Any Travel Plan for 2019?

Status
Not open for further replies.
DH booked this Globus trip last summer; here’s the itinerary, which is followed by a three-night Aegean cruise; total cost including air from Chicago is $3760 for the two of us https://www.globusjourneys.com/tour/greek-escape/kga/. I didn’t even know he wanted to see Greece, and I think the okay group trip we took last spring to Ireland with relatives perhaps appealed to him with no planning on our part (vs the amazing Spain trip we took this fall with friends, after two years of DH planning an awesome itinerary down to the tiniest detail using TripMaster). I don’t ever mind being perceived as a tourist because duh, we are, and am looking forward to it and seeing it with DH. We have traveled a lot so this is just another little dancing lesson for us.

SousChef, I hear such good things about Tauck but this one likely will not come near that level.

Scuba, I told DH we can skip part of the group stuff and get a guide on our own considering this trip as is is pretty reasonable. I am sure we will be up at dawn every day!

After your trip, please let us know how it went. DW wants to go to Greece, so I'm on the look out for good ideas.

After your trip, please let us know how it went. DW wants to go to Greece, so I'm on the look out for good ideas.

Sunset, we spent six weeks in Greece last year. Feel free to PM me if you want ideas. Depends on your interests of course but Greece offers something for everyone. We loved it!

To celebrate our 35th anniversary, we booked a 12 day walking trip in June in Southernmost Ireland (the Dingle Way) with MacAdventures (they arrange bed & breakfast and ferry luggage to bed & breakfast, so you only carry a day pack).

We've used them before to walk the Lake District and the West Highland Way (Scotland). Price was more than reasonable (and going down with the pound), although we haven't booked airfare yet.

Last edited:
We are doing our usual 2 consecutive timeshare weeks in Vermont and New Hampshire for the summer. Plan to go to Utah in September to see Zion and Bryce. Hopefully the government will be open by then because I will need to book airfare in a couple of months!

Then we go back to our Vermont timeshare for Thanksgiving week. And our usual few days at an Inn in New Hampshire for XMAS.

We're always looking for an airline to take on a new destination, and this year it's Boston to Madrid that is offering cheap flights. Visiting Toledo on a day trip.

We'll take a train down to Granada. Then fly over to Barcelona and take a fast train to Paris a few days later.

We've given up having relatives take care of 7 year old granddaughter, Brynley. We're just taking her with us the day school is out, and she'll be a very well traveled gal. She especially wants to see the Eiffel Tower.

If you can, take the train to Segovia (30min). From the station, take a taxi to the Segovia Alcazar. It's like a Disney castle. We liked it much more than the Toledo Alcazar.

We're not traveling anywhere that's more than a few hours away from home. Aside from the airline hassles, I would be embarrassed to travel abroad and be identified as an American.

We are traveling from our home in Hawaii to the US mainland and then to South America.
Houston to Costa Rica, to Peru, to Chile, to Uruguay (7 days with a day trip to Buenos Aires), back to Santiago, Chile where we will live for a month, Peru, Costa Rica, US mainland, home. 63 days total.

Taking a short hop with my buddy (was best man at wedding) to Germany. Using Munich as the anchor hotel location and hitting Ulm, Lindau, Konstanz and Salzburg as day trips. Also going to BMW Welt and Museum on the "rest" days.

Wifey and I just returned from a 9 day Celebrity Cruise to the ABC Islands. Weather last week was sunny, warm, with no rain.

We have two more trips planned this year.

1. A spring getaway to Illinois (wedding.)

2. Last week of June - a one week trip to London and Amsterdam.

Cheers,

I

We are traveling from our home in Hawaii to the US mainland and then to South America.
Houston to Costa Rica, to Peru, to Chile, to Uruguay (7 days with a day trip to Buenos Aires), back to Santiago, Chile where we will live for a month, Peru, Costa Rica, US mainland, home. 63 days total.
If you will be in Peru, find a charter flight over the Nazca lines while you still can. They are amazing!

We're not traveling anywhere that's more than a few hours away from home. Aside from the airline hassles, I would be embarrassed to travel abroad and be identified as an American.

That is sad...
Most folks in foreign countries like us visiting, it provides income and a chance for both sides to learn new things about the actual citizens of the country instead of just gov't declarations.

Thank you I enjoyed reading about your trip!! Many years ago we had a driver take us to Hana. That way, we got to shut our eyes for some of the Hana Road. :LOL:

Ha! We did it the opposite way--had a bad rental car and brakes started misbehaving on way back. No cell service and emergency phones on side of road literally told us it wasn't their problem. We made it back with the emergency brake and coasted into the rental car lot screeching the whole way. Fun times...

A trip to Orlando to see family. For some reason it always feels right to visit Orlando. There is a very relaxing vibe.

Need to perk up the savings too. Always feels good to do this!

Two couples chartered a 40’ catamaran + skipper to tour islands and coast of Croatia in September. On the way staying a few nights on lake Como and touring Dubrovnik prior to boarding boat.

About 2 hours ago I just landed in my favorite spot in Hawaii and will be here until April 17th. (I hate winter :)

Very nice, 3 months in Hawaii. Are you on Oahu? What do you do for 3 months there besides lots of beaches? We've never gone more then 10 days or so.

I lived here for 30 years so it is more like coming home. Friends, etc.

Yes, I am on Oahu, after living here this long I know where and what to do so as not to be lumped into the tourist stuff.

Last edited:
We love to travel. This year, we have a week planned in February in Puerto Villarta, Mexico and a 7 night Caribbean cruise in April. We'll schedule a trip to Italy in October and then visit family during the summer in Long Island and Philadelphia.

We only have a few trips planned to see the granddaughter, but this year we plan to be spontaneous, taking a few trips based on airfare sales. And by sales, I mean to places we’ve haven’t been to but always thought we’d like to visit.

About Motorhomes:

And I just learned to call them caravans.

I belive that is the name for what people in the US call RV trailers. RVs wih their own engines and steering wheels are called Motorhomes in the UK. Or Camper Vans. Somewhat depending on size but no fixed rules here.

But when you leave the UK it gets more interesting! :rolleyes:

Bobil is the Norwegian name - translates to "livable car". Husbil in Sweden or "house car". The Danes use Autocamper.

And in Germany they have several overlapping words. Reisemobil or "travel car". Wohnmobil or "livable car". And occasionally they use Motorhome.
In France they have their own English sounding name - Camping Car.

So great variety! But the most confusing for me is the Americans calling everything an RV. :LOL:

If you can, take the train to Segovia (30min). From the station, take a taxi to the Segovia Alcazar. It's like a Disney castle. We liked it much more than the Toledo Alcazar.

We did that when we were in Barcelona some years ago, except that we walked from Segovia train station to the Castle.

It's less than 2 miles one way, and we looked at the town and its people as we walked. On the way back, took a detour to the town center to see the church and have roast suckling pig for a late lunch before walking back to the train staton.

Wonderful one-day trip and still had the evening to go look for dinner in Barcelona.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom