Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-03-2012, 02:03 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

One of the things that most people do not know is that even if you have an assigned seat, you might not get on the plane...

There was one time that I flew on the day before Thanksgiving... I did not have a seat assignment... while waiting for boarding, it was easy to see that the flight was WAY overbooked... one guy asked me if I had an assigned seat... I said 'no, but I will get on the plane'... he thought he was safe as he did have an assigned seat...

Forward 15 or so minutes and he is called to the counter and told he was being bumped... I got my seat (not his, but got one anyhow)... He asked me how I knew I was getting a seat and I said 'full fare ticket'... my ticket cost $950, his was about $300... they do not bump the people who buy full fare... (PS... it was paid for by my company, I would not have bought it myself)..

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2012, 02:31 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

If it was me, I'd take the best 2 "free" seats available. Call the airlines right after the 24 hour mark and try to change your seats when they release ones saved for frequent fliers. If you're still not able to get seats together, get to the airport early and try again. They release some seats (such as bulkhead seats) some time closer to the flight time. Used to be a travel agent and this is what I recommended to clients.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:31 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishnevada View Post
I love Southwest! They have some new charges for early check in, but beyond that you pay for a seat and you get a seat. You want to sit next to your spouse, check in early. A lot of people don't like the open seating, but I prefer it to the games the other airlines play, not to mention the money they charge.
I also like Southwest .It's $10 for early bird seating which allows you to pick the best seats plus no luggage fee.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:49 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I posted this over at flyertalk and one of the responses was basically "only those with platinum status deserve that kind of special treatment" which amazed me. I should have to fly 100,000 miles in 12 months just to get two coach seats together? Really? It shows how low the expectations for American Airlines have sunk.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:56 PM   #25

I'm at the point with flying. Get us to point A to B without killing us or making us wait too long. They are pretty good about not killing us and, not so bad without making us wait too long. Im sure my wife is fine without sitting next to me for 5 hrs.

haha..hey wait

But really they need to raise fares , but cant because people wont pay the fares. So they nickle and dime you which apparently studies have shown people accept that.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:32 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupcxan View Post
I posted this over at flyertalk and one of the responses was basically "only those with platinum status deserve that kind of special treatment" which amazed me. I should have to fly 100,000 miles in 12 months just to get two coach seats together? Really? It shows how low the expectations for American Airlines have sunk.
You can get two coach seats together, it just costs $50. There is a way to get two seats together without paying anything "extra"--just fly Business Class or First Class. The "extras" ("all these seats are the same price!) are already bundled into the fare for those tickets.

The airlines are scraping for every dime. Special requests, good meals, movies, free alcohol--all were included when the airlines were regulated, planes regularly flew half empty, fuel was cheap, and airfares were almost double what they are today. Something had to give. I'd rather pay 50% less for the ticket and get the primary thing I want (to reach my destination safely), with an option to pay more if I want a bigger seat, a seat by the aisle, even to check baggage, etc. I do draw the line at charging passengers to use the lavatory (a plan reportedly recently considered by Spirit Air).

Choice is good. American is giving you an opportunity to save 50 bucks, or you can choose not to.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:04 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

It's not just the two seats together issue. I booked on US Airways and ONLY center seats were made avaialble for selection for a east west coast flight. So to get my aisle seat i had to fork over another $25.

While our congress is making the airlines post fares with taxes included - i say make them post fares with the highest fee for class of service so this nonsense goes away. That way after you compte for a carrier selection - the onlys surprise is its $25 less for sitting in the center seat.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:32 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post

The airlines are scraping for every dime. Special requests, good meals, movies, free alcohol--all were included when the airlines were regulated, planes regularly flew half empty, fuel was cheap, and airfares were almost double what they are today. Something had to give....
Those dimes are adding up--they seem to still be pretty profitable: Fortune 500 2012: Industry: Airlines
Old 08-04-2012, 09:38 AM   #29

We still think of flying as a high service level form of transport. It is really evolved into bus travel with wings, with a little extra attention and space set aside for business and people willing to pay.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:30 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB
We still think of flying as a high service level form of transport. It is really evolved into bus travel with wings, with a little extra attention and space set aside for business and people willing to pay.
Very true. That's why it's called an AirBUS.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:13 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Those dimes are adding up--they seem to still be pretty profitable: Fortune 500 2012: Industry: Airlines
I dunno. American Airlines (subject of the OP) lost almost $2 billion. That explains the $25 charge for certain seats. None of the airlines shown made more than 2.3% profit as a % or revenues. That's not very profitable, and when we look at other metrics the industry is even worse off.
As they say--the best way to make a million in the airline business is to start with two million.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:21 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nphx View Post
While our congress is making the airlines post fares with taxes included - i say make them post fares with the highest fee for class of service so this nonsense goes away.
Yeah, and we could make 'em include the price for two checked bags, a scotch, and two hours of Wi-Fi.

