Any WWOOFers out there?

slouch

Recycles dryer sheets
While reading an interview of a 71 year old retired shop teacher on the getrichslowly blog, I came across "WWOOF" for the first time; WWOOF - World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms, is a program where people volunteer to work on a farm for a few weeks in exchange for room and board. This seems like an interesting way for true LBYMers who enjoy working outdoors to visit new areas and connect with the locals.

WWOOF - World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms
WWOOF Hawaii - Willing Workers on Organic Farms

Is anyone on ER also a WWOOFer? :tongue:

My daughter and her friend did that last year in New Zealand. As I understand it, the opportunities are for the young set, not for us oldsters. It was an interesting experience for my daughter who worked at a vineyard in the field doing various tasks for nine hours a day alongside itinerant workers from SE Asia who didn't speak English. A few of the other workers were also young WOOFERS but mostly immigrant labor. She said it was the HARDEST work she had ever done and they just went home and collapsed every day.

There's other work to be had and they found jobs on other farms on Internet sites. On one job she had to feed baby goats. That was it. She was in heaven on that job!

Clark Howard has a mention: 5 Cheap Vacation Ideas | www.clarkhoward.com

I looked at a few examples and they did seem to be many hours of manual labor! It would be cool to find a few more instances of folks who have experienced this kind of thing,

Yeah I don't know what I was thinking when I posted this question 4-5 years ago. Who wants to work on their vacation? :facepalm:

Perhaps if they had one where they want me to sit on the porch, sample the wine, and take nice photos of the sunsets I would do that.

The other options sound like w*rk.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom