another RV trip

dm

Full time employment: Posting here.
We went closer to home this time. This was more a spur of the moment trip to the Meramec River Missouri State Park, it was less than a two hour drive. We left on Sunday and got back on Tuesday. We figured that school had started so the place wouldn't be crowded. We were correct, we did a cave tour, went on a few trails, and rented a canoe for a 5 mile float.

We had no problems with the old trailer, but are making a list of things to do for our next trip. Its not hard to pic ours out from the crowd.

We had a good time and the weather was great.

Here is a pic of our campsite and a shot of the river.

Attachments

• 100_0016.jpg
    100_0016.jpg
    752.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 100_0012.jpg
    100_0012.jpg
    384.8 KB · Views: 9
Looks like a great time dm!

We'll be pulling our little Aliner hard sided pop-up down to Montauk State Park in Missouri in early October. We'll have our kayaks with us and will spend a few days on the Current River and possibly the Jack's Fork River.

Yep, once the kids are back in school, the parks really open up.

Very nice dm. You really did a nice job on your TT.

Makes me itch to hit the road again but it looks like another 4-5 weeks before we'll be able to get away for a few days.

Nice setup dm. I looked at that picture for a long time and will probably go back to it. Reminded me of the "old" days when DW and I were doing that sort of thing. Couldn't do it today because it does require work. Just couldn't do it anymore. We had a 35 ft. Avion, triple axle rig. Great to tow. It was a 1978 model that we bought in 1987, the year before I retired. In 1990 we gave up the RV scene and put the Avion on a consignment lot. In 1991, my MIL died, FIL wanted to move to Florida to be close to us but he wanted his own place for he and his dog. He didn't have much money, so we had the Avion pulled down to Ft. Myers and set up in an RV park close to our house. He lived in it for five years, got cancer and died in 1995. We sold the Avion to a friend of our son, who had it towed to some lake in Kentucky and spends the summers up there. That thing is 33 years old and still very livable according to our son. Your pic and setup just brought back some memories.

Going to Meramec River Missouri State Park in early October to do some fishin at a trout farm ( name of it escapes me right now) and some wine tasting. Will be staying in a cheap hotel ( called Finns in st. james). Done it the last 2 yrs. Good road trip from Chicago.

Golfnut

We have only spent 8 nights so far in the camper. But so far we are enjoying it. We have made reservations for Florida in January for a few weeks, and a week in Georgia in April. We will also probably continue to take a few short 2 to 3 day trips within a few hours from home. Before the camper we went camping in a tent, I think it was 1982. But now we have a bathroom with a shower, heat, A/C, and a kitchen. So it makes it a lot nicer.

I was originally looking for an older Airstream, but came across this one on craigslist and went ahead and bought it. My wife and I wanted something a little different, and I didn't want to spend a lot of money on something we may not enjoy. If we bang it up, or cant sell it, it's not a big deal.

It is kind of interesting that everytime we have been out that people have asked to look it over and seem to like the old trailer. And there are plenty of high dollar fifth wheels and motorhomes around us. But it does stand out from the others. I guess its like a vintage car, most don't want one, but enjoy looking.

We have only spent 8 nights so far in the camper. But so far we are enjoying it. We have made reservations for Florida in January for a few weeks, and a week in Georgia in April. We will also probably continue to take a few short 2 to 3 day trips within a few hours from home.
I took a look at our annual usage and we've averaged 42 nights/year over the past four years. Only 19 so far this year but we do like to camp in the fall and have a short trip planned for mid-Sept plus a two week trip to the Ozarks for some leaf peeping in late October.

We will (I hope) spend more time on the road once the grandkids get a little older and Grandma doesn't think she's abandoning them if we're gone for more than 10 days...

Love those Missouri State Parks (and Arkansas)!

Another really cool one in SE Missouri is Onandaga Cave State Park. Really nice cave and lovely camping.

We used Montauk as a base one May. Went canoeing down the river. The water was so fast (2x normal) that I wished I had been in a kayak instead!

Fun, fun!

Audrey

Back
Top Bottom