Join Early Retirement Today

Question Any Bargain Priced cruises in Alaska this summer ?
Old 02-20-2008, 06:51 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Question Any Bargain Priced cruises in Alaska this summer ?

My ladyfriend and I have been trying to find a 7 day cruise in Alaska -the Inside passage with Air fare for $2000 or less next June. We have traveled
on several Holland AMerica ships and really enjoy them but we are told Princess or Celebrity may have better deals. We don't mind going from
VanCover or from Seattle.. The price is a prime factor for us at this time.
Can anyone give us some pointers ?
Mark6107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2008, 07:18 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've never been on a cruise in my life, but www.lastminutetravel.com seems to have decent deals. I see a Princess cruise for an inside room at $684 per person leaving June 1 from Seattle (7 day cruise). I honestly have no idea if there are better deals, but at least there is a baseline for you.

http://www.lastminutetravel.com/Page...q=107&eiq=2511
Kronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 07:19 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Check with Discount Cruises, Last Minute Cruises, Cruise, Cruise Line, Cruise Vacation. I have not used them, however, a friend of mine has. They appear to have cheap prices.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 07:09 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Actually, since I was curious, I tried a couple of other sites. Cheap Flights, Airline Tickets, Cheap Airfare & Discount Travel Deals - Kayak.com comes up with the same price. As does Sam's Club travel (which has $75 in shipboard credits included as well). Taxes and fees get you, though.

Cruise:
$1,368.00
Taxes and surcharges:
$225.98

Total cost:
$1,593.98

And that's obviously without the cost of getting to Seattle.
Kronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 09:47 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark6107 View Post
We have traveled on several Holland AMerica ships and really enjoy them
We cruise a lot and have been using Cruise Brothers - Cruise Vacations, Cruise Deals, Discount Cruises, Luxury Cruise Deals on Princess/Carnival/Norwegian Cruise Lines of late. Any of the above mentioned Travel Agencies should provide excellent advise to you. Do not, however, book your cruise through a Cruise Line directly... unless, of course, you wish to pay a premium

Interestingly, Holland America sent us a link yesterday for a Sale (no pun intended) of their Alaska repositioning -- San Diego to Vancouver for as little as $299 for inside and $549 Veranda. We have taken this cruise and although a little rough (it is bucking the Japanese Current) it is a good cruise experience for the money.

Holland America Line

We are leaving next week on a 8-day drive to Ft. Lauderdale for a 10-day cruise of the Southern Caribbean and a 9-day drive back home. That kinda rules out any thoughts of Pacific cruising this Spring/Summer.

Have fun.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 07:29 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Make sure you reserve that much for your excursions!

We did the Inside Passage a couple of years ago, and there really isn't a whole lot to do once in port if you don't take advantage of the excursions. Things like dogsledding and the train up from Skagway to the White Mountain Pass are kind of once-in-a-lifetime things, but cost tons.
amy5708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:45 PM   #7

Also try cruisecompete.com.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:42 PM   #8

Vacationstogo.com - we're going on an Alaska cruise this May for 7 days - $1500 for both of us, also got cheap airfare to Seattle - didn't like the excursions so much, will probably do our own.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:29 AM   #9

Also, Princess just knocked down their prices on Alaskan cruises. Mine was already booked, but I called and got an upgraded cabin for $100 less than I was paying originally.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:09 PM   #10

Just checked out book from the library "Alaska Cruises and Ports of Call" 2007 Frommer - gives a good rundown on all the cruise lines, ships, costs, and land excursions - I'm going to copy a few pages to take with us on our cruise this May - glad I found this!
Old 03-16-2008, 07:33 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I've used CruiseBrothers too - I was very happy with what they recommended. I bet their agents would tell you whether or not Holland America was worth the extra bucks (I also took a Holland America cruise and loved it, and have been told by others that it's one of the better lines).
virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 03:11 AM   #12

We were looking at going this summer with some friends, but just couldn't get thrilled enough to part with 6-8k so we could do it. We have too many other "one-offs" this year to feel comfortable with that, and if I am going on a cruise, I want to have a balcony cabin, not an inside cabin (price more than doubles), enough cash to really enjoy shore excursions, and enough time to justify the nearly $750 per head airfare. Probably won't do this one, and will save what we would have used on that trip and put it towards a visit to Europe/UK. I have been dozens of times for work but DW really wants a chance to go see a few things.
R
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote