Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-22-2019, 05:46 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The armrest thing? In my experience it can be shared.

The don't recline your seat is total BS. I recline my seat if I wish. If someone reclines it in front of me, I don't freak. Also, I would never ask someone behind me before reclining (though I do it slowly). Asking permission in effect is asking for conflict.

As far as American Airlines, it is my preferred, but then I am Advantage Gold (forever) so I get exit row for free and early boarding. I like that.

I do notice they have tons of categories of "preferred" and I see that could get annoying.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2019, 06:06 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

While we are likely on the lower rung of $$$ around here, we don't fly coach. If it comes down to coach or stay home, we stay home. As a (ex) road warrior (who occasionally lost status due to projects within driving distance), I lived far too many horror stories to voluntarily fly coach.

And a word to the queen (+) sized crowd here; if you happen to have a 2 ticket ass, kindly buy 2 tickets. When sitting in a window seat, I didn't enjoy being smashed into the fuselage. Really, I didn't. Seattle to Atlanta was memorable. In a Freddie Krueger kind of way. I've often looked at those (never used) gate check luggage racks with wanton lust. Set 'em for 18" and position them at the the jet bridge. Can't wiggle through? Pay to carry on that "baggage."
Old 10-22-2019, 07:03 PM   #23

Wow. I have flown a lot and to me the middle arm rests are to be carefully shared. I would insist on having the armrest down between seats. And everyone needs to stay in their space. I totally agree with not reclining the seat.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:17 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
While we are likely on the lower rung of $$$ around here, we don't fly coach. If it comes down to coach or stay home, we stay home. As a (ex) road warrior (who occasionally lost status due to projects within driving distance), I lived far too many horror stories to voluntarily fly coach.
(
+1
Four million miler here. We just flew back from Europe last Thursday. Took a walk out back and it sure was pretty tight, however Premium Economy looked pretty nice and fairly close to what a Business section might look like nowadays.

(As an aside and off topic, we took Virgin's day time flight out of Boston to London instead of the typical red-eye that all the carriers have. Made all the difference in jet lag for us)
Old 10-22-2019, 07:50 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

The middle seat gets 2 arm rests. One flight a skinny girl was in the window seat and I in the aisle. A tall big guy was in the middle. Not fat at all. So he isn’t using the armrests but hunching himself forward and I told him you cannot ride 4 hours like that. He said it’s okay and skinny girl said that’s ridiculous. We can all share. Eventually he takes his space I fall asleep and wake up with my leg touching his and my 5lb dog had crawled on his lap) I started to apologize and he said leave the dog. Some of the nicest people I have met traveling.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 08:15 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
my shoulders encroach into the middle seat so i'm over the armrest

i tell people they are welcome to try but they usually give up
I was on a miserable flight from San Jose to Philly one time sandwiched between two guys that sound like your size... They didn't raise the arm-rests - but their shoulders were both encroaching into my middle seat... The guys were 50ish, heavy seat, and shoulders of former football players. And both hogged the armrests. I spent the entire flight leaning forward leaning on my elbows. It was awful.

I did try to scoot back so my back could touch the seat - but these guys were big and immovable. 6 hours of misery.

No more middle seats if I don't know a person on one side or the other (hubby, or one of my kids.) And I totally cede the armrest to the person in the middle... I have one on the aisle or window.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:26 PM   #27
Gone but not forgotten

I am not happy with loose animals who aren't real service animals on my flight .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 08:50 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Cassie was a experienced traveler who always flew in her bag under the seat. However, we could hear her having trouble breathing so I took her out. My wonderful fellow passengers agreed. She was old and died a day later. So grateful to not be sitting by Moemg.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 09:27 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
my shoulders encroach into the middle seat so i'm over the armrest

i tell people they are welcome to try but they usually give up
So are you proud of this incredibly selfish behavior? Or??
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 10:39 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

We are fairly frequent leisure trip travellers.

I like the aisle. DW likes the window. We only sit together if the seats are two by two or if no one is sitting in the middle seat. After 45 plus years of marriage it hardly matters if we are not sitting beside each other for a few hours.

Today will be seven and four hours. Same row, but not beside each other on either flight.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 10:53 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I was on a miserable flight from San Jose to Philly one time sandwiched between two guys that sound like your size... They didn't raise the arm-rests - but their shoulders were both encroaching into my middle seat... The guys were 50ish, heavy seat, and shoulders of former football players. And both hogged the armrests. I spent the entire flight leaning forward leaning on my elbows. It was awful.
Chicago to Portland. I'm middle seat. Get on and it's great! A couple that had window & aisle. They are medium size. I think this is going to be great! Then she (aisle) gets bumped to First Class. I didn't realize the implications until the last guy on comes down the aisle. You know what they call Chicago? The City of Broad Shoulders. This was a big fella. Whips off his shoes, wolfs down a hoagie, a big greek salad and a snack. We had not even taxied out yet!

I was hunched forward the whole flight
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 11:07 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

God willing, ms gamboolgal and I will retire at the end of this year from being permanent residents in Nigeria.

Airline travel has devolved about as bad as it can get from our perspective. To Hell with it. I could write pages.....shaking my head....

i cannot wait until I can devote myself full-time to chasing ms. gamboolgal around our old 4 poster buck neckid full-time back in Texas come New Years !

Lifes A Dance And You Learn As You Go....
gamboolman....
gamboolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:58 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
So are you proud of this incredibly selfish behavior? Or??
not my fault I'm big - the seats are too small
Old 10-23-2019, 08:00 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post

I did try to scoot back so my back could touch the seat - but these guys were big and immovable. 6 hours of misery.

No more middle seats if I don't know a person on one side or the other (hubby, or one of my kids.) And I totally cede the armrest to the person in the middle... I have one on the aisle or window.
that's me - I try to make myself as small as possible but those seats are really small - I'm just big and have been a big guy my whole life. I guess I should quit lifting weights.....
Old 10-23-2019, 08:12 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Not your fault for being big but definitely your fault for deciding to steal from someone else instead of paying up for the space you need. Buy a seat up front or two in back. Thou shall not steal.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:13 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

To avoid many of these issues, DH and I travel first class as much as possible. If not, then we book aisle seats in the same row.
We would rather fly a bit less and go FC, or drive if we can.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:20 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
Not your fault for being big but definitely your fault for deciding to steal from someone else instead of paying up for the space you need. Buy a seat up front or two in back. Thou shall not steal.
I'm not stealing - who in their right mind pays for a middle seat? people need to plan better

being 6' 2" 260 shouldn't be a death sentence on a commercial flight
Old 10-23-2019, 08:25 AM   #38
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
. Eventually he takes his space I fall asleep and wake up with my leg touching his and my 5lb dog had crawled on his lap) I started to apologize and he said leave the dog. .

In your next post you mentioned being concerned about the dog's breathing but in this post you feel asleep . I am not the only person who is not happy with loose dogs or cats on flights .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:26 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
. I am not the only person who is not happy with loose dogs or cats on flights .
what about peacocks? there are emotional support peacocks on flights
Old 10-23-2019, 09:05 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Notice how the airlines have dodged their responsibilities and instead pitted their customers against each other? Whether it's seat width or overhead space or whatever, they are masters of it.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote