Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Airstream - This may be a bad idea but they are so cool
Old 07-27-2016, 08:31 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Airstream - This may be a bad idea but they are so cool

I sold my firm June 30 and am working 3 days per week until December 31 when I retire full time. I am 56 and my wife is 53. Kids are a senior and sophomore in college. Have never had more than 5 business days in a row off and the idea of driving cross country (we live on the east coast) in an Airstream (perhaps the 20 foot single axel) interests both my wife and I, but I question whether we will really use it. I realize that that this question can only be answered by ourselves.

Like everyone else we have the post card idea in mind when we pull up to a site by a lake or river and camp in seclusion while we fly fish listening to the birds in 74 degree sunshine. However, I suspect the reality is that in most instances we will go to an RV Park and have a site next to 100 other campers. I assume that if we stay in a secluded area with no hook-up the generator/batteries will only last so long. It almost seems like a dog where the kids walk it for the first two weeks and then not so much.

Have looked to rent an Airstream but the rental price is outrageous for a 3 week trip. The cost to purchase is not an issue for us, but I am afraid it will be like a new toy that one plays with for a few months. I am also somewhat concerned about all the sewage type issues. We are also newbies to camping (except for a 1-2 days per year in a tent along the Delaware River when my kids were young). Frankly, I fully realize we haven't the faintest idea what we are doing.

Perhaps the thing to do is to rent one (there also very few places to rent an Airstream) for 5 days and see what we think regardless of the high rental fee. Maybe the comments from experienced campers will bring me back to reality and we can toss this dream aside.
phil1ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2016, 08:40 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

just buy one and then if you don't like it sell it

probably cheaper than renting

I used to love camping as a kid. Of course we couldn't afford an airstream so we had a cheap coleman manual pop up.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:43 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Everything you wanted to know about owning an using an Airstream: http://www.airforums.com/

You are correct - you definitely need to rent an Airstream (or perhaps some other brand travel trailer) and give it a test run before you consider buying. Both you AND your spouse need to find out if the reality of traveling and camping in an RV is something you actually enjoy doing rather than just dreaming about.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:45 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I suggest you rent a trailer and try it out.
Frankly, when you buy you might want an airstream, but to rent any trailer will do and having rented and used one, will give you a much better idea of what you like and don't like for features when you go to buy.
Perhaps after you try it out, you will decide you don't like camping at all and don't want one.
You do have a towing vehicle available ?
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:48 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

You should rent first, even if it is not an Airstream. We thought camping sounds great, used to tent camp so.....

Yeah, ever been in a tornado warning in a camper? Not so much fun for us. DW thinks a 30 minute shower is a sacrifice. Then there's your neighbors, ours were awesome as many are.

Bottom line we enjoyed the 4 days so much. We thought that's enough for a lifetime!
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:55 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

This place on Pend Oreille in Idaho had no neighbors and was free (no hookups though). Downside was you had to walk 10 feet to fly fish and I would have rather been able to fish from under the awning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Idaho.jpg (556.2 KB, 48 views)
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:55 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Airstreams are very nice, but you might also consider something with slideouts. I think they would increase the comfort factor quite a bit. I live in an old motor home without slideouts and am comfortable enough while I build my house, but that is not the same as traveling in one. There should be some folks along with better travel experience soon.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:42 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Our neighbor just doubled-down on an Airstream. But it seems without slideouts to be a bit confining. So like Hermit suggested, look around. Visit a Camping World or similar place, look at the Airstreams, rent and then if you enjoy it, take the leap.

