Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Another reason not to go to Mexico
Old 01-08-2011, 06:13 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Another reason not to go to Mexico

USA and Mexico Are The Fattest Countries In The World

Thirty percent of Mexican adults are obese as are 28% of Americans, the two fattest nations in the world, according to a book just published by the OECD

+++++

Is it all the Americans going there?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2011, 06:27 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post

Thirty percent of Mexican adults are obese as are 28% of Americans, the two fattest nations in the world, according to a book just published by the OE
Although predictions involving the future are a real challenge, I'd bet that very soon we will see the Mexico number fall to 29% and the US number rise to 29%.
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:17 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I blame it on those all-inclusive resorts... too much good food, they also contribute to a high-level of alcohol consumption.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:46 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I have to disagree Dex... it looks like Americans would blend in rather naturally there...
Old 01-09-2011, 06:59 AM   #5
Administrator

I still remember where (and when) I first started seeing obese people in Venezuela. At the fast food court in the shopping mall across the street from where I worked.

Don't recall having known any really obese folks that prepare their own food at home.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:18 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I still remember where (and when) I first started obese people in Venezuela.
So it's your fault! Did you start them in the US too?

Ha
Old 01-09-2011, 10:56 AM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
So it's your fault! Did you start them in the US too?

Ha
Fixed. Thanks.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:35 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Isn't this just North America? Seems the obesity problem has

I think the most obese people I ever saw were in Nova Scotia. Forgive me, Canadians, but that is what I observed. Still - 24% versus 28% - obviously the US is fatter overall. And Australia, New Zealand, UK all have Canada beat.

Interesting - with the exception of Mexico, it seems like all the fattest countries were countries originally colonized from England.

Frankly, I'm amazed the Mexico has the US beat in this dubious honor.

Audrey
Old 01-09-2011, 12:17 PM   #9

Just a short visit to Houston will confirm this information you posted.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:50 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post

Thirty percent of Mexican adults are obese as are 28% of Americans, the two fattest nations in the world, according to a book just published by the OECD

+++++

Is it all the Americans going there?
Unfortunately the newest kind of Mexican diet plan involves decapitation. Sure it's a quick way to drop 10# or so, but oh the headache it causes...

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:39 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Unfortunately the newest kind of Mexican diet plan involves decapitation. Sure it's a quick way to drop 10# or so, but oh the headache it causes...
Si, but then you can get back in the little box...

S'awright? S'awright!
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:50 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
ok

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:16 PM   #13

like i needed a reason much less another reason not to go to mexico? you couldn't pay me to go there. and what's up with fat mexicans? i thought that was a country full of peasants. where do they get the money to over eat, i'd think their problem was getting money to eat for survival.
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:46 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

The Mexicans have great food and plenty of it at cheap prices so it's no wonder there's a problem.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:13 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTravlin View Post
The Mexicans have great food and plenty of it at cheap prices so it's no wonder there's a problem.
So the natural tendency of humans would be to eat until they they are grossly fat, unless lack of money or food prevented that?

Why are the leanest people in the world mostly found in wealthy advanced countries? Why are country clubs and city clubs filled with lean men and women? Food no good or not enough money to buy it?

Ha
Old 01-09-2011, 09:42 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Why are the leanest people in the world mostly found in wealthy advanced countries? Why are country clubs and city clubs filled with lean men and women? Food no good or not enough money to buy it?

Old 01-28-2011, 10:33 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

When traveling in the States, I've always been amazed at the huge size of portions at the restaurants in the U.S. as compared to home (Canada). Food at grocery stores is also much less expensive.

Could also be that it's all the shivering we do from Oct.- March that burns those calories...
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:38 AM   #18

I am a big eater, so I often parse a menu with "will this dish be enough for me" in mind. In Thailand, I often had to order two dishes. On my way home after my workout the other day, I ate two value meals at McD's (fries and drink of a regular value meal are smaller here in the Philippines than in the USA, and I get diet coke).

Man, I love the food in Mexico. Tacos el pastor, tasty salsa and tortillas, enchilada dishes in restaurants . . . mmmm. When I was traveling there and eating in restaurants, I did notice the lack of green vegetables on the side, something that I miss.

Here in the Philippines, I occasionally pay a premium for good Mexican food at a local restaurant to get my fix. They have huge portions.

If I don't get it regularly, I miss Mexican cuisine more than any other food. It is what I grew up on . . .
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:43 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

After two years of living at Lake Chapala in the state of Jalisco and traveling around the rest of the country, here are a few observations:

1. Biggest problem is the incursion of the soft drinks and processed foods companies - another gift (along with guns for the cartels and drug demand) from the U.S. Frito Lay and Coca Cola trucks everywhere, subsidized prices on heavily-advertised crap.

2. People who still eat the traditional corn and bean based diet and work their butts off 6 days a week - which would describe most Mexicans I see - are lean and ridiculously strong. But among the young and the wealthy there's the same obesity epidemic as in the U.S., for the exact same reasons.

3. Traditional Mexican food is nothing like what you see in the U.S. Not fat-free, but far lower in fat. Tacos as a rule are 1-2 Tablespoons of meat on a fresh-made (not fried) tortilla, topped with veggies and salsa. Queso fresco is sprinkled lightly on a few foods, not glopped on to everything. Vegetable oil is far more common than lard. Lots of fruit, year-round, ditto fresh vegetables. And it is a grain based diet: the official allotment of corn tortillas is 40 per person per day, and many eat that amount. With simple boiled beans it's a complete protein. Add in a chicken stretched to last a week for an entire family and plenty of gathered fruits and veggies and you have what millions here eat.

As the country grows a larger middle class and corporate marketing continues to grow I expect to see more and more erosion of the traditional diet, as we've seen elsewhere in the world. Still at the moment it's a long way from the U.S., where one of the lead stories this week is about Taco Bell's "beef" containing 65% non-beef add-ons!
kevink is offline   Reply With Quote