Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 02:41 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Our big adventure is another self-contained bicycle trip from Venice to Paris beginning in April. We will also be going to Yellowstone in August for a reunion of summer workers from the late 60s. Then Door County, WI in October.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2019, 03:02 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Yellowstone & Grand Tetons were part of our trip this past September, weather was perfect and the crowds were gone. You'll have a great trip.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:07 PM   #23
Dryer sheet aficionado

leaving next month for 10 weeks of backpacking through myanmar, laos, and vietnam.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:08 PM   #24

2 week African safari glamping.

Looks just like the 12 days we have in the fall in South Luangwa National Park Zambia. A couple of days at the Mfuwa Lodge and 3 different bush camps.

1932316245.jpg
Old 01-08-2019, 03:15 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Road trip Arizona - Illinois though south Texas late March. Would like to do Glacier NP and Banff this summer, but I need to finalize accommodations soon.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:22 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

2.5 weeks in France and Belgium in May (cider tasting in Normandy and farmhouse beers in Belgium). I found cheap tickets on Icelandair so we're doing a 2 day stopover in Iceland on the way.

We also have a shorter trip to Arizona in February to visit family and see get some sunshine.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:04 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

A week in June to mosquito laden, remote Alaska for the annual fishing trip and then a ten day trip to Namibia. My first time to Africa!
Old 01-08-2019, 04:12 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Taking the family to Nova Scotia for the month of June.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:16 PM   #29

10 days in Japan, 4 days riding motorcycles in Az, a week getting oldest son a place to live for summer intern, a week military reunion, 4 days motorcycle riding in UT, Sturgis week, 3-4 weeks ArBnb Hilton head and Florida, 5 day cruise Mexico. Will fill in a few more weeks as things come up.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:33 PM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I looked, and there has not been a new thread on this popular topic for 2019. So I am starting one.

I just booked flight for a Spring trip to Spain and Portugal. The duration will be a bit more than 5 weeks. The time is mid April to mid May.

We have been to Spain before, but this time will visit some new places in addition to going to Portugal and the Basque region, the latter two we have not visited.

Flight to Barcelona is cheapest, so that's our flight to/from destination. Will pick up a car to drive to Andorra, then cross the Pyrenees and visit Toulouse, France. After that, will continue on a counterclockwise direction to San Sebastian, Bilbao, Oviedo, A Coruna, before arriving in Portugal. Cities to visit in Portugal are Porto, Coimbra, and Lisbon.

The return to Barcelona from Lisbon includes stops in Cordoba, Granada, Cartagena, and Castellon. We have been to Seville and Valencia, so will skip these.

Most driving legs are of less than 300 km (190 mi), and the stays at each city range from 2 to 4 nights. So, the driving should not be too bad, even though the total distance will be around 2,000 mi.
Spain and Portugal combined are larger than many people imagine. That's a lot of stops.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:37 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

We're always looking for an airline to take on a new destination, and this year it's Boston to Madrid that is offering cheap flights. Visiting Toledo on a day trip.

We'll take a train down to Granada. Then fly over to Barcelona and take a fast train to Paris a few days later.

We've given up having relatives take care of 7 year old granddaughter, Brynley. We're just taking her with us the day school is out, and she'll be a very well traveled gal. She especially wants to see the Eiffel Tower.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:43 PM   #32
gone traveling

22 days in September-October.
Business-class flights on BA.
Bologna, Venezia, Piran, Ljubljana, Wien.
Trains for us. Except for GoOpti shuttle from Trieste to Piran.
AirBnBs for us. Need the washing machines to pack light.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:59 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
A far cry from our 2010 Botswana accommodation:

"Exit, pursued by a bear."
Or "Enter, pursued by a lion!"
Old 01-08-2019, 05:27 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrinch View Post
Or "Enter, pursued by a lion!"
Naah, the hippos scared them off.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 01-08-2019, 05:27 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

We are taking a 11 day vacation in February that includes a 8 day Caribbean cruise. We spend 3 days in New Orleans before.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:49 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davef View Post
Our big adventure is another self-contained bicycle trip from Venice to Paris beginning in April...
That's some serious biking, around 1,200 km! What's self-contained? Does that mean you pack everything on the bike?

My niece and her husband did a bike trip from Budapest to Berlin a few years ago. It was perhaps 900 km. They took a month for the trip, taking time off-work without pay. We have wanderlust in our DNA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Spain and Portugal combined are larger than many people imagine. That's a lot of stops.
Yes. The Iberian Peninsula is about as large as France. We are not going through the center this time, because we have been to Madrid, Toledo, and Segovia.

I thought about going to Gibraltar, Malaga, and perhaps to Tangier, but would need another week. I decided that the trip would be long enough without these.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 01-08-2019, 05:52 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

I thought about going to Gibraltar, Malaga, and perhaps to Tangier,
If you go to Malaga I know a great hospital!

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 01-08-2019, 06:08 PM   #38
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
We booked a cruise to Alaska for April.. :
Once every 8 years, eh? River rapids @ Denali?
Old 01-08-2019, 06:09 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

We're visiting Oahu, Maui and Hawaii in February. In June we will be cruising from Vancouver to Seward then splitting a week between Denali and Kenai.
Old 01-08-2019, 06:13 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davef View Post
Our big adventure is another self-contained bicycle trip from Venice to Paris beginning in April. We will also be going to Yellowstone in August for a reunion of summer workers from the late 60s. Then Door County, WI in October.
Do you speak Waaascansen?
Closed Thread