Any recommendations for accommodations in Chiang Mai

jabbahop

Recycles dryer sheets
We will be in Chiang Mai for 5 days at the end of October and wondering if anyone has recommendations for places to stay there. Moderately priced ($100ish), good location - hotel or guest house. Lots of options on the web/trip advisor but wanted to see if anyone here had first hand experiences.

We also are going to Seim Reap Cambodia and need a place there as well.

Thanks all.

In Siem Reap we stayed at Central Indochine D'angkor Hotel .

We were very happy with it. If you reserve, do it direct and get a room facing the pool. Breakfast was very good. Western style. Not expensive. Wonderful front desk staff. We returned each day from touring at 2/3 PM for a jump in the pool and an ice cold beer.

Cannot remember where we stayed in Chiang Mai. If I find it I will post. It was a small lodge.

Chiang Mai
In 2012 we stayed at Yindee Stylish Guesthouse. It's nice but basic yet stylish boutique hotel in the old city. Fairly central location and inexpensive. Enjoyed our stay. Kind of hidden down a laneway. Laundry at the end of the road. Would consider staying here again if rooms available.

In 2014 I think we Hotwired it and ended up with the Suriwongse near Night Bazaar. It was looking a bit dated when we stayed but I think they may have remodeled. Big hotel. Came with breakfast. Location has some benefits being near the Night Bazaar but I think I liked staying closer to the old city. Many laundry options along Loi Kroh road. Not my first choice as there are other simpler and cheaper place but would consider staying here again.

In 2015 we stayed at the Imperial Mae Ping which is somewhat nearby the Suriwongse. Also a big hotel that came with breakfast. Kind of reminded me of the Suriwongse but slightly nicer. Waits for an elevator were annoying during the evening. Similarly, not my first choice but would consider staying here again.

I don't think you can go too wrong staying in the old city or just outside of it. It's a pretty walkable city and easy to get around by songthaew or tuktuk.

Siem Reap
In the spring of 2014, we stayed at the Banyon Boutique Hotel. Came with breakfast. Nice rooms. Small pool. Easy walking distance to pub street and all the restaurants and markets in the area. Would have stayed there again in the fall but the prices went up quite a bit and there were other options.

In the fall of 2014, we stayed at the Khmer Mansion Boutique Hotel. Came with breakfast. Nicer rooms and bigger pool. Just down the block from pub street. When we stayed there, the building next door was under construction and they got started early which was annoying. Would consider staying there again if no construction.

I suspect there's constant construction going on in Siem Reap with all the tourist dollars so maybe ask your prospective hotel if there's any construction going on nearby.
There seemed to be new boutique hotels sprouting up. They're nice and you can get a good deal on them.

Found it.

In Chiang Mai we stayed in Top Garden Boutique Guesthouse. It was run by Victor, a very friendly gentleman from Quebec, and his wife.

It is now called V Lodge. Good location, just across the canal. Spotlessly clean.

Victor arranged for a car and driver who toured us into the countryside for a day. It was a great day.

A few years ago we stayed at Soria Moria Boutique Hotel(
www.thesoriamoria.com) in Siem Reap and were very happy with it. Small hotel, good location, great breakfast and reasonable, although I don’t remember the exact cost.

Three years ago we stayed in Montrara Happy House, Chiang Mai. Just outside the old walls right near an entrance but quiet. Under $30 a night with a nice breakfast. Terrific staff who went out of their way to help us when DW got a stomach problem the kept her down for a couple of days. Great place.

$100ish? Are you trying to rent out a whole floor of the building?

$40 should get you something nice. I usually keep my budget for Chiang Mai at or below 600 baht.

I think we paid about $30 in Chiang Mai (but we had one of the largest rooms) and $35 in Siem Reap. The latter included an excellent cooked to order western breakfast and a buffet. That was three years ago. In both instances there were plenty of places that were less expensive.

$100-$125usd will get you a very nice four or five star in Bangkok, complete with buffet breakfast. We are currently shopping for a Jan. reservation.

IF you go, make sure that you understand when Chinese New Year is and book well in advance on both sides of those dates if you plan to be traveling at that time. Same applies throughout SE Asia.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom