Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 09:28 PM   #141
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet from FIRE Planet View Post
Thank you I enjoyed reading about your trip!! Many years ago we had a driver take us to Hana. That way, we got to shut our eyes for some of the Hana Road.
Ha! We did it the opposite way--had a bad rental car and brakes started misbehaving on way back. No cell service and emergency phones on side of road literally told us it wasn't their problem. We made it back with the emergency brake and coasted into the rental car lot screeching the whole way. Fun times...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2019, 01:16 AM   #142
Recycles dryer sheets

About 2 hours ago I just landed in my favorite spot in Hawaii and will be here until April 17th. (I hate winter
Old 01-16-2019, 04:49 AM   #143
Recycles dryer sheets

A trip to Orlando to see family. For some reason it always feels right to visit Orlando. There is a very relaxing vibe.

Need to perk up the savings too. Always feels good to do this!
Old 01-16-2019, 08:52 AM   #144
Recycles dryer sheets

Two couples chartered a 40’ catamaran + skipper to tour islands and coast of Croatia in September. On the way staying a few nights on lake Como and touring Dubrovnik prior to boarding boat.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:11 AM   #145
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimo View Post
About 2 hours ago I just landed in my favorite spot in Hawaii and will be here until April 17th. (I hate winter
Very nice, 3 months in Hawaii. Are you on Oahu? What do you do for 3 months there besides lots of beaches? We've never gone more then 10 days or so.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:34 AM   #146
Recycles dryer sheets

I lived here for 30 years so it is more like coming home. Friends, etc.

Yes, I am on Oahu, after living here this long I know where and what to do so as not to be lumped into the tourist stuff.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:24 AM   #147
Dryer sheet aficionado

We love to travel. This year, we have a week planned in February in Puerto Villarta, Mexico and a 7 night Caribbean cruise in April. We'll schedule a trip to Italy in October and then visit family during the summer in Long Island and Philadelphia.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:45 AM   #148
Full time employment: Posting here.

We only have a few trips planned to see the granddaughter, but this year we plan to be spontaneous, taking a few trips based on airfare sales. And by sales, I mean to places we’ve haven’t been to but always thought we’d like to visit.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:32 PM   #149
Full time employment: Posting here.

About Motorhomes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
And I just learned to call them caravans.

I belive that is the name for what people in the US call RV trailers. RVs wih their own engines and steering wheels are called Motorhomes in the UK. Or Camper Vans. Somewhat depending on size but no fixed rules here.

But when you leave the UK it gets more interesting!

Bobil is the Norwegian name - translates to "livable car". Husbil in Sweden or "house car". The Danes use Autocamper.

And in Germany they have several overlapping words. Reisemobil or "travel car". Wohnmobil or "livable car". And occasionally they use Motorhome.
In France they have their own English sounding name - Camping Car.

So great variety! But the most confusing for me is the Americans calling everything an RV.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:24 AM   #150
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by morriss003 View Post
If you can, take the train to Segovia (30min). From the station, take a taxi to the Segovia Alcazar. It's like a Disney castle. We liked it much more than the Toledo Alcazar.
We did that when we were in Barcelona some years ago, except that we walked from Segovia train station to the Castle.

It's less than 2 miles one way, and we looked at the town and its people as we walked. On the way back, took a detour to the town center to see the church and have roast suckling pig for a late lunch before walking back to the train staton.

Wonderful one-day trip and still had the evening to go look for dinner in Barcelona.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 01-18-2019, 07:35 AM   #151
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet from FIRE Planet View Post
Thank you I enjoyed reading about your trip!! Many years ago we had a driver take us to Hana. That way, we got to shut our eyes for some of the Hana Road.
Our 1st trip to Maui many years ago, I attempted to drive to Hana, but turned back because we ran out of time and would not make it back before dark.

A few years ago, in the 2nd visit, I drove all the way, and saw that the road had been greatly improved although still narrow in spots. When I got to Hana, I decided to continue to go around the island to get back instead of backtracking. The road indeed got worse, but nothing really serious as I drove slowly to navigate pot holes. The reward for it was the stop at Kipahulu, part of the same National Park as the Haupa‘Akea Peak but on the ocean edge. Of course, one could get to Kipahulu going the other way from Kahului too.

Ah, this brings back wonderful memories.

