Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-19-2019, 06:00 PM   #161
Full time employment: Posting here.

Same old , New Orleans for Mardi Gras March , Amsterdam ( cheap Af 606.00 RT for August )
Key West in October FF

Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2019, 11:33 PM   #162

I will be doing some solo travel as DW is working, except summer.

Baseball/basketball trips to SEC and Big 12 country in Feb and March. Get some warmer weather.

Ski trip TBA. Get some good snow.

Probably south Florida in April.

Curacao in June/July with DW.

Savannah/Tybee island Aug.

Texas A&M vs Clemson football game at Clemson in September. This will be with guy friends and including DS.

Texas in October visit family and some football.

Family trip to Georgia in November (including trip to Athens for football game)

Christmas in Texas.

Montecfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 12:36 AM   #163
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
We have been thinking of going back to the UK for some time. If the GBP drops a little more and we can get good air we may decide to go for a few weeks. Last time we were in Scotland, many years ago, it rained for three weeks solid in the middle of summer. We want to see it in good weather.

I worked in the UK for a few years. September is the most reliable month for good weather in my experience.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 04:16 AM   #164
Administrator

Just returned from two weeks in Dubai visiting our son, his DW and our 3 year old grandson. . This was our first real exposure to the Middle East. An excellent trip.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 06:58 AM   #165
Recycles dryer sheets

East Coast road trip from home in Florida. Youngest daughter is getting married in PA. as part of the trip. Nice part is that now being retired, I don't have to be on a schedule to return to a j*b. We are also on a dog hiatus after 17 years of pet ownership, so no "pet friendly" hotels to book in advance.
Col. Klink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 08:07 PM   #166

Well, I think Mrs Scrapr has decided on a new Volvo. And that can mean only one thing. A trip to Sweden on Volvo! Going in Friday to finalize and send the request to Gothenburg. She had so much fun on my Volvo Overseas Delivery 2 years ago that she wants her own. I think we are out to May or early June. It all depends on the slots that Volvo allocates for OSD pick ups

We have to figure out where to go from there. Volvo will fly you there & back. Any in between flights are on you. We are tenatively looking at Florence Italy. Our neighbor's girl is doing an overseas study there. We are thinking to meet up with them. Mrs Scrapr knows I want to go back to Paris. But it's her trip and she can decide where she wants to go

Our mantra this time is slow travel. I have already found some Agriturisimos in Florence.
Scrapr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 09:18 PM   #167

Just got back from Ixtapa. Off to Malawi for a couple of weeks in March. England in May.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:03 PM   #168
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Will Drive to FL, spend a week at the timeshare, then hop on a cruise ship for a week and drive back.
We take the drive easy, only doing ~500 miles per day, so not rushed.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:15 PM   #169
Recycles dryer sheets

Eight days in Rome with the family celebrating my longest's college graduation. Another week or so somewhere else in Italy with DH. First time to Rome so I went to the library and got a few travel and conversation books. All tips are welcome from experienced Rome/Italy travelers.
Doribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:17 PM   #170
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
Just got back from Ixtapa. Off to Malawi for a couple of weeks in March. England in May.
I'm planning Malawi for 2020. You must give me the information.
Doribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 06:16 AM   #171

Just decided to go to eastern Europe in May - Poland, Czech, Hungary with a little Austria plus a pre-stop in Amsterdam since we've never been there.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 06:30 AM   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapr View Post
Well, I think Mrs Scrapr has decided on a new Volvo. And that can mean only one thing. A trip to Sweden on Volvo!
I'm green with envy! Our OSD last year was one of our best trips ever. Wouldn't have even known of the possibility without your mention of it here, so many thanks for clueing me in.

That will be a perfect time of year, too. Enjoy!
Old 01-30-2019, 11:20 PM   #173
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doribe View Post
Eight days in Rome with the family celebrating my longest's college graduation. Another week or so somewhere else in Italy with DH. First time to Rome so I went to the library and got a few travel and conversation books. All tips are welcome from experienced Rome/Italy travelers.
It is a very walkable city, we got lost walking from the train station to the coliseum, so we got to experience a lot of streets.
At the coliseum, the lineup was crazy, and while we had read Rick Steve's advice, we couldn't see any way to get to the front of the line.
The line was about 5-7 people wide and wrapped a long distance along the coliseum.
We took a chance and paid a fellow for a tour who was right there, after talking to him and others and seeing a bunch of other potential suckers that had already signed on.

It turned out fine, and the cost was about 20 euros over the actual price of the ticket pp.
Without it, we would not have gotten in for hours..

Next time for that, I will book a tour in advance.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:19 AM   #174
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doribe View Post
There are a few places that are easy train rides from Rome. I believe Orvieto could be a day trip. You might like Assisi, we did and spent 3 days there as I recall. There is a high speed train to Florence which deserves some days visit. From Florence one can do a very nice bus ride to Sienna for a day trip and also to Pisa.

The Rick Steves Italy book would cover this nicely. We prefer a minimum of 3 days in any given location since you burn much of a day just transferring to a new location. The Rome2Rio app is nice for seeing quickly your transportation options on the ground.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 03:57 PM   #175
Dryer sheet aficionado

I will drive to Utah and New Mexico in April and spend 3 weeks sleeping in the back of the pickup and riding the mountain bike. Bliss.......
53anddone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 10:03 AM   #176
Dryer sheet aficionado

Wife and I are headed down to Puerto Vallarta for a week later this month. Our “go-to” beach spots are either Cancun or PV. Visit a couple times a year. This time staying at the Hyatt Ziva in PV. Nice stretch of beach and sunsets to die for. Looking forward to a little alone time with my lovely bride (of 30 years).

Safe and happy travels to all.
1242Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 10:06 AM   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
I worked in the UK for a few years. September is the most reliable month for good weather in my experience.

In my experience, hoping for good weather in the UK is setting oneself up for disappointment. One of my theories as to why they came to control half the world was because everyone wanted to escape the weather.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 10:19 AM   #178
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
In my experience, hoping for good weather in the UK is setting oneself up for disappointment. One of my theories as to why they came to control half the world was because everyone wanted to escape the weather.
And they were searching for some decent food.
Old 02-02-2019, 10:26 AM   #179
Dryer sheet aficionado

I have two more trips coming up.

Rochester NY in May to celebrate our kids university graduation. Have a VRBO set up on one of the finger lakes nearby and a few extends family joining us for a long weekend and mini reunion.

Dear daughter, youngest of 3, will be headed to graduate school for an MS in Nursing this Fall in Baltimore and I’ll be taking a trip to Maryland to help her get settled. Love seeing the kids pursuing and achieving their dreams. In the next 24 months she will become our states first deaf nurse!
1242Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 10:26 AM   #180
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
And they were searching for some decent food.
IHOP
McDonalds
Starbucks
Dominos
Dairy Queen
and
Golden Corral

MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote