Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-09-2019, 07:41 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisaukcam View Post
Hmm my post did not 'take', so I will try again.
First a cruise to the Bahamas in February with my son to celebrate our 40th anniversary and my retirement.

Then in the spring a trip west with a travel trailer to visit relatives and to sight see. Missouri; Houston; Carlsbad Caverns; Rodeo, NM; Grand Canyon; Las Vegas; Yellowstone;Great Falls, Mt; Badlands; Wisconsin.
Rodeo NM, half my friends live in Rodeo NM I have a PO Box there.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2019, 07:46 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Grasshopper, my mother recently bought a 40 acre ranchette there for her horses. So we are going to spend a week with her.

chrisaukcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 07:59 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Jan/Feb: Leaving for 1 month trip next week to Maui.
March going to Orlando for a week
October going to Orlando for 2-3 weeks

Planning 35th wedding anniversary trip but not sure where, investigating Greece (Santorini/Mykonos/Athens) via land or maybe cruise or may Italy or maybe something closer to home just do not know....
capjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:37 PM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

These trips you guys have planned....and I want to go on all of them.

For 2019, we have two cruises booked, both out of New Orleans - one in January and one in February. February is with two adult offspring; it was this year's Christmas present.

Sometime in September and/or October, we plan on a 2-3 week road trip. Thinking it will be Road Scholar in San Francisco. We had to cancel that trip a few years ago because of late FIL's illness. Neither DH nor I have ever been to SF.
ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:54 PM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Our choice is about a month in Italy visiting:
Varenna for relaxation after the long flight (north of Milan on Lake Como)
Castlerotto for hiking (in the Dolomites)
Venice ... hopefully will survive the crowds, last there in 1972
Florence
Siena
Orvieto
Rome in a VRBO accommodation
In 2017, when staying in Bellagio, we took the ferry across the lake to Varenna to go on the "Walk of Lovers", and have lunch in a restaurant with a terrace overlooking the lake. I don't remember what I had for lunch, but the glass of Aperol spritz hit the spot. Varenna is not as crowded as Bellagio, and a nice place to relax.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:23 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyes View Post
These trips you guys have planned....and I want to go on all of them.

Sometime in September and/or October, we plan on a 2-3 week road trip. Thinking it will be Road Scholar in San Francisco. We had to cancel that trip a few years ago because of late FIL's illness. Neither DH nor I have ever been to SF.

If you go to SF, try to get tickets to Beach Blanket Babylon. It is hysterical. Like SNL on steroids and no censor. We loved it
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:38 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by capjak View Post
Jan/Feb: Leaving for 1 month trip next week to Maui.

March going to Orlando for a week

October going to Orlando for 2-3 weeks

Planning 35th wedding anniversary trip but not sure where, investigating Greece (Santorini/Mykonos/Athens) via land or maybe cruise or may Italy or maybe something closer to home just do not know....

We spent six weeks in Greece last September/October. It was wonderful. I encourage you to consider islands other than Mykonos and Santorini. There are some wonderful alternatives that are less crowded, and more beautiful with more diverse things to do. PM me if you want details on our itinerary.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:39 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
This trip we plan to spend time around the Gold Coast. Our schedule is fairly open for two weeks. We plan to meet up with friends. After that we fly to Tasmania (from Brisbane) for a week or so of touring. Then to Sydney for five days.

Australia is huge. We have been there twice before. On our last trip we rented a car and toured from Gold Coast to Sydney. Then did another rental from Sydney, drove to Melbourne, and then up the Great Ocean Road. It was wonderful. We spent time in Port Douglas and the Great Barrier Reef area so many years ago that we can hardly remember it. We very much liked Adelaide as well. We have yet to go into the interior.

On the last trip we also picked up a last minute 21 day Australia/NZ cruise from Sydney that ended in Perth.

Yes, even just the East Coast is overwhelming and impossible to do justice to in only a few weeks, from what were finding.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 06:39 AM   #69
Full time employment: Posting here.

We're leaving mid-May for Alaska in the motorhome and plan to return home sometime in September or October. Only have a week at Teklanika campground inside Denali scheduled so far. We plan to do day trips to see the glaciers, whales, bears, possibly polar bears, and anything else we want. Looking at a road map of Alaska it's amazing how little of the state is actually accessible by road.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:44 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
During this time I'm getting deeper into reading about Italian history.

If youve never listened to it, then Id recommend the History of Rome podcast.

Its very well done.

http://thehistoryofrome.com/episodes/
Old 01-10-2019, 09:39 AM   #71

Morocco is high on our list for later in the year. We are not in a position to make plans yet. I intended to take a solo trip (guided) to India last year however events overtook this. Hope to do it this year. DW has no interest in going.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:09 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulak View Post
If youve never listened to it, then Id recommend the History of Rome podcast.

Its very well done.

The History of Rome
I listened to one of these podcasts and it is pretty high quality. Now the task is how deep a dive should I do with this history stuff? The book I mentioned is very good as a starter. Then maybe deeper or in parallel these podcasts. The books on Masters of Rome series by McCullough are an exceedingly deep dive covering just a few years in each and using historical fiction to convey the information.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:09 AM   #73

Brett, my son went to India for a month and enjoyed it. My other son and his wife have been there too. After hearing the stories I have no desire to go but they all enjoyed it.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:22 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
We're leaving mid-May for Alaska in the motorhome and plan to return home sometime in September or October. Only have a week at Teklanika campground inside Denali scheduled so far. We plan to do day trips to see the glaciers, whales, bears, possibly polar bears, and anything else we want. Looking at a road map of Alaska it's amazing how little of the state is actually accessible by road.
Yes, much of Alaska is still wild and inaccessible by vehicles. But the same is true of the Yukon and the Northwest Territories of Canada.

Yet, just to drive whatever roads there are would take a lot of time, particularly with all the pot holes, frost heaves, and gravel and muddy patches. It would take more than one summer.

People who take an Alaskan cruise do not really experience Alaska. And even people who go on an extended land tour only see the corridor from Whittier to Denali, or perhaps up to Fairbanks, along very well traveled paved highways.

Be sure to spend a lot of time at the Morris Thompson Visitor Center in downtown Fairbanks. They show excellent documentary films about Alaskan places that only the really avid adventurers get to see in person. I am glad just to be able to see it on film. Yes, we spent several days in Fairbanks, visited the center every day and got to see all their films. And we were there during the Midnight Sun Run, and the downtown festival. We enjoy Anchorage too, but stayed for longer in Fairbanks.

And when stopping at Mile 0 in Dawson Creek and visiting the Visitor Center, be sure to allow enough time to watch the video on the building of the Alaska Highway that is shown in the back room. It's about 1-hour long, and we really enjoyed it. There was some footage that we did not see in documentaries shown in other places.

PS. We saw a lot more wild life in the Yukon than in Alaska.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:43 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Yes, much of Alaska is still wild and inaccessible by vehicles. But the same is true of the Yukon and the Northwest Territories of Canada.

Yet, just to drive whatever roads there are would take a lot of time, particularly with all the pot holes, frost heaves, and gravel and muddy patches. It would take more than one summer.

People who take an Alaskan cruise do not really experience Alaska. And even people who go on an extended land tour only see the corridor from Whittier to Denali, or perhaps up to Fairbanks, along very well traveled paved highways.

Be sure to spend a lot of time at the Morris Thompson Visitor Center in downtown Fairbanks. They show excellent documentary films about Alaskan places that only the really avid adventurers get to see in person. I am glad just to be able to see it on film. Yes, we spent several days in Fairbanks, visited the center every day and got to see all their films. And we were there during the Midnight Sun Run, and the downtown festival. We enjoy Anchorage too, but stayed for longer in Fairbanks.

And when stopping at Mile 0 in Dawson Creek and visiting the Visitor Center, be sure to allow enough time to watch the video on the building of the Alaska Highway that is shown in the back room. It's about 1-hour long, and we really enjoyed it. There was some footage that we did not see in documentaries shown in other places.

PS. We saw a lot more wild life in the Yukon than in Alaska.
We did a land tour that covered Fairbanks and Denali. One thing that was a hoot was riding the rapids on the Denali rive. The word was "Glacial Facial"
I have attached a copy of our trip story.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ALASKA EXPLORER 2011.pdf (1.00 MB, 15 views)
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:21 PM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

Still planning 2019, a lot is up in the air due to health situation of older relatives.

Probably do some camping in Arizona in March, along with playing in a baseball tournament and seeing some spring training games. Then might catch up with my daughter in Cambodia, Laos, and Vietnam for six weeks in April/May.
shortstop14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:52 AM   #77

Back to my roots. My grandparents/mother's side immigrated from Czechslovakia in the early 1900's. My father's parents immigrated from Budapest also in early 1900's, so I'm 50/50. Our May-June travels will be back to my roots.

Prague>>Olomouc>>Vienna>>Budapest>>back to Prague. We just have to experience Vienna since it's so close.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:05 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
... Looking at a road map of Alaska it's amazing how little of the state is actually accessible by road.
I recall the book Investment Biker by Jim Rogers, where he recounted his travel around the world on a motorcycle, with his girlfriend on another bike. In planning the trip, they looked at the map of Siberia, and said there was something very wrong with the map. The map showed no road linking dots representing cities. So, they said when they got there, they would get better maps.

And when they got there, they found out the truth: there was no road!

They ended up riding along the train track. For some legs, they could handle it no more, and put their bikes on the train, if I remember correctly.

PS. At one point, their bikes broke down. They got themselves to a Soviet military camp, asked for help, and were refused. With nothing else to do, they just camped out in front for a few days until the soldiers took pity on them and helped fix their bikes.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:12 AM   #79
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post

Prague>>Olomouc>>Vienna>>Budapest>>back to Prague. We just have to experience Vienna since it's so close.

My DH and I were discussing other possible destinations in the future and your trip is exactly where I wanted to go. It sounds wonderful!
hausfrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:51 AM   #80

If you want a day trip idea whilst in Vienna you might want to consider the Austria rail Wachau Valley day trip. We did this and enjoyed it very much.

The package includes a rail trip up the valley. Entrance to a heritage building overlooking the river. A very nice trip down the river on a river boat. You stop at a small town. Then a rail trip back to Vienna. Very nice full day outing. You can buy it on line but we waited until we were in Vienna to ensure that we picked a good weather day. We bought some of our intercity rail tickets on line from the Austrian rail system prior to leaving home-at a substantial discount.

brett is offline   Reply With Quote