PS. Shops used to sell T-shirts that declared "Hana or Bust". They stopped selling it as the drive was no longer a big deal.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 01-18-2019, 10:26 AM   #152
Dryer sheet wannabe

Been on a Caribbean cruise. Nice on the ship, but the port stops were nothing but trying to sell you something, St Thomas must have 100 Jewelry stores and nothing much else. Went to the top of the island in a jalopy ford bus, to a great view and shop to sell you more trinkets. Prayed we would make it back down the hill. Told the owner that his U joints were failing and were the worst I ever heard, He said that he was going to repair them in the off season but did not get to it. We were told to not venture out of the tourist areas or get into cabs that will take you out of the area and rob and dump you on the side of the road. Not My idea of a great vacation. Waiting along side the Road in Aruba in the 100 degree heat Trying to flag a cab is not fun either. Love the USA and plan to see more of it now that I have time. D.C. to see what I missed in 2010 and Back to the 50's Car show in St. Paul Mn in June. Happy and safe travels to everyone.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:11 AM   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
PS. Shops used to sell T-shirts that declared "Hana or Bust". They stopped selling it as the drive was no longer a big deal.
In July 2017, DW and I returned to the islands and Maui for the 6th or 7th time, we always heard about the road to Hana. So we took the ride out, stopped at various falls, hiked a few different trails and spent the night in Hana. We spent some time at beaches and went to the Sacred pools. All very pretty but not out of the ordinary. So I guess the "drive" was the thrill in the past, but in a modern vehicle with r & p steering, assistance, and better roads not so much now.

I'd love to surprise the missus and go this summer, but hope to return next year for sure.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:00 PM   #154
Recycles dryer sheets

Since I'm still a w*rking stiff:

Taking the wife and daughter to Chicago February 15th -20th for their annual valentines weekend of shopping and staying on Michigan Avenue.
We'll have our yearly trip to the beach in August. NSB, Florida.
Then our mountain trip in the fall, Asheville.

Can't wait for more free time and luxury to do some extended trips. I could spend the rest of my days only exploring the U.S.

Enjoy your travels everyone.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:37 PM   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassius King View Post
Since I'm still a w*rking stiff:

Taking the wife and daughter to Chicago February 15th -20th for their annual valentines weekend of shopping and staying on Michigan Avenue.
We'll have our yearly trip to the beach in August. NSB, Florida.
Then our mountain trip in the fall, Asheville.

Can't wait for more free time and luxury to do some extended trips. I could spend the rest of my days only exploring the U.S.

Enjoy your travels everyone.
Your time will come, Grasshopper! I spent 35 years in the bowels of Mother Earth, all times of the day, all times of the year! DW spent 35 years teaching the "Youtes" in various jungles in PA and WV.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:31 PM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPauley View Post
Been on a Caribbean cruise. Nice on the ship, but the port stops were nothing but trying to sell you something, St Thomas must have 100 Jewelry stores and nothing much else. Went to the top of the island in a jalopy ford bus, to a great view and shop to sell you more trinkets. Prayed we would make it back down the hill. Told the owner that his U joints were failing and were the worst I ever heard, He said that he was going to repair them in the off season but did not get to it. We were told to not venture out of the tourist areas or get into cabs that will take you out of the area and rob and dump you on the side of the road. Not My idea of a great vacation. Waiting along side the Road in Aruba in the 100 degree heat Trying to flag a cab is not fun either. Love the USA and plan to see more of it now that I have time. D.C. to see what I missed in 2010 and Back to the 50's Car show in St. Paul Mn in June. Happy and safe travels to everyone.

So sad you saw such a limited amount of St. Thomas and got a bad impression. We’ve stayed on St. Thomas many times, including a 3 month retirement celebration trip, and to us it is paradise. We found it to be quite safe with stunningly beautiful beaches, nice hikes, and wonderful people. YMMV
Old 01-19-2019, 08:50 AM   #157
Confused about dryer sheets

We are lucky enough to have three great trips planned for 2019. March is Fiji, mostly for diving, but hopping around a few smaller islands and a home stay to get to meet more people a bit more. Then Iceland in late June with some friends (I’ll be having one of those “round number” birthdays then) renting a car and traveling around the island for hiking, fly fishing and maybe a dive if we get our dry suit certification by the. Finally, in September heading to Australia to run a half marathon over the Sydney bridge with my running buddy, several cities, Uluru, then diving on the Great Barrier Reef on a live-aboard for five days. Of course, Australia is so big that you can’t do/see everything on one or even several trips. Mixed in the year will be several trips to see the kids in other states and maybe a trip over to Vegas to finance all this (Ha!).
Old 01-19-2019, 11:10 AM   #158
Give me a forum ...

We have been thinking of going back to the UK for some time. If the GBP drops a little more and we can get good air we may decide to go for a few weeks. Last time we were in Scotland, many years ago, it rained for three weeks solid in the middle of summer. We want to see it in good weather.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:56 PM   #159
Recycles dryer sheets

Another w*rking stiff here:

- 5 days in Destin with the DW
- 5 days on Lake Michigan with the kids and in-laws
- Long weekend solo in Santa Barbara

...the end!

The time for satisfying our wanderlust will come one day soon. In the meantime, reading about the travel plans here is giving me some wonderful ideas!
Old 01-19-2019, 05:18 PM   #160
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREarly View Post
A trip to Orlando to see family. For some reason it always feels right to visit Orlando. There is a very relaxing vibe.

Need to perk up the savings too. Always feels good to do this!
I have a friend whose husband is a TSA employee. Not a very happy camper working for free. Also lets say a prayer that the planes are being inspected the way it should be. The federal inspectors are working for free also.
Closed Thread