Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 01:15 PM   #121
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
DH booked this Globus trip last summer; here’s the itinerary, which is followed by a three-night Aegean cruise; total cost including air from Chicago is $3760 for the two of us https://www.globusjourneys.com/tour/greek-escape/kga/. I didn’t even know he wanted to see Greece, and I think the okay group trip we took last spring to Ireland with relatives perhaps appealed to him with no planning on our part (vs the amazing Spain trip we took this fall with friends, after two years of DH planning an awesome itinerary down to the tiniest detail using TripMaster). I don’t ever mind being perceived as a tourist because duh, we are, and am looking forward to it and seeing it with DH. We have traveled a lot so this is just another little dancing lesson for us.

SousChef, I hear such good things about Tauck but this one likely will not come near that level.

Scuba, I told DH we can skip part of the group stuff and get a guide on our own considering this trip as is is pretty reasonable. I am sure we will be up at dawn every day!
I have attached a copy of our trip story to give you an idea of what you will see,
Another company I would recommend is Odysseys Unlimited. They feature small group tours of about 20 people. I have taken tours of China and Italy with them and enjoyed both of them.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Athens to Venice 1996.pdf (332.0 KB, 12 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2019, 02:18 PM   #122
Full time employment: Posting here.

Some plans are emerging...

My mum wants me to drive my Motorhome to Britain in the summer. And I have agreed. But that is all we have planned so far.

Before that I want to be a snowbird. I usually take my Motorhome but this year I will probably try something new - drive my SUV and stay at AirBnB type places.

On these trips I usually don't plan much. I have a general idea of where to go - like Spain or Italy. The actual route and places visited emerge from local weather reports and googling for information about what is nearby.

Living in Norway I have to cross a few other countries first. Taking my time. Staying for a few days if the weather is nice. But it's winter. So if it's not I am driving further south.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:17 PM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
If you go to SF, try to get tickets to Beach Blanket Babylon. It is hysterical. Like SNL on steroids and no censor. We loved it

Thank you. I remembered hearing about BBB after reading your post; it is included (Day #4) on Road Scholar itinerary.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:58 PM   #124

Quote:
We just got back from a Hawaiian cruise. Our story is attached.
The other thing about being elite is the loyalty OBC! I spend it all and the wine prices don't bother me when comped
Old 01-14-2019, 04:59 AM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
Some plans are emerging...

My mum wants me to drive my Motorhome to Britain in the summer. And I have agreed. But that is all we have planned so far.

And I just learned to call them caravans.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:46 PM   #126
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
DH booked this Globus trip last summer; here’s the itinerary, which is followed by a three-night Aegean cruise; total cost including air from Chicago is $3760 for the two of us https://www.globusjourneys.com/tour/greek-escape/kga/. I didn’t even know he wanted to see Greece, and I think the okay group trip we took last spring to Ireland with relatives perhaps appealed to him with no planning on our part (vs the amazing Spain trip we took this fall with friends, after two years of DH planning an awesome itinerary down to the tiniest detail using TripMaster). I don’t ever mind being perceived as a tourist because duh, we are, and am looking forward to it and seeing it with DH. We have traveled a lot so this is just another little dancing lesson for us.

SousChef, I hear such good things about Tauck but this one likely will not come near that level.

Scuba, I told DH we can skip part of the group stuff and get a guide on our own considering this trip as is is pretty reasonable. I am sure we will be up at dawn every day!
After your trip, please let us know how it went. DW wants to go to Greece, so I'm on the look out for good ideas.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:04 AM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
After your trip, please let us know how it went. DW wants to go to Greece, so I'm on the look out for good ideas.

Sunset, we spent six weeks in Greece last year. Feel free to PM me if you want ideas. Depends on your interests of course but Greece offers something for everyone. We loved it!
Old 01-15-2019, 08:55 AM   #128
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Will do!
Old 01-15-2019, 03:38 PM   #129

To celebrate our 35th anniversary, we booked a 12 day walking trip in June in Southernmost Ireland (the Dingle Way) with MacAdventures (they arrange bed & breakfast and ferry luggage to bed & breakfast, so you only carry a day pack).

