Any Travel Plans for 2020?

I have been alternating between long road trips through Europe and long RV treks through North America. This year is the turn to do RV. However, with my MIL declining health, I don't see how my wife can leave her.

I still do some RV trip planning to kill time, just looking for things to do at stops like Kansas City, Wichita, Des Moines, etc... :) I like to see how people live in different places, and have always found something interesting, same as I did in random nooks and crannies of Europe.

I just made my reservations for the Telluride Bluegrass Festival in June and am excited about the lineup. Was fortunate to find a hotel room in Telluride. It will be incredibly crowded but worth it for the music.

Just booked a celebrity cruise 13 days from Tokyo to Vancouver B.C. on May 10th. Anybody want to go? Price was $1,685.70 including prepaid gratuities, premium drinks, $300 onboard credit, and free internet.
Anybody have ideas on what to do in Japan pre-cruise? Never been before.
Wow, that sounds like a great price, but what would you be doing during those 13 days? As there's nothing but water between these two places? Or you have many stops heading north along the way somehow? Russia and Alaska maybe?

Last edited:
Heading to Southern Florida for a week in March to see BIL/SIL in DelRay, and some time on the beach.

Then in December, we will be heading back to Sandals South Coast Jamaica SSC for another week (3rd time).

Going to Vegas in 3 weeks to see Aerosmith, and doing a hiking excursion also. Then in May, going to Missouri to bike ride on the Katy trail. Just the beginning, have to plan the rest around family plans.

Going to Vegas in 3 weeks to see Aerosmith, and doing a hiking excursion also. Then in May, going to Missouri to bike ride on the Katy trail. Just the beginning, have to plan the rest around family plans.
I was in Vegas in October and Aerosmith was going to be there on the same day in November, but I got excited because I read the dates wrong. I saw them back in 2002 or 2003 at Shoreline in Mountain View and enjoyed their performance immensely. I hope they're still as good. Report back if you can. Thanks!

I was in Vegas in October and Aerosmith was going to be there on the same day in November, but I got excited because I read the dates wrong. I saw them back in 2002 or 2003 at Shoreline in Mountain View and enjoyed their performance immensely. I hope they're still as good. Report back if you can. Thanks!

I will report back. I guess i am most worried about Stevens voice. But should be good anyway. Joe Perry should still be able to play!

I will report back. I guess i am most worried about Stevens voice. But should be good anyway. Joe Perry should still be able to play!
Yep, thanks! Yes, I remember that the instrumentals were just bang-on, so tight. It's amazing that Steven Tyler can still sing high notes at all while someone like Elton John sounds like a totally different person from when he was younger, with a much rounder voice with all high notes rearranged.

I’m not much of a traveler really but am headed to Northern Ireland this summer. I found it painful to research flights to Belfast (it seemed to require lots of clicking just to find out flight times connections etc.). Finally navigated all that, marked out flights that require a 22 hour layover in London and settled on reasonable accommodations with seat selection (Business class and above is outside the budget but don’t want to be packed like sardine either).

I kept being surprised by charges for all the add-ons - Oh, would you like to choose seat for your flight? Bring a suitcase? - uh, sure. It felt a little bit like going to buy a car and then being asked would you like a steering wheel? some tires? As you can see I’m not an experienced traveler.

But I’m really looking forward to the trip (A retreat done in the style of John O’Donohue, the Irish priest and poet)!

I kept being surprised by charges for all the add-ons - Oh, would you like to choose seat for your flight? Bring a suitcase? - uh, sure. It felt a little bit like going to buy a car and then being asked would you like a steering wheel? some tires? As you can see I’m not an experienced traveler.

Even those of us who perhaps qualify as 'semi-experienced' get a little po'd by all this.

Excited to be heading to Cancun next Sunday for a week of rest and relaxation with my younger brother. We are headed to the newly opened adults only side of the Barcelo Resort at Riviera Maya. Wife and I have stayed at the older part of this resort a few times and really enjoyed our stay.

This is brothers first trip out of the country in a few decades and looking forward to sharing good times under the warm carribean sunshine.

Thinking about a trip to Provence in June for about two weeks. Centering around Avignon and the Luberon or Aix-en-Provence but with day trips around. Would welcome suggestions from anyone who has done this. DW and I are easygoing and like to see lots, eat well, and experience the local scene. Any website/accommodation/touring recommendations welcome.

Thinking about a trip to Provence in June for about two weeks. Centering around Avignon and the Luberon or Aix-en-Provence but with day trips around. Would welcome suggestions from anyone who has done this. DW and I are easygoing and like to see lots, eat well, and experience the local scene. Any website/accommodation/touring recommendations welcome.

Visited about 5 years ago. I based in Avignon but mostly visited towns to the west of it, like Nimes and Arles. I did briefly visit Gordes and Rousillon one day.

But going again in June, this time with Corsica, Nice, then driving west to spend a few days in Gordes and then Aix, day trips from those areas.

I haven't fully plotted an itinerary yet but you can google 1-week or 2 week itinerary in xxx and usually get good ideas.

I just pinned a lot of places I would visit, saved some links for day trips, like a boat tour of the calanches from Cassis. Mostly driven by looking for photogenic places.

A combo here.....

a) What I did today was have the stent removed after my latest kidney stone blasting.

then

b) We placed a reserve on our favorite ship, (same one we've met and re-met, and sometimes re-re-met, other aficionados), the Pullmantur Horizon, (we're already scheduled to take two back-to backs on her this Fall), for March 2021...from Dubai to Athens.

https://www.pullmanturcruiseline.com/cruise_ship/Horizon.cfm

The clock is ticking and we want to enjoy what we can while we can.

Two years ago, we rented an Airbnb in L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue, and used it as a base to make day trips by car to Gordes, Roussilon, Cavaillon, and Les Baux-de-Provence, and a few other places. We had been to Avignon in an earlier trip, so skipped it this time.

It was a very enjoyable time, and we definitely will come back. By the way, if you visit Les Baux-de-Provence, don't miss Carrières de Lumières, a light art show in a cavernous limestone quarry.

It is looking like seven or eight weeks in Morocco ,Spain, and perhaps Portugal this Sept/October. Morocco has been on the list for a few years. Time to knock it off so to speak.

We live overseas, so it makes it a little easier to get around Europe and other places without those long haul flights from the US. Our 2020 travel schedule looks like this:

• We are going to Maldives in April for a week for our 20th anniversary.
  • Head back to the states in either Aug or Sept for 6 weeks to visit family in CA, NV and NC.
  • Make a quick 1 week trip to a time share we have in Kauai, that we haven't been to since 2012. (Chalk that up as our worst "investment" ever). :facepalm:
  • This Dec, we are planning on Prague for 5 days. Christmas markets are so fun, and really just start your holiday off right.

That's about it for 2020 since we aren't "retired" yet. But when that happens, (hopefully very soon) it's all about travel for us. It's what we both enjoy and have been planning for all these years. We just want to see the world and go while we are younger and can still do all the fun stuff. :dance:

Excited to be heading to Cancun next Sunday for a week of rest and relaxation with my younger brother. We are headed to the newly opened adults only side of the Barcelo Resort at Riviera Maya. Wife and I have stayed at the older part of this resort a few times and really enjoyed our stay.

We just came back from the Iberostar Paraiso Lindo. Have gone there many times. Have also done Barcelo for the previous 2 New Years. Love Barcelo’s layout...so much is right by the ocean. Also love the calmness of the beach and swimming with the turtles! We are going back to Mexico for March Break and sure debated about the new Barcelo. The oceanfront premium suites have an amazing view from what I have seen. Enjoy!

Booked a couple of trips to places my DW and I have never been to. One trip in April to China for 10 days. Another trip to S America-- Buenos Aires, Rio for a week. They are both package tours. The S Amer trip only gets us flight and hotel, so we have the freedom to explore the two cities on our own. The trip to china includes flight, hotel, guide and driver. We also added the great wall, forbidden place and a few other excursions.

Ski trip to Vail for 5 days of skiing with a friends--starting this week!

Enjoying the freedom to travel together now that our youngest children are in high school.

Booked a couple of trips to places my DW and I have never been to. One trip in April to China for 10 days. Another trip to S America-- Buenos Aires, Rio for a week. They are both package tours. The S Amer trip only gets us flight and hotel, so we have the freedom to explore the two cities on our own. The trip to china includes flight, hotel, guide and driver. We also added the great wall, forbidden place and a few other excursions.

Ski trip to Vail for 5 days of skiing with a friends--starting this week!

Enjoying the freedom to travel together now that our youngest children are in high school.

Hope you have cancellation insurance for the China trip. In case the outbreak still exists.

Portugal is an amazing country. Porto was my favorite place to visit, lot's of history on both sides of the river.

Back
Top Bottom