now, or would you like to have your tea first?” J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:42 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.