Join Early Retirement Today

Alaska Cruise
Old 05-31-2009, 01:55 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Alaska Cruise

I would like to go on a cruise at the end of July to help my GF celebrate her 50th birthday.
I am presently considering taking a cruise ship from Alaska to Vancouver, BC. I would appreciate any advice and/or observations anyone could share.
Chester_A._Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2009, 01:58 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester_A._Riley View Post
I would like to go on a cruise at the end of July...
Isn't that the beginning of peak hurricane season?
Old 05-31-2009, 02:06 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We went Princess. We have done several cruises, and chose an inside cabin for this one. It was one of the few cruises I wish we would have chosen a balcony. Aslo cruising north get a cabin on the right side of the ship. The coast line, and most of the view, is out the right going up, and left coming back. As most only cruise one way, pick your best view. Now even though we had an inside cabin, it did not stop us from the v iews. There is always somewhere on the ship to sit and watch the scenery go by.

Take a heavy coat, and a rain slicker jacket, even in July. You may not need it, but if you do, you really do! If I could do only one cruise, it would be Alaska.

I would also fly to Alaska, do Denali National Park, and cruise back. Why, you ask? It's hurricane season! There are very few flights out of Anchorage. We went south to north, and Allison hit Houston while we were gone. Our flight was canceled out of Alaska, due to the fact the Continental could not get planes out of Houston. It took us 48 hours to get home!
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 02:11 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've never been on one, but a friend of mine went on an Alaskan cruise. He said if I ever decided to go on one, I must get a room with a balcony. You can have your meals served to you out there; enjoy privacy and have a glorious view.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:13 PM   #5
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Don't know. I'm not all that familiar with fishing in Alaska. What weight line should I use for a 'hurricane?'
Chester_A._Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 02:22 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester_A._Riley View Post
I would like to go on a cruise at the end of July to help my GF celebrate her 50th birthday.
I am presently considering taking a cruise ship from Alaska to Vancouver, BC. I would appreciate any advice and/or observations anyone could share.
DW and I took a cruise a couple of years ago Seward-Vancouver on Holland-American lines. It was the best! Also took a week land tour of Alaska the week prior. The best (part 2)!

BTW I understand that this year is the lowest cruise costs in years and next year there will be fewer ships sailing, thus higher prices.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 02:26 PM   #7

Just in case you're cruising from/to Anchorage.........I've been told by some veteran cruisers that they got the (sea)sickest they've ever been on an
AK cruise. The sheltered Inside Passage may be nice and calm but apparently the open ocean from there to Anchorage may not always be so pleasant so be prepared just in case.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 02:48 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
Just in case you're cruising from/to Anchorage.........I've been told by some veteran cruisers that they got the (sea)sickest they've ever been on an
AK cruise. The sheltered Inside Passage may be nice and calm but apparently the open ocean from there to Anchorage may not always be so pleasant so be prepared just in case.
I've done three Alaska cruises and we were lucky when we left the shelter of the Inside Passage for Whittier on the one time we did that, but we did have one cruise where the unprotected waters of the Pacific between Vancouver Island and the Inside Passage were rather rough. Fortunately that only lasted a few hours.

If you think this may be a once in a lifetime chance to go to Alaska, then I'd pad it a few days and spend some time on land. Definitely spend some time in Denali, and a couple of days in Anchorage aren't bad, either. The drive from Anchorage to Seward on the Seward Highway is about 120 miles and is a breathtaking drive. The first 50 miles or so have you right up against the hillside on one side of the road and the mudflats leading into Turnagain Arm on the other side. The remainder is mostly inland and has some terrific vistas almost all the way into Seward.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 03:48 PM   #9

The CruiseCritics board is an excellent community for all things related to cruising, similar to this board for early retirement.

Cruise Critic Message Boards
Old 05-31-2009, 04:10 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Did Norwegian to Glacier Bay, great trip to have a balcony on.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:18 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
We went Princess. We have done several cruises, and chose an inside cabin for this one. It was one of the few cruises I wish we would have chosen a balcony. Aslo cruising north get a cabin on the right side of the ship. ...

Take a heavy coat, and a rain slicker jacket, even in July. You may not need it, but if you do, you really do! If I could do only one cruise, it would be Alaska.
Thank you Rustic. We are sailing on Princess out of Vancouver on June 21. Prices were way down this year so we got a balcony cabin on the right side. We will take the rain coats/pants.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:41 PM   #12

Pants most likely are not necessary, but hey if they don't take up much room, why not. We went in June. I told DW we needed to take heavy coats. She was opposed. I finally said, 'Just put them in a separate suitcase, If we don't need them we won't even unpack them.' I was in trouble until day three. It took that long to get far enough north. You could not go out on the deck without them!
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Flights?
Old 06-01-2009, 07:14 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Flights?

We are looking at Alaskan cruises as well. How do others handle flights? Do they buy round-trip tickets to/from Vancouver, and one way from Anchorage back to Vancouver? All the tickets add up to about $1,000 a person. Is there a better way to do it? One-way to Vancouver and one-way from Anchorage? One-way car rental from anchorage to Vancouver?
GoodSense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 01:22 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

We're doing our second Alaska cruise in about 2 weeks from Seward to Vancouver on Holland America. Our airline tickets are as follows:
From CA to ANC
Return Portland to CA.

Alaska Airlines has good deals from CA. Our friends are going to rent a van in Portland and drive up to Vancouver and meet us there, we'll go around the Pacific Northwest for a week before flying home from PDX. BTW, Car rentals are expensive in Alaska! I think we are paying about $70/day for 2 days in ANC.

We are going to hang out in ANC for a couple of days. Not doing Denali this time because my parents are coming along and Mom just had knee surgery. If I could, I would not miss Denali. Go on some ranger led hikes there, simply breathtaking, especially when you run into grizzlies!

We also spent some time in the Kenai pensisula last time and it was VERY nice! Staying in log cabins and sampling the local salmon (best I've ever had).
WanderALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 01:50 PM   #15

I am doing my first Alaska cruise (Holland America Veendam) from Vancouver to Seward starting in 11 days.

The LAX to Vancouver flight is only $133. After taking a Seward-Homer bus and spending 2 days in Homer, 11 days of ferrying around, and watching the July 4th fireworks with friends in Ketchikan, the return flight is $326 from Ketchikan to Long Beach,CA.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:19 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

The inside passage is our favorite cruise.I'd recommend an outside cabin with a balcony and a good pair of binoculars.Also do the Denali side trip-it was spectacular.Enjoy.
wolfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:40 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

We did the NCL Pearl out of Seattle last July. We loved the ship and leaving from Seattle. We had a balcony and it was well worth the extra money. Be sure to take a jacket and rain coat. July is the best time of year, but last year was unusually cool and damp during the entire summer. Being a Texan I don't do cool weather well, so it will be a long time before I choose to repeat the trip, but I am glad we did it!
Cruisinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:59 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisinthru View Post
Being a Texan I don't do cool weather well, so it will be a long time before I choose to repeat the trip, but I am glad we did it!
Being a Texan, I cherish every minute I spend in cooler climates during the summer.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:08 PM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Being a Texan, I cherish every minute I spend in cooler climates during the summer.
My weight always spikes in the summer due to spending too much time in front of an open refrigerator door...
Old 06-05-2009, 02:28 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Yup . . .

Hurricane recipe
1 oz vodka
1/4 oz grenadine syrup
1 oz gin
1 oz light rum
1/2 oz Bacardi® 151 rum
1 oz amaretto almond liqueur
1 oz triple sec
grapefruit juice
pineapple juice

Pour all but the juices, in order listed, into a hurricane glass three-quarters filled with ice. Fill with equal parts of grapefruit and pineapple juice, and serve.
Gone4Good is offline   Reply With Quote