Antarctica Travel

StephieJean

Recycles dryer sheets
We are leaving for Antarctica this month and wonder if we need trekking poles? We have them; however, we feel they will be in our way of photographing the landscape since we will not be "hiking" per say. Thoughts on the matter, please.

On our recent trip the ship provided them. They had more than enough for everyone. In some places (certainly not all) you will definitely want them, so check with your company to be sure they carry them.

We are leaving for Antarctica this month and wonder if we need trekking poles? We have them; however, we feel they will be in our way of photographing the landscape since we will not be "hiking" per say. Thoughts on the matter, please.
Thank you so much for your responses.

I spent 22 months down there between South Pole Station and at the remote field camp Siple Dome. Never needed them, we didn't even use them when we did happy camper school. Were we built igloos out of snow to sleep in for 2 nights and purposely crossed cravas's to teach us how to get out of them.

I spent 22 months down there between South Pole Station and at the remote field camp Siple Dome. Never needed them, we didn't even use them when we did happy camper school. Were we built igloos out of snow to sleep in for 2 nights and purposely crossed cravas's to teach us how to get out of them.

I don't doubt you for a minute, but I'm thinking you were younger than the typical cruise ship passenger. On our trip last month nearly half the people used the provided poles (and needed them).

I don't doubt you for a minute, but I'm thinking you were younger than the typical cruise ship passenger. On our trip last month nearly half the people used the provided poles (and needed them).
Thank you all very much. DW and I decided to bring one set, and each use one pole if needed. They break down very small and will fit in out luggage without issue. Better safe than sorry, right? Our ship only provides the boots, nothing else, so want to bring them just in case.

Our ship only provides the boots, nothing else, so want to bring them just in case.

Good decision. If you land at a couple of the same places we did, you'll be glad you have them. And one apiece would be fine.

Back
Top Bottom