We have a 38' Travel Trailer with 3-slideouts. Quite roomy. Sometime after all kids are out of the house, will probably upgrade to a Fifth Wheel.

cd :O)
Chris7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:53 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Renting is the logical thing to do. However, a 7-day rental is about $7,000 (from Airstream 2go) which is why I pause. I can buy a 20 footer for about $55,000.00 (after negotiation) and if we don't like it, sell it (with the hassle involved) for about $45-48,000.00 which is the same $7,000.00. So buying provides something akin to an option whereas renting is dead money. We have an F-150 so we do not need to buy a tow vehicle. We want to rent an Airstream so we are comparing apples to apples. Too bad you can't rent and credit the rental amount to a purchase. Since Airstream 2go was founded by a prior president of Airstream, perhaps he should consider that idea. But it would probably interfere with the current dealer network.

Thanks for your thoughts.
phil1ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:02 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

You can rent any trailer to get an idea if you like the lifestyle, towing, backing up, dealing with the sewerage, etc. It doesn't need to be an Airstream.

And I second that you can always buy an older one, and sell it if you decide later you aren't using it. We bought an Airstream Argosy (the motorhome they made back in the 70s) in 2003, loved it, used it, and generally had some fantastic times in it. But, times changed, we wanted a boat, yada yada, and so we sold it last year. It cost us around $9000 and we sold it for $7000. Benefits of the older models, where all the depreciation is done.

Just for God's sakes don't buy a brand new one!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:05 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

The more important issue than an Airstream is whether you like camping or not. You can get a read on that by renting a travel trailer about the same size as the Airstream that you would like for a few weeks. If you find you like camping, then you'll enjoy it more in an Airstream.

Also, during that 3 week trial you can walk around and see what other campers use... campers are very friendly in my experience and are happy to share their experiences and talk about their campers and give you a tour.

If you do buy... look at used first... campers are like boats... people buy new with grand plans and find they don't use and sell at a significant discount from new... I'm not sure how true that is for Airstreams but it is definitely true for other brands. Around here you can get a very nice lightly used RV for half of what you are thinking of spending on an Airstream... but they are very nice.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:14 AM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil1ben View Post
I can buy a 20 footer for about $55,000.00 (after negotiation) and if we don't like it, sell it (with the hassle involved) for about $45-48,000.00 which is the same $7,000.00.
As a grizzled old RVer, I think you are being optimistic on the $7K figure.

Did you include the taxes and registration fees in your purchase price? Did you include the cost of an anti-sway hitch? Did you account for all the incidentals your DW will need once you start camping?

I second (third?) the recommendation you buy used rather that new. If you do decide it isn't your cup of tea and want to sell, you'll take far less of a haircut on the round trip.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:36 AM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
And I second that you can always buy an older one [snip] Benefits of the older models, where all the depreciation is done.

Just for God's sakes don't buy a brand new one!
+1
FIREmenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:38 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Stop! Before you do anything, read all eight parts of this:

Opinion: The RV industry death spiral – Part 1 | RV Daily Report
T-Minus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:38 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

yes get a used one - they have a bunch for sale here - almost everyone here has a camper - check out the photo on LPO above
Old 07-27-2016, 11:03 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Because of the curvature, storage space in the overhead bins is, (or used to be), limited on an Airstream.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:42 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Minus View Post

I read that part 1, but it didn't have links to the other parts (or I missed it).
By looking here you can find all the parts:

Exclusive and Breaking News | RV Daily Report
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:12 PM   #18
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Minus View Post

I'm pretty sure I read the same articles or very similar in 2008 or 2009. I guess it sells clicks? RVs are very popular out here in the West. The only thing out here where people bring their campers/trailers that are more popular/hotter are the ATVs especially the side-by-side models. I think they are some kind of requirement to go along with an RV. You could put one in the back of the pickup!
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:32 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Not to burst any bubbles, but check specs carefully before buying. IMO, a 1/2-ton pickup won't safely pull many larger/heavier campers.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:38 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Not to burst any bubbles, but check specs carefully before buying. IMO, a 1/2-ton pickup won't safely pull many larger/heavier campers.
+1
You might pull it for a while till...........

Seriously check out the loaded capacity of the pickup it may surprise you. Then check out the Airstream with water, propane, groceries and all your stuff.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote