Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-06-2019, 02:03 PM   #641
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Yeah I took the Eurostar a few years ago.

Nice to avoid airports, though I went from Paris to London and in Paris we went through metal detectors too.

At Gare du Nord, when you come out of main entrance, people will approach you to get a taxi. These are not licensed drivers.

The taxi rank is to the side of the entrance and licensed taxi drivers are not soliciting rides.

Otherwise, metro is a possibility but if you're toting luggage, not all metro stations may have elevators.
2 years ago we came in from Brussels on the "3:15 to Paris" aka the movie with the terrorists. Albiet a few years later. I warned Mrs Scrapr & Lil Scrapr about the touts on the way to the taxi stand. It was all that and more. LOL. Knowing about it ahead of time made it almost fun.

We were in Paris nominally 5 days 2.5 years ago. I say nominally because we arrived late on Monday, left on Saturday then spent 2 full days in Normandy. So really only 2 good days there. I loved it. Planning on some small group tours. I was knocked out by Ste Chapelle. They have concerts there and i really want to experience that. Never got to Rodin museum. Although the Gates of Hell in the Musee d'Orsay knocked me out. I loved that. More Napolean's tomb & we never got to Musee d'Armee. And just hanging out in cafes & boulevards

Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2019, 03:48 PM   #642
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
Been to the Caribbean, Sedona and Kanab, southern England from London to Cornwall, and Glacier National Park. Next up Acadia NP.
Acadia was disappointing after Glacier. Don't expect it to compare. Enjoyed the White Mountains of New Hampshire much more.

frugal-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 04:23 PM   #643

Is Glacier prettier than The Grand Tetons?
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 05:01 PM   #644

Albuquerque International Balloon Festiva. The world's most photographed event.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191006_080210_HDR.jpg (374.2 KB, 25 views)
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 04:34 PM   #645
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I think so!! Glacier is my favorite national park so far!
Old 10-08-2019, 05:26 PM   #646

Are there polar bears or any types of bears there?
explanade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 06:31 PM   #647
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Grizzlies.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:24 PM   #648
Moderator Emeritus

And black bears
Old 10-09-2019, 02:45 AM   #649

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
Been to the Caribbean, Sedona and Kanab, southern England from London to Cornwall, and Glacier National Park. Next up Acadia NP.
Acadia is/was beautiful; I've been there 4-5 times. Like most National Parks, they have been over run with people. DW and I hiked the Highline Trail in Glacier Nat'l Park, a 17 mile one way treat for the eyes and brain. But we were never ALONE and I'm not talking about the grizzlies, black bears, Rocky Mountain goats, deer, moose, elk and marmots, that we saw.
Winemaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 03:58 AM   #650

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
Acadia was disappointing after Glacier. Don't expect it to compare. Enjoyed the White Mountains of New Hampshire much more.
Not expecting it to be the same. Going for fall color. Glacier is already partly closed.
Old 10-09-2019, 04:02 AM   #651

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I don't think I would say that, and I've been to both. I got better photos in Glacier this year than the Tetons 7 years ago, but a lot of that was timing and being there much longer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4662bfb.jpg (642.3 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_250FB.jpg (813.7 KB, 26 views)
Old 10-09-2019, 05:50 AM   #652
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
I loved Acadia- I think I liked it better than Glacier. Have fun!
Old 10-10-2019, 03:38 PM   #653

I went to Acadia NP years ago and have my first trip to Glacier NP scheduled for next summer. Since I want to stay in the park at a historical hotel or one with lake views, I had to make my reservations a year ahead of time. So I have bookings for both early June and early Sept 2020 to try to avoid the crowds and will cancel one of them depending on weather or forest fire smoke - Many Glacier Lodge closes in mid Sept. I may prefer Glacier with the wildlife and glaciers but traveling along the Maine coast with the beautiful deep blue water and historical towns was very special to this desert rat and I would like to go back at least one more time.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:48 PM   #654
Moderator Emeritus

I had an interesting conversation with a professional landscape photographer a few years ago. He said that in his business Acadia NP was near the top. In fact, he said that when you saw a really stunning photo in a magazine, there was a significant chance that it was taken in Acadia.

Even allowing for some hyperbole because it was his favorite, that's a pretty strong endorsement.

I've been there a few times and I can vouch for the fact that there are a lot of nooks and crannies that can easily be overlooked, and the light changes so much during the course of the day that great photos are very possible with some patience.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:53 PM   #655

Quote:

Go to Churchill Manitoba Canada for Polar bears.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1018181401e.jpg (621.6 KB, 12 views)
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 04:09 PM   #656

We are off to PV Mexico again in December.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:59 AM   #657

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
You were probably one of the few people there this morning not complaining about the cold. Oct 11 is a little early for near freezing temperatures. Hope you got to see the Special Shapes this morning.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:12 AM   #658
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Although some of the operators appear somewhat deficient in directionality:

NetNewsLedger - Balloonists in America's Challenge Rescued by De Beers Victor Mine Staff

Quote:
The balloonists, an American resident, and Polish resident were competing in the 23rd Annual America’s Challenge Gas Balloon race headquartered in Albuquerque, New Mexico and were racing to Duluth, Minnesota.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 03:27 PM   #659
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugeauxgirl View Post
I loved Acadia- I think I liked it better than Glacier. Have fun!
Why? The views and amounts of wildlife were more prolific in Glacier.
Old 10-11-2019, 03:30 PM   #660
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
I went to Acadia NP years ago and have my first trip to Glacier NP scheduled for next summer. Since I want to stay in the park at a historical hotel or one with lake views, I had to make my reservations a year ahead of time. So I have bookings for both early June and early Sept 2020 to try to avoid the crowds and will cancel one of them depending on weather or forest fire smoke - Many Glacier Lodge closes in mid Sept. I may prefer Glacier with the wildlife and glaciers but traveling along the Maine coast with the beautiful deep blue water and historical towns was very special to this desert rat and I would like to go back at least one more time.
We stayed at Many Glacier lodge and the views were SPECTACULAR!!! The lodge is old but the views more than made up for it. I would love to go back!