We've used them before to walk the Lake District and the West Highland Way (Scotland). Price was more than reasonable (and going down with the pound), although we haven't booked airfare yet.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:26 PM   #130

We are doing our usual 2 consecutive timeshare weeks in Vermont and New Hampshire for the summer. Plan to go to Utah in September to see Zion and Bryce. Hopefully the government will be open by then because I will need to book airfare in a couple of months!

Then we go back to our Vermont timeshare for Thanksgiving week. And our usual few days at an Inn in New Hampshire for XMAS.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:02 PM   #131
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
We're always looking for an airline to take on a new destination, and this year it's Boston to Madrid that is offering cheap flights. Visiting Toledo on a day trip.

We'll take a train down to Granada. Then fly over to Barcelona and take a fast train to Paris a few days later.

We've given up having relatives take care of 7 year old granddaughter, Brynley. We're just taking her with us the day school is out, and she'll be a very well traveled gal. She especially wants to see the Eiffel Tower.
If you can, take the train to Segovia (30min). From the station, take a taxi to the Segovia Alcazar. It's like a Disney castle. We liked it much more than the Toledo Alcazar.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:09 PM   #132
Confused about dryer sheets

We're not traveling anywhere that's more than a few hours away from home. Aside from the airline hassles, I would be embarrassed to travel abroad and be identified as an American.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:13 PM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4512 View Post
We're not traveling anywhere that's more than a few hours away from home. Aside from the airline hassles, I would be embarrassed to travel abroad and be identified as an American.
Your loss. There are more days behind you than there is in front of you.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:14 PM   #134
Recycles dryer sheets

We are traveling from our home in Hawaii to the US mainland and then to South America.
Houston to Costa Rica, to Peru, to Chile, to Uruguay (7 days with a day trip to Buenos Aires), back to Santiago, Chile where we will live for a month, Peru, Costa Rica, US mainland, home. 63 days total.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:18 PM   #135
Recycles dryer sheets

Taking a short hop with my buddy (was best man at wedding) to Germany. Using Munich as the anchor hotel location and hitting Ulm, Lindau, Konstanz and Salzburg as day trips. Also going to BMW Welt and Museum on the "rest" days.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:34 PM   #136
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
We just got back from a Hawaiian cruise. Our story is attached.
Thank you I enjoyed reading about your trip!! Many years ago we had a driver take us to Hana. That way, we got to shut our eyes for some of the Hana Road.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:31 PM   #137

Wifey and I just returned from a 9 day Celebrity Cruise to the ABC Islands. Weather last week was sunny, warm, with no rain.

We have two more trips planned this year.

1. A spring getaway to Illinois (wedding.)

2. Last week of June - a one week trip to London and Amsterdam.

Cheers,

I

ER 12/15/2017
Now: Side Hustle(r) Extraordinaire
Old 01-15-2019, 08:17 PM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMATERP View Post

We have two more trips planned this year.

2. Last week of June - a one week trip to London and Amsterdam.

Cheers,
I
I would recommend spending at least a week in each city. So much to see, so much to do!
Old 01-15-2019, 08:20 PM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by morriss003 View Post
We are traveling from our home in Hawaii to the US mainland and then to South America.
Houston to Costa Rica, to Peru, to Chile, to Uruguay (7 days with a day trip to Buenos Aires), back to Santiago, Chile where we will live for a month, Peru, Costa Rica, US mainland, home. 63 days total.
If you will be in Peru, find a charter flight over the Nazca lines while you still can. They are amazing!
Old 01-15-2019, 09:25 PM   #140
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by john4512 View Post
That is sad...
Most folks in foreign countries like us visiting, it provides income and a chance for both sides to learn new things about the actual citizens of the country instead of just gov't declarations.