Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-21-2017, 08:38 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
I too have dreams of doing a lot of solo RV travel around the US when I quit working in a year or two. The assumption I am making is this will be cheaper than driving and staying in middle of the road 3 star hotels. For those who track their expenses closely have you confirmed the RV route does indeed save a lot of money vs the car and hotel option?
RVing is more of a lifestyle choice than a way to save money. When you factor in the cost of the RV and tow vehicle if needed, then add the extra gas, campground fees, maintenance, camping stuff and hassle factor of setting up and breaking down it is usually more costly to go with an RV for the average person. You have to use the RV a lot to make it work out cheaper than hotels etc. But you get to stay in some amazing places and enjoy the outdoors more with RV.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2017, 08:54 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
I too have dreams of doing a lot of solo RV travel around the US when I quit working in a year or two. The assumption I am making is this will be cheaper than driving and staying in middle of the road 3 star hotels. For those who track their expenses closely have you confirmed the RV route does indeed save a lot of money vs the car and hotel option?
No. It's a lifestyle. It lets you stay places where there aren't motels. But, it doesn't save money.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:22 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
Buy used and as small as you think you will be able to enjoy.

If you get a good buy on a used rig you can always trade up once you start traveling and decide you want something different.

We bought WAY too big for our first rig. We went with a 39' 5th wheel. Way too big for us but thank goodness we got a steal so sold it one year later without losing any money.
That's our plan - start small. We actually looked at Pleasure Way before my DW left for am extended vacation. Our consensus was that we would be uncomfortable if we had to sit inside and ride out lousy weather for a couple days. So, we're going bigger, not not a whole lot. Thanks!
Old 04-21-2017, 09:27 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Like with any hobby, Rv'ing is a commitment to a lifestyle change. These things are meant to be used--and not just left in the driveway drawing dust.

Fortunately, retirees have the time to use them. Since our campgrounds are so close, we could maintain our regular lifestyle including church and taking care of family commitments while staying in the RV. There's nothing wrong about going back and forth to the S&B (sticks and bricks) home to do laundry and cut grass if it's not too far.
That's what we did when we had our small pull behind and kids were young (and we were poor). Drug it to the lake 15 miles away for weeks at a time. DW would go home and do laundry (and enjoy a night away from the mob)
Old 04-21-2017, 11:10 AM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

If you do a lot of driving the gas really adds up. We took a month trip visiting many places but gas, campsites etc ended up costing 6k. I could have taken a 2 week cruise and been totally pampered for that amount of $. So this time we are taking a different approach and going for 18 days but only going to 2 places that are not that far apart and staying a week at each. Weekly rate is cheaper then daily.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:10 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
That's our plan - start small. We actually looked at Pleasure Way before my DW left for am extended vacation. Our consensus was that we would be uncomfortable if we had to sit inside and ride out lousy weather for a couple days. So, we're going bigger, not not a whole lot. Thanks!
Last year, we made an early RV trip in April, being lured by a couple of good timeshare rental deals in Montana and Colorado. We found out previously that breaking up a long RV trip with week-long timeshare stays really enhances the trip experience.

Anyway, the week in Montana worked out well with cooperating weather, but it turned nasty in Colorado. It turned nice again when we checked into the 2nd timeshare near Vail, but the week in between timeshares was shot. We were stuck inside the 25' class C, while it was snowing outside. It was not really cold, but it would be more miserable if we were not at a nice municipal campground with hookups.

Even in that miserable week, we were also able to sneak out for a few hours using the toad to visit the nearby town when the sky cleared a bit. I really like having the toad, which allows excursions into town, or driving to different sightseeing spots or trailheads. I am reluctant now to take an RV trek without the toad. In fact, I have made only two trips without the towed car: the first inaugural trip, and a later weekend trip to a spot 200 miles away.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:26 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
If you do a lot of driving the gas really adds up. We took a month trip visiting many places but gas, campsites etc ended up costing 6k.
I'm not sure your experience is typical.

My records show last year we took two back-to-back trips: The first was for 20 days from S. Texas to CO and NM, then back to S Texas. Two weeks later we hit the road again for 11 days from S Texas to Arkansas and back. That's a total of 31 days, over 3,200 miles towing the trailer and we spent $960 in camp fees and just under $700 in fuel, less than a third what you spent on your trip.

We stayed only in commercial RV parks on the NM/CO trip, spending $800 ($40/night). On the Arkansas trip we stayed all but one night in COE or National Park campgrounds, spending $160 (less than $15/night). We try to take advantage of the Golden Age (AKA 'Geezer') Pass, which provides a 50% discount at COE and National Parks. That's a win-win since they are usually much nicer than commercial parks.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:18 PM   #48

I was finally old enough last year to get the cheap pass. The NP's were really expensive: YS at 55/night and GT at 75/night. We also had to rent a car for a week because we can't pull either of our cars. We didn't want to drive a 27 ft motorhome in the parks. 6 of the days we paid nothing as we stayed with friends or family. Your RV may get better gas mileage as ours only gets 9 mpg.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:40 PM   #49
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I kind of felt that we saved a little, maybe broke even during the 2 years we owned the trailer. We spent 35k roughly on it, and got 20k when we traded it for the motorhome. Yes, it took more gas to pull the trailer, but we saved $70-90 per night off our typical 110-120 per night Marriott TownPlace or Fairview style hotels, didn't have to kennel the dogs, AND we ate a lot healthier and cheaper. We spent over 120 nights in the trailer during the 2 years we had it, and didn't have to spend anything on maintenance.

The big Motorhome, however, is a different story...that is costing a bunch. If we keep it long enough, and use it enough, maybe we'll eventually break even, but I sincerely doubt it. It is a lifestyle choice, but it made traveling so much more enjoyable than the trailer.

At some point, way down the road, we may go to a short bed F-250 and a nice mid-sized fifth wheel, if we decide to half-time RV/snowbird. The big F-350 with dual rear wheels was too much...too bouncy when it wasn't towing or carrying a load, and with all the parking lots having so many spaces for compact cars, I had to park at the furthest end of the parking lot (which we do anyway to add a few more daily steps) but it also took 4 parking spaces...too long and too wide to fit in compact spaces. Again, that will be a lifestyle choice, if we do it...not to save money. If we end up doing that, we'll most likely have a condo in Hawaii for November to March, and then go where the good weather takes us the rest of the year, and using South Dakota as a domicile...still a few years down the road, if ever.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:57 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I'm not sure your experience is typical.

My records show last year we took two back-to-back trips: The first was for 20 days from S. Texas to CO and NM, then back to S Texas. Two weeks later we hit the road again for 11 days from S Texas to Arkansas and back. That's a total of 31 days, over 3,200 miles towing the trailer and we spent $960 in camp fees and just under $700 in fuel, less than a third what you spent on your trip...
$700 for 3,200 miles works out to 22c/mile. This made me look back my record for the longest RV trip that we made, back in 2014. I spent nearly $4000 for around 10,000 miles, so that was 40c/mile. However, gasoline was maybe $3.2/gal back then (my wife's record is in the RV and I am too lazy to go look), and we went up to Canada where it was even more expensive.

I've got to admit, it took a bit of time to get used to pumping $150 of gas a day into the motorhome. It no longer felt that bad when I reminded myself that I did not have to pay for airfare and paid much less for lodging, compared to fly-and-drive. And I do not drive like that every single day of the trip.

PS. Saw what Rambler said about food. Yes, we like to prepare our own food, and eating out for 2 months on the road would drive us nuts. No way I can do a 2-month road trip with a car.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:08 PM   #51

Gas was fairly expensive on the West Coast but we also eat most of our meals in the RV. We did save $ on food. Still unless gas gets much cheaper we won't be going on a long trip anymore.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:12 PM   #52
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
The big Motorhome, however, is a different story...that is costing a bunch. If we keep it long enough, and use it enough, maybe we'll eventually break even, but I sincerely doubt it. It is a lifestyle choice, but it made traveling so much more enjoyable than the trailer.

At some point, way down the road, we may go to a short bed F-250 and a nice mid-sized fifth wheel,...
That's the route we took.

A couple of years after I retired we bought a six year old 40' diesel pusher from the original owner. The wife enjoyed it far more than I did during the four years we owned it. I never got all that comfortable driving that huge bus and cringed at spending $400 for oil changes and $3,000 for new tires. As you know, those things are outrageously expensive to maintain and we were fortunate we didn't have any major repairs prior to selling it.

We then bought a four year old mid-sized FW and new 3/4 ton diesel truck. The 35' FW and single rear wheel truck combination worked well for us - although the FW was right at the pin weight limit for our truck. We've traveled an average of two months a year over the past six years and really enjoyed the truck/FW set up. For us, it is the right combination of size, maneuverability, convenience and cost to maintain. We just splurged on a brand new FW, downsizing from 35' to 31' and the new FW pin weight is comfortably under the truck weight limit requirements.

Looking forward to a big road trip in September and taking a few shorter jaunts in the meanwhile.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:13 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Gas was fairly expensive on the West Coast but we also eat most of our meals in the RV. We did save $ on food. Still unless gas gets much cheaper we won't be going on a long trip anymore.
I dunno if gas will get much cheaper than it is right now.

When we take the RV, I like to go for longer trips. It's not only to make the trip worthwhile because of the gas cost, but also because of all the driving.
Longer trips in turn require a bit more research in order to cover some more interesting places.

Right now, I have no RV'ing plan for 2017. I have to survive the 6-week Europe trek coming soon, before I can think of more travel. It is possible I may take the motorhome out for a year end trip. Will see.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:01 PM   #54

We went 'round and 'round in our minds about 5th wheel, Class A, or Class C. Finally came back around to the 5th wheeler as we already had a truck.

Studied many floor plans. We wanted something where essential areas are still usable when the slide-outs are not extended - in case we ever park at Walmart!

Best RV accessory purchase so far: a 2-inch eggshell latex mattress topper.

Have fun!