Americas Top 10 Wacky Roadside Attractions

REWahoo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give
TripAdvisor published this list of the top ten wackiest attractions in America based on TripAdvisor travelers and editors.

TRIPADVISOR MARVELS AT AMERICA’S WACKIEST ATTRACTIONS

1. Potty Time: Toilet Seat Museum, Alamo Heights, Texas
2. Un-henged: Carhenge, Alliance, Nebraska
3. Pit Stop: Cadillac Ranch, Amarillo, Texas
4. In-dispensable: Burlingame Museum of Pez Memorabilia
5. Alligator Attraction: Gatorland, Orlando, Florida
6. We’ll Always Have Paris Texas: The Paris Texas Eiffel Tower, Paris, Texas
7. A Rockin’ Time: House on the Rock, Spring Green, Wisconsin
8. Two for the Price of One: Stonehenge II, Kerrville, Texas
9. We Come in Peace: Extraterrestrial Highway, Rachel, Nevada
10. Having a Ball: Minnesota Twine Ball, Darwin, Minnesota

I've seen only two (#1 and #3) and might score #6 later this month. Anyone bagged all 10 on your bucket list?

For those of us that have a GPS device, here is one of my most used POIs:

Offbeat Tourist Attractions

You would be amazed at how many interesting places there are everywhere. Quite often we just let this File determine our route by watching the GPS (we have two going all the time) picking out the attractions that catch our eye as we are driving down the road. The serendiptynous of this has been very rewarding.

........Anyone bagged all 10 on your bucket list?

Only been to two of 'em....and maybe if I behave, I won't have to go to the others!!!

As for the Cadillac Ranch...all I can say is that the price of admission was almost worth every cent of it! Oh, yeah....it was FREE!!! The only reason we went there, was because we were driving past it anyway.

And House on the Rock.....there was a lot to see and peruse...some interesting, some not so much. Would I go again? Umm......nah, once was plenty!

I'd much rather go to a beach, forest preserve, Nat'l Park, botanic garden, or something similar.....attractions of nature. If I want to see wierd or eccentric collections of "stuff", all I have to do is look in my garage! :rolleyes:

TripAdvisor published this list of the top ten wackiest attractions in America based on TripAdvisor travelers and editors.

TRIPADVISOR MARVELS AT AMERICA’S WACKIEST ATTRACTIONS

1. Potty Time: Toilet Seat Museum, Alamo Heights, Texas
2. Un-henged: Carhenge, Alliance, Nebraska
4. In-dispensable: Burlingame Museum of Pez Memorabilia
5. Alligator Attraction: Gatorland, Orlando, Florida
6. We’ll Always Have Paris Texas: The Paris Texas Eiffel Tower, Paris, Texas
8. Two for the Price of One: Stonehenge II, Kerrville, Texas
9. We Come in Peace: Extraterrestrial Highway, Rachel, Nevada
10. Having a Ball: Minnesota Twine Ball, Darwin, Minnesota

I've seen only two (#1 and #3) and might score #6 later this month. Anyone bagged all 10 on your bucket list?

#10 They have bigger balls in Cawker City, KS, I believe...:whistle::LOL:

The House on the Rock is stellar, everyone should experience it. There is a place called the "infinity Room", which is a room built out away from the house. The ground is about 200 feet below, and windows are everywhere. You feel like you are standing on air in the middle of a forest............:)

I agree with FD's recommendation to see the house of the rock. The house on the rock is interesting enough, but the collection and collection the guy who built the house did passes into bizzaro land.

My absolute favorite oddball attraction is the Glore Psychiatric Museum in UncleMick's town, St. Joseph Missouri. http://www.stjosephmuseum.org/glore.htm See the exhibit of the stomach contents taken from a woman with pica. :)
Glore_Stomach_Display.jpg

I also enjoy oddball religious grottoes that seem to be scattered throughout the US.

I've never been to any of these attractions. I had friends visit from Houston last month and we went to a resort in Bedford, PA for the day. The husband had read in a tourist book about a place called Gravity Hill nearby where "things roll uphill"...an optical illusion. He wanted to go, so we found this little country lane with great difficulty and had fun with seeming to roll uphill with the car in neutral, pouring water and watching it run "up". Only some cows were around to observe our "experiments".

I've never been to any of these attractions. I had friends visit from Houston last month and we went to a resort in Bedford, PA for the day. The husband had read in a tourist book about a place called Gravity Hill nearby where "things roll uphill"...an optical illusion. He wanted to go, so we found this little country lane with great difficulty and had fun with seeming to roll uphill with the car in neutral, pouring water and watching it run "up". Only some cows were around to observe our "experiments".
These kind of stories are great. :D
Same "uphill" rumor about a place called Spook Rock Road in Suffern NY (just north of NYC). I tried it out when I first started driving. I went there at night, all by myself. I put my Mom's Mustang in neutral...and...and...
the results will go to the grave with me. :whistle:
There also seems to be some historical background to the presence of ghosts.
From VOICES: Good Spirits by Libby Tucker

These kind of stories are great. :D
Same "uphill" rumor about a place called Spook Rock Road in Suffern NY (just north of NYC). I tried it out when I first started driving. I went there at night, all by myself. I put my Mom's Mustang in neutral...and...and...
the results will go to the grave with me. :whistle:
There also seems to be some historical background to the presence of ghosts.
From VOICES: Good Spirits by Libby Tucker

There was a place outside of Tampa when I was growing up that had a hill like that too. I'll bet that there are hundreds of places like that all over the USA.

I badgered my parents nonstop to let us go see "THE THING" whenever we drove by it in Arizona on I-10, but we never got to stop. Looks like maybe Dad was right about this one. The Thing.

Rock City. I went a few years ago and was not sorry I went. Not highbrow entertainment. Hey, we had to "See Rock City"

South of the Border ("Pedros"). If you've been on I-95, you know about the pun-ishing billboards. No reports or advice except don't buy chewing gum from that machine in the men's room, it tasted terrible! (but lasted a long tme)

Geez Im a bit embarrassed. Ive been past quite a few of these places in my life. Never bothered to stop

South of the Border ("Pedros"). If you've been on I-95, you know about the pun-ishing billboards. No reports or advice except don't buy chewing gum from that machine in the men's room, it tasted terrible! (but lasted a long tme)
Finally, a place I actually went to!
Return trip from FL, end of summer 1979 headed back to senior year of college in NY.
I still have a dark brown glass sombrero souvenier from the gift shop. Is it an antique yet? ;)

The House on the Rock is stellar, everyone should experience it. There is a place called the "infinity Room", which is a room built out away from the house. The ground is about 200 feet below, and windows are everywhere. You feel like you are standing on air in the middle of a forest............:)
I'm getting homesick. We used to go there before it went thoroughly commercial. It was wonderful to drive out there after a long winter followed by eight weeks of rain. They used to allow tourists to sit in the window seats and pick a book off the shelf. The views were terrific. Seemed like every spring there would be more parking lots and more areas roped off. I also enjoyed the music room and carousal they put in later.

Warning: coffee shop story: Last time I planned a trip to Wisconsin (2005) a beautiful young woman looked over my shoulder to see what I was reading. She was a law student but interested in architecture, said that when I'm in Wisconsin I should visit the House of the Rock and Spring Green.:)

Back
Top Bottom