Join Early Retirement Today

Another 'home-free boomers' book out
Old 02-21-2015, 01:51 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Another 'home-free boomers' book out

Came across a new book in the sell-the-house-and-hit-the-road-and-write-about-it genre:

Going Gypsy: One Couple's Adventure from Empty Nest to No Nest at All

According to the reviews, the book is mainly about the empty nester aspect, which -- since I don't have kids -- is of limited interest to me. Some of you may already be familiar with their blog, which focuses on their travels.

I'm not sure there really is a growing "home free" or "gypsy" movement, although obviously some folks are doing this and it's generating a good amount of media coverage.

To me, it sounds like an exhausting existence, particularly when combined with the pressures of maintaining a blog. Travel adds a lot of spice to life, but you can't live off spice alone. I like to have a home -- and community -- to come back to.

Focus is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2015, 01:58 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've followed the Gypsy Nesters on Twitter for some time. I'm with you - I like my home, and my stuff, and my friends, and my church, and my pets, and.....

But it's still an interesting blog - it's given us a few ideas for vacations.

Old 02-21-2015, 03:24 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus View Post
I'm not sure there really is a growing "home free" or "gypsy" movement, although obviously some folks are doing this and it's generating a good amount of media coverage.
Yeah - it's nothing new at all. The previous generation was big into RVs and quite a few did the full-time RV thing. We know a couple in their early 80s now that went full-time sailing 30 years ago. So many organizations supporting them, like Escapees, were founded decades ago. Escapees was founded in 1978.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:19 PM   #4

The latest version of this is the younger folks building Tiny Houses on trailers.
I love reading about the lifestyle, but I too am a fan of having a home base.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 08:12 PM   #5
Dryer sheet wannabe

This lifestyle appeals to me. I've done it while on vacation on two round the world trips and I find it stimulating. Granted if I were to do it full time I'd probably like a few weeks to two months or so in one spot or region. I've never been a huge fan of a single location vacation.

Ideally, I'd like a place to come back to in the event that the lifestyle got tiresome. Maybe something like a vacation rental condo that I could turn into a permanent home if I wanted or needed to.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:19 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

We did the motorhome full-time thing for 2 years after we sold the big house. It was fun but decided we wanted a house again. So we bought a smaller house in a retirement community near our 2 sons.
This year we are renting houses and cabins. Had a nice house in Utah for March, will be in 2 different cabins in Colorado for July and August. I've found it is worth it if you are doing a monthly rental to ask for a discount. Next year we're thinking of Oregon and Washington, or maybe Hawaii for a month.
I thought about traveling like the above but didn't have the guts to try it....
Old 05-19-2015, 08:21 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus View Post
sounds like a nightmare to me