Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-19-2019, 09:17 AM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I took my kids to zoos yearly when little. I understand a dangerous animal needs to be killed and that the locals might not understand. That’s one reason they are sawing off the tusks of Rhinos to protect them. The 2 poachers that got eaten were professionals.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2019, 10:08 AM   #102
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Also, some nonprofit zoos, like the National Zoo in DC and the Bronx Zoo in NYC have huge habitats that are not as stressful on the animals, and they not only educate, they also do rescue and preservation as part of their mission. Ideally they wouldn't exist either, but IMO there's a world difference between those and for-profit roadside "zoos" where everything is in a cage just barely big enough for the animal to survive.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:21 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
How long a flight is it?
Don't know about that one but we've done the ATL to Johannesberg, ~16 hours, several times. Would not do again, prefer to stop in Amsterdam, adjust to time, and then go south. 16 hours is miserable, especially during hurricane season as you get the turbulence crossing the Atlantic equator. Unless you like turbulence.
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 11:49 AM   #104

You don't say. Were Zoo's or the concept of "zoo" always a negative thing, or is there anything positive...with the education the staff and students receive on perhaps an animal that might have deceased in the wild?

I know when I was travelling in NZ I went to an endangered Penguin site. The penguins they had in the "zoo" or observational area were "supposedly" likely to be killed or die outside of the care these folks were offering as rehabilitation. I guess it was a wildlife rehabilitation place, not a zoo...probably a difference.
Old 04-19-2019, 02:08 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
You don't say. Were Zoo's or the concept of "zoo" always a negative thing, or is there anything positive...with the education the staff and students receive on perhaps an animal that might have deceased in the wild?
I would agree, depending on the animal. Beluga whales, giraffes, elephants and certain large cats, I just cannot agree. Disney's animal kingdom is humane. Hundreds and hundreds of acres for the animals to roam. They at least have some semblance of the wild. I saw a black panther in a zoo and it was circling over and over in a small cage. I'd rather die.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:54 PM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Yes, I have been to South Africa (Jo-burg). I will not go again and I do not recommend it to anyone else.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:17 PM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Yes, I have been to South Africa (Jo-burg). I will not go again and I do not recommend it to anyone else.
Can you elaborate, as in were you on a cruise, or a vacation, or sent to work there ?

How long were you there and what was it that you didn't like ?
Old 05-10-2019, 05:15 AM   #108
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post

We just got back from a safari and spent a total of 3 nights in Johannesburg. People were friendly and tours we took were great.

You could go to NYC or Chicago and have a bad experience also.
DektolMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:44 AM   #109
Give me a forum ...

We only spent a night in J'burg. We flew in, stayed at a hotel not far from the airport. Got picked up in the AM for our Kruger safari (it was wonderful). Came back for a night, flew to Vic. Falls, then on to Chobe etc. It was a great experience.

On the way back we flew to Port Elizabeth and picked up a rental car. Spent time touring (it was beautiful), staying in small B&B's. Dropped the car off in Cape Town and spent a few days there prior to flying to Rome.

It was one of our best trips. We plan to go back to Africa.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:52 AM   #110
Give me a forum ...

From what I've heard, Jozi is getting worse by the day.

In 1983 my late wife & I walked down to a Zulu witch doctor's store, low ceiling, herbs and dead animals abounded.

Left, onto a busy street, noticed we were the only whites in sight....we didn't care, nor did anyone else. Today? I don't think so.

(Last time I was there, 2010, it was just an overnighter en route to Botswana, and we basically went from the airport to the hotel to the airport.)

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 10:25 AM   #111
Give me a forum ...

We did not even consider spending time in J'burg. Our flight times/schedule did not give us the opportunity.

There were times when touring by car that we could have been at home in Alberta because some geography was so similar. We came over a hill and came across a combining crew. Five John Deere combines, some swathering gear, and associated haulers. For a moment we thought we had been transported home.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote