Any other battlefield walkers out there?

if its your style we took the 2 hour horseback tour
It was an amazing way to get the feel of the battlefield.

Horseback tours of Gettysburg - Gettysburg Forum - TripAdvisor

It's going to be the day after a marathon, so while walking should be fine to stretch out the legs, going on horseback for the first time won't work. I bet it'd be fun otherwise.

Thanks all, for the tips. Keep 'em coming! I'm hitting the library today for the books, and put the movie in the top of my Netflix queue.

I studied military history and technology as an undergrad so walking battlefields and fortresses comes very naturally. I find that some battlefields evoke the battle very clearly, while others are just fields, no matter what the historical importance. I have my own favorites but I wonder if anyone else has the same reaction?

Walked the Plains of Abraham several times and only felt the crunch of icy field under my feet, cold wind on my face. On a different trip, took an overnight train, went to sleep thinking about baseball, woke up in Civil War country, early morning fog on green hills, rolling past familiar town names, profound.

I visited the Cu Chi tunnels during my visit to Vietnam last year. I found it quite distressing on the journey there, thinking about all those who lost their lives. My father did a tour of duty there so I always wondered if he was one of those who ever had to patrol the area. Once there, it was not as bad as I thought it would be, but I hated how they demonstrated the boobie traps and talked about how people would suffer if they did tread on one of them.

I have never been to Pearl Harbour and it is one of those places I don't want to go. I feel so sad at the thought of all those lives that were lost

Touring Gettysburg with one of the recorded devices (probably CD now) is the way to go. You can drive from point to point in your car while the battle is being described. Also, they have an auditorium where a host will describe the battle and show the troop movement on a scaled image which is great. We as a family have walked Gettsburg many times and I always get goosebumps, just trying to imagine what went on that day.

One other very interesting battlefield I got to visit was Okinawa. My daughter and boys spent three years there with SIL (Marine). We spent five weeks touring the island and playing golf. One of my most interesting travels. They lived at Kadena Air Base, the original Japanese air base. We visited Suhri Castle, the underground caves, the cliffs where many civilians committed suicide, Pease Memorial Park and Motobu Peninsula, where Ernie Pyle was killed. One of my most memorable experiences. Naha, the capital, is a city of 300K and pretty modern thanks to the American forces based there. It's called the poor man's Hawaii. About 1300 miles south of Tokyo. Flew Northwest.

We as a family have walked Gettsburg many times and I always get goosebumps, just trying to imagine what went on that day.

Yeah, that is the reaction I get when walking around the Custer battlefield where there are markers where each of the participants -- on both sides --was killed... where the body ended up, actually.

Johnnie, actually Gettysburg was 3 days not just one. Pickets charge was on July 3rd but there was a lot of fighting on the 1st and 2nd of July also. Little Round Top was a big deal.

I really want to go to Stalingrad (Volograd) someday. Some great memorials and the largest freestanding statue in the world.

My wife, daughter and I walked the woods at Little Round Top for over 40 minutes. During that time we would stop about every 3-5 minutes and remain silent, just observing with all our senses. It was a beautiful sunny and extremely still afternoon, no wind. We came across no other visitors. Our observations were surreal. Not a sound or movement in those woods for our entire 40 minutes. We all commented about this absense of sound and movement very soon in our walk. We were on hallowed gound.

Back
Top Bottom