Join Early Retirement Today

All Inclusive with Kids Activities?
Old 08-08-2009, 05:55 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

All Inclusive with Kids Activities?

I cringe at traveling this way and the enormous expense that goes with it, but DW and I desparately need a vacation that includes chunks of time away from the kids. It ain't coming from the relatives (we get little or no help), so the only thing I can come up with is something like Beaches resorts or the Club Meds that have all day kids activities. I was looking for other possibilities and stubled across Dreams Cancun Resorts & Spas: Unlimited Luxury Defined which looks pretty nice. Anyone know of other possibilities? Cruises are out for seasickness reasons.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2009, 06:54 AM   #2
Gone but not forgotten

I have been to several Club Meds , Jack Tarr Villages and even a Club in Connecticut called Club Getaway when my children were younger . It did give us a needed break and the kids loved it . You sound like you really need a child free break so maybe ask all the parents outright and if that doesn't work ask your friends . They might be willing to watch your children in exchange for you watching their children . This might work even if you shorten the vacation .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 06:58 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I have been to several Club Meds , Jack Tarr Villages and even a Club in Connecticut called Club Getaway when my children were younger . It did give us a needed break and the kids loved it . You sound like you really need a child free break so maybe ask all the parents outright and if that doesn't work ask your friends . They might be willing to watch your children in exchange for you watching their children . This might work even if you shorten the vacation .
Been there, done that. Unfortunately, not gonna happen, which is a major source of friction. So I am looking at next best with the resorts.

- George Orwell

Old 08-08-2009, 07:22 AM   #4
Gone but not forgotten

Sorry to hear that the parents are not helping ! If you want to save some money look to the Dominican Republic . Their resorts are usually cheaper and just as nice .
Old 08-08-2009, 07:40 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, the real question is whether these soprts of places exist outside of Club Med and Beaches. Mexico is currently inexpensive as well.

- George Orwell

Old 08-08-2009, 08:45 AM   #6
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Sorry to hear that the parents are not helping !
Hey - always been that way in our family. Parents (relatives) are folks you have to see - not those you want to see....
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 08:52 AM   #7

I can't believe I am responding b/c I have no children, so who would think I have advice? LOL. Any ways, why not send the kids to a separate summer camp for a week while the two of you go on vacation? I'm sure I'm not thinking of some issue, being a non-parent here.

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 09:18 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
I can't believe I am responding b/c I have no children, so who would think I have advice? LOL. Any ways, why not send the kids to a separate summer camp for a week while the two of you go on vacation? I'm sure I'm not thinking of some issue, being a non-parent here.
In 3 to 5 years that is a possibility, but they are too young. We cannot wait that long.

- George Orwell

Old 08-08-2009, 09:53 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

How old are the kids?
Old 08-08-2009, 11:20 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I also have no children. Is there such a thing as a local nanny who can take care of them for a week? Then you could do a simple vacation at home, in your RV or nearby. Maybe take in some shows or at least get some kid-free rest.

Good luck, Brewer, I remember my parents giving us Cracker Jacks & games at the start of car trips, three of us fighting when we got tired.

The only time grandma took care of us, we were young teenagers and well behaved. And no one helped when mom had surgery, poor dad got called into my classroom because I was a mess; teacher said something like, "doesn't this child have a mother?" He blew up and told her off.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:41 AM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You might look at some of the major hotel chains that have resorts in their portfolio. We got out of town for a few days a couple of weeks ago and stayed at a Westin resort. My kids are way too old to participate, so I can't speak about the quality, but they had a full days worth of activities for younger kids. Plus there were family events in the evenings and a babysitting club so mom and dad could eat dinner or whatever.
Old 08-08-2009, 12:16 PM   #12
Gone but not forgotten

This place is run like club med . A rustic club med . I'm not sure if the accommodations have changed but they were pretty basic but the price was right for a getaway . We went when the children were younger a few times and they loved it and we had time to just chill out . It certainly is not on the level with Club Med but it is okay for a I need to getaway .

Club Getaway - Family - Connecticut Sport, Fitness & Adventure Weekend Resort, Berkshire Mountains
Old 08-08-2009, 12:45 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I don't mean to scare you, only to remind you that your current problems may be nothing compared to when they reach their teenage years. Also, have you been to the "college cost" threads, or are you playing ostrich?

By the way, I know a few childless couples in life, but it appears we have more here than in the general population. I suspect that most people who planned to ER conscienciously decided not to have children. We ourselves stumbled onto ER by accident.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 12:54 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
How old are the kids?
3 and 5.

- George Orwell

Old 08-08-2009, 12:55 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I don't mean to scare you, only to remind you that your current problems may be nothing compared to when they reach their teenage years. Also, have you been to the "college cost" threads, or are you playing ostrich?
Money is a lot easier to come by than time for us, so while college costs loom, I don't spend a lot of time sweating it.

- George Orwell

Old 08-08-2009, 01:29 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Not sure what level of luxury you are looking. I love (and have stayed at) Beaches Negril in Jamaica. I've also been to Beaches Turks and Caicos, but personally didn't like it as much as Negril. (Keep in mind that I enjoy Jamaica, especially the people. Some people absolute hate Jamaica.)

A couple more resorts in Jamaica you might want to investigate are FDR Pebbles and Franklyn D Resort. I have not been to either, but part of the deal is a nanny for your little ones for most of the day.

I prefer the Playa del Carmen area of Mexico to Cancun. The Iberostars in Playa and the Gala are nice moderate resorts good for families. Although I have never been to Dreams Cancun, I've heard good things about the Dreams resort chain. Don't know anything about their kid's club.

I know some people that like El Cozumeleno in Cozumel, also a moderate resort, in my opinion a half step below the ones in Playa. Also supposed to be great for families, and I was impressed with the look of their kid's club.

I think the Beaches resort are very good, but of course, they airn't cheap.

Hope some of this helps.
bhoferp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 02:13 PM   #17
Gone but not forgotten

Here is a good deal on Club Med . I've been to a few Club Med's and really enjoyed them plus their kids programs are great .

Club Med's $99 WOW sale deal at select family resorts
Old 08-08-2009, 02:24 PM   #18
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We went to a couple of Club Meds with our son when he was aged 6 and 8(Guadeloupe and Cancun). It worked out well. He had fun and enjoyed the planned kiddie activities. As I recall, I also saw very little of my husband at the Club Meds as he threw himself into all the sports while I read and paddled around the pool. Another arrangement that worked well for us back in the day was a cooperative babysitting arrangement I had with a girl I met in yoga class. She watched my son when we had week-end plans or a late night out and I watched her twin sons(3 weeks younger than my tot) when she and her husband wanted to get away for a night or a couple of days. We have all stayed great friends even though they now live in Connecticut.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 02:28 PM   #19
Confused about dryer sheets

Cozumel is no longer a buy, nor are the resorts new. Try a 4 star new resort down near Maroma Beach or Tulum. Most have free wind surfing, kayaking, and sailing. Beaches are great. We've found that resorts more than 3 or 4 years old have air conditioning problems and deteriorate because of climate. We like Secrets Maroma Beach, but it adults only.
Stevo38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 02:41 AM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have the opposite problem,our kids have grown up (15-20)and now dont want to accompany us on vacations, i kinda miss all the fun we used to have on family vacations.Vacations with just the wife and i lack the excitement,chaos and unpredictability of when the kids were along.