Join Early Retirement Today

Question Antarctica Travel
Old 01-07-2020, 12:30 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Question Antarctica Travel

We are leaving for Antarctica this month and wonder if we need trekking poles? We have them; however, we feel they will be in our way of photographing the landscape since we will not be "hiking" per say. Thoughts on the matter, please.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2020, 12:35 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I do not think you will need them as you landings will be on beaches.
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 12:38 PM   #3

On our recent trip the ship provided them. They had more than enough for everyone. In some places (certainly not all) you will definitely want them, so check with your company to be sure they carry them.
Old 01-07-2020, 12:48 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephieJean View Post
We are leaving for Antarctica this month and wonder if we need trekking poles? We have them; however, we feel they will be in our way of photographing the landscape since we will not be "hiking" per say. Thoughts on the matter, please.
Thank you so much for your responses.
Old 01-09-2020, 03:18 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You could have your cake and eat it to with a TrekPod II - Lightweight, Travel Monopod Tripod Combination | TrekPods | Trek-Tech

The YouTube videos can be found here - https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=trekpod
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 03:43 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I spent 22 months down there between South Pole Station and at the remote field camp Siple Dome. Never needed them, we didn't even use them when we did happy camper school. Were we built igloos out of snow to sleep in for 2 nights and purposely crossed cravas's to teach us how to get out of them.
nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 03:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody View Post
I spent 22 months down there between South Pole Station and at the remote field camp Siple Dome. Never needed them, we didn't even use them when we did happy camper school. Were we built igloos out of snow to sleep in for 2 nights and purposely crossed cravas's to teach us how to get out of them.
I don't doubt you for a minute, but I'm thinking you were younger than the typical cruise ship passenger. On our trip last month nearly half the people used the provided poles (and needed them).
Old 01-12-2020, 10:16 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I don't doubt you for a minute, but I'm thinking you were younger than the typical cruise ship passenger. On our trip last month nearly half the people used the provided poles (and needed them).
Thank you all very much. DW and I decided to bring one set, and each use one pole if needed. They break down very small and will fit in out luggage without issue. Better safe than sorry, right? Our ship only provides the boots, nothing else, so want to bring them just in case.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephieJean View Post
Our ship only provides the boots, nothing else, so want to bring them just in case.
Good decision. If you land at a couple of the same places we did, you'll be glad you have them. And one apiece would be fine.