Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-25-2017, 07:37 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We are using our RV right now to camp on some land we bought (28 acres of timber forest, tax $29 a year). It is great! Now that spring is here, the solar is putting out enough power I have started to use the electric coffee maker in the morning instead of the percolator on the gas stove. It uses 900 watts which takes the batteries down a few % during the brew but the sun on the 1100 watts of panels has brought us back to full charge by about 10am. We use a 12V/24V 9.1 cu-ft compressor fridge and a propane furnace, water heater, and stove. We go through about 4 gallons of propane a month but we have not done a winter in a cold climate yet.

So our lodging costs right now are $2.42 a month. A withdrawal rate of 0.0000017%
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2017, 10:59 AM   #62
Give me a forum ...

We bought old and used with low miles which cost us 14k. Through the 10 years we have had it we have put 4k in repairs and new tires. However, we have used it more as a extra guest room then traveling. We thought abut selling but then DH got a job out of town and wanted it to live in. Then a few of our friends bought one so we will do some group camping. Buying new seems crazy to me.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 01:28 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
But, the DW is much happier, and you know the old saying..."If mama ain't happy...."
I have this framed on the wall in my bachelor home. To me, it is right up there with the bible as a signpost to a happy life.

Ha
Old 04-25-2017, 03:27 PM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If, for some reason, your RV comes with one of those funny closet things that has one hole for each hanger - just go ahead and change it out to a regular closet rod. You will sooner or later anyway.

Collapsible accessories and such can save space. Measuring cups, colander, dishpan, mixing bowl, laundry basket, dish drainer, etc.

We changed out bulbs to LED bulbs mostly because we have some solar/inverter/battery capability.

We still consider ourselves newbies and enjoy reading advice from others about RVing.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:02 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

And bungee cords to secure your cupboards in case you hit a bump......(perhaps the newer units have locks...it's been a while for me).

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:38 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
And bungee cords to secure your cupboards in case you hit a bump......(perhaps the newer units have locks...it's been a while for me).
We put in the slam locks like boats have for our cabinets. Incredibly useful and not one cabinet has come open even when going off pavement.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._rd_i=16412971
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:16 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
We put in the slam locks like boats have for our cabinets. Incredibly useful and not one cabinet has come open even when going off pavement.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._rd_i=16412971
Anyone who's had their cupboards emptied after a bump would agree it's money well spent.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:12 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
My DW has agreed to bless me with an RV in a few months. Here is a quick summary.

Our budget is ~$40K or less. We're aligned on a B+ or a short C (B's are too claustrophobic for DW). A few years old (2-5) probably OK, as we prefer to avoid the big depreciation hit. No clunkers or high mileage units, though. Our trade off areas will be between features and age / miles.

We've had a pull behind camper, and tent camped before that. Our plan is mostly local / regional stuff until we get our "sea legs" under us (we live north of Charlotte NC, so no shortage of beautiful places nearby). Then we will look to doing more extensive / extended travel.

We wont pull a car or a toy hauler. Maybe just a small trailer with campsite supplies.

Getting lots of insight from Darrow at CIRY and other bogs on RV-ing, but I thought I'd give "shout out" here as I've gleaned lots of good advice on this and other forums here.

So, any seasoned sojourners out there with any tips, pointers, or gotchas?

Thanks!
We bought our first RV 25 ft. Small enough to park downtown and big enough for two. We do not pull anything. We have a hitch storage. 15 to 16 mpg diesel Mercedes chasis. We don't full time and don't want to. We mix it up with air travel and hotels. We have a lot of beautiful places in the US and Canada that we intend to see. We have been glamping in San Diego and Ventura county for the past three weeks. Depreciation is just a fact of life for RVs.
World Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 07:23 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Traveler View Post
glamping
I had never encountered this word before, so I Googled it and watched a vid....now I realize I have been a 'glamper' in a number of places in Africa.

Lucked out...learned a new word, and increased my vocabulary by 5%.

Old 04-28-2017, 06:53 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Traveler View Post
We bought our first RV 25 ft. Small enough to park downtown and big enough for two. We do not pull anything. We have a hitch storage. 15 to 16 mpg diesel Mercedes chasis. We don't full time and don't want to. We mix it up with air travel and hotels. We have a lot of beautiful places in the US and Canada that we intend to see. We have been glamping in San Diego and Ventura county for the past three weeks. Depreciation is just a fact of life for RVs.
Thanks for the idea on hitch storage. I really don't care for a trailer of any size.
Our travel style is similar; a few night in the RV followed by a hotel stay where we can stretch out, take longer (more comfy) showers, etc.
Happy Glamping!
Old 04-28-2017, 09:49 AM   #71

Just keep in mind the weight capacity of your rv, especially if you have anything heavy in your hitch storage.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:01 AM   #72
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

One more suggestion: Be aware that RV's are meant to be used in woodlands, forests and other areas where all sorts of critters reside. Retrieving my wheel chocks yesterday I found this.

Look carefully before reaching into your storage compartments...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Snakeskin.jpg (493.9 KB, 26 views)
Old 05-02-2017, 06:36 PM   #73
Dryer sheet wannabe

Any Sage Advice for Soon to be RV-ers?

Join Good Sam and register on their forum for another good online community. We just bought our 4th RV, a Winnebago Class C 31D. We are very satisfied with it so far. Joined Thousand Trails as they have parks near Boston, New York, and Jersey shore and Orlando areas we like. Rving isn't a money saving move but we enjoy the lifestyle.
No outside maintenance at home which enhances the sense of escape from the daily grind at home. Lock up and go. Good luck in your search.IMG_0373.JPG
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:32 PM   #74

How things change. We just bought a 2004 27' Lazy Daze class C. While we were sitting at our rental in Utah we found this like new low mileage near Denver. Had a friend look at it. Drove over, bought it, and drove back to Utah. We'll fly back over next week to drive it back here. We both decided we missed the RV life.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:44 PM   #75
Dryer sheet wannabe

Lazy Daze

Our prior RV was a '99 27' Lazy Daze. (Great choice). Be sure to register for the LD Owner's forum..great group!

http://www.lazydazeowners.com
Old 05-12-2017, 09:02 AM   #76
Full time employment: Posting here.

This question is completely unrelated but I've always wondered why most RVs have that crazy paint job on the sides - streaks, swirls, etc.? I rarely see an RV without it.
Carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Full body paint
Old 05-12-2017, 09:25 AM   #77
Dryer sheet wannabe

Full body paint

Full body paint is a spendy option on most rvs. (5-10,000). The decals you mention dress things up a bit at no extra charge to the buyer. Otherwise it would be plain white in most cases and look a bit sterile.