Maybe Travelocity or one of the other web sites will include options for these items in their search and pricing criteria so you could see it that way. There's fairly stiff competition between these sites, this would be a value-added service that would bring users. It would also allow our Congress to maybe concern itself with more important matters, and stuff actually within its specified responsibilities.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:33 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Maybe it would help if you just thought of the situation in the reverse. Say you'd gone to the site and the tickets were $825 and you could get seats together. But, they also offered you a discount of $25 on one seat if you'd sit apart. Would that seem like a more palatable way of presenting the choice? It's the same thing.
This looks like the psychological heuristic of "anchoring". My spouse and I have this discussion all the time, usually after I've spent 30 minutes on the airline's website beating the itinerary & pricing out of its "user-friendly" system:
Her: "Oh, that's too much."
Me: "OK, WTF is the airfare supposed to cost?"
Her: "Airfare Watchdog says it's supposed to be $100 less."
Me: "But I don't want to take a Saturday redeye and change planes twice."
Her: "Well, if you want to fly direct then you have to pay more."
Me: "Sure, sounds good!"
Her: "But you shouldn't have to pay $100 more."
Me: "OK, how much more am I supposed to pay?"
Her: "I think you should take a look at the other airlines' websites and see if you can do better."
You married veterans can write the rest of the script from here.

Soup, would you be happier if the price didn't break out all the junk fees and if they gave you "free" food/alcohol? Well, I guess with the latter at least you wouldn't care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Sounds like they are moving towards a no-frills airline like we have in Yorkshire.
If I see any of the Four Yorkshiremen in the cockpit, I'm outta there...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 02:39 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
If I see any of the Four Yorkshiremen in the cockpit, I'm outta there...
Have you seen their price list for parachutes?
Old 08-04-2012, 03:13 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Friends recently flew to another city and paid for two nights' accommodation there just so they could save $100 on a transatlantic fare. I guess it's all about choice. Me, I would prefer to have the choice of a low fare and pay for extras only if they added value. As a single traveller, I don't believe there is a God given right for families to be seated as a group, unless children are present.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:43 PM   #36

Usually I sort by duration. Sitting in an airport or plane isn't my idea of entertainment.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:19 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I just booked on American. Got seats assigned together near the back of the plane, but I didn't like them and went on aa.com and changed them to the two together with no center seat on the left side of the aisle. Paid extra on a couple of the flights to get the seats I preferred. I decided that it was not a problem - the base ticket price was quite low. We'll probably check one bag and fork over another $25 each way for that.

When I look at what I used to pay for tickets 8-10 years ago, it doesn't seem like airfaire has gone up much at all, so I guess I'll fork over a few nickels and dimes here and there when I see a benefit.

I guess it's the new way of things.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:36 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I don't believe there is a God given right for families to be seated as a group, unless children are present.
I flew Allegient Air to Bellingham a while back. 2 adults 2 kids. They charged for seat selection. Any seat selection. If you didn't pay - they randomly assigned you. And they did not make any effort to keep small children with parents.

I paid for the seat assignment - because I didn't want to impose my bratty well behaved children on others. I was grumpy about paying extra.

But it was amusing to see the negotiation among passengers. A man in front of us GLADLY swapped seats to let a mom sit next to her 3 year old. Her seat was 5 rows back. Flight attendants were disinterested in facilitating this.... seemed annoyed that passengers did not want to sit next to OPCh (other people's children).

This airline also charged for water. I learned - and brought an empty bottle through security on our return trip - then filled it at the drinking fountain before boarding the plane.

And for carry-on luggage... unless your luggage was the size of a purse or laptop bag. $10 for a carry on bag if pre-booked. $35 if you don't pre-pay it.

Checked bag fees vary from $14.99 to $50/bag.

It definitely set the bar high for the most charges.

Fees For Our Services | Travel Is Our Deal™ | Airfare & Hotel Packages from Allegiant
Old 08-06-2012, 08:37 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Wow, rodi - could that be where we're heading?
Old 08-06-2012, 08:47 PM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.

After looking at this thread, my favorite low-cost airline, Spirit, sounds better and better.

They do things differently. For example:
1. It is cheaper to book at the airport than online.
2. They charge less if you checkin your bags than when you carry them with you.
3. You lose your point for 3 months of no activity.

Edit: I never pay to get a pre-assigned seating and DW and I always ended up seated next to each other.