Anyone been to Tasmania

brett

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
We will be in Australia for a month this winter. On a lark, on recommendation of friends who live in Oz, and in response to a domestic airfare sale, we signed up to go for eight days.

Has anyone been? We fly into Hobart and out of Launceston.

YW was in Hobart last week and loved it (Australia as well). She was hopping on a plane this morning to head back to Dubai for a little partying.

I bicycled from Hobart in the south to Devonport on the north coast of Tasmania. The landscape is quite pretty. Tasmania is wetter and therefore greener than most of mainland Australia. It is also more mountainous. I saw more animals in the wild in Tasmania than on the mainland. I nearly stepped on a snake while I was hiking in Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park in the center of Tasmania. BTW, there are only 3 species of snakes in Tasmania and all 3 are venomous.

We rented a condo for a month in Bellerive, just over the Tasman Bridge from Hobart. Got around on buses and day trips to some of the tourist spots. We had a great time.

I spent a week in Tasmania several years ago, loved it. We stayed along the coast and at Cradle Mountain. We saw many animals. We went on a night trip and saw Tasmanian devils, they are small but have a blood curdling yell (not sure if you can still see them because they have been dying off from some disease). We also saw a platypus and many kinds of small kangaroos. A real treat was the fairy penguins. Some locals on the coast told us where to go at dark to see the fairy penguins return from the sea to their nests. We sat on a picnic table and just as it got dark we were over run by tiny penguins rushing out of the ocean to get to their nests. Some would go into the wrong nest and all heck would break loose. It went on about an hour, one of the most interesting animal encounters I have ever experienced.

I also like the fact that Tasmania seemed to be untouched by the hustle and bustle of modern life, it seemed like a step in back in time.

I would wholeheartedly recommend a trip there.

We haven’t been yet, but have been researching Tasmania. It sounds amazing. In addition to hiking and seeing animals, there is a lot of natural beauty as well as food and wine tasting.

Back
Top Bottom