ANyone been to the Alhambra

donheff

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
DW and I are going on a bike tour in Spain next week. The tour ends in Granada where I have reserved tickets for an afternoon visit to the Alhambra. I have seen film documentaries about the Alhambra and know it is not to be missed. But I don't know whether it is worth reserving a night-time ticket to the Nasrid Palaces. We are only in Granada for a day so it would mean visiting during the afternoon and then returning the same night. Has anyone here gone? Is the night visit spectacular? Better to spend the evening arount town?

Lucky you for it is a magical place - def. top 10 in my world travels - and one of the most beautiful & historic monuments in Europe. I was overcome by the architecture and interiors as I strolled from room to room....simply astonishing! I beg you not to miss the tour. Afterwards, I stood, transfixed by the experience, in the beautiful gardens, and was approached by a man who turned out to be a Swedish surgeon on holiday. We toured the cobbled streets of the charming town - fell in love and voila' - he became my fiance' four months later...alas, former fiance' now, as Europe is no place for a cowgirl!!! sigh.....

I suggest that you buy the book, South from Granada, by the English writer, Gerald Brenan, written in 1919 when he toured and lived in the area. Try Amazon for a used copy.

Oh how I wish I could join the two of you!

Yes - is an awesome place - get your tickets ahead of time on-line - that way you don't wait - I did not go at night as I really wanted to see the architecture - the place is sprawling - much larger than I anticipated. In fact, we had flown to Jerez and driven to Granada from Seville. We then drove through the Alpujaras south to the coast and then drove along the coast back up through Andalucia to Seville - we stopped at a roadside vendor in the Alpujaras and bought the nuts with honey and the best olive oil I've ever had - it was drinkable.

In any case, the Alhambra did not disappoint - I had wanted to go there since high school Spanish class. Awesome place - considered an architectural wonder. The rooms with the tiles and the three dimensional texture on the walls and ceilings were amazing --- and then the gardens with the fountains - loved it. Also, the history - it was a Moorish palace (Islamic) and when King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella came to power, they took it as a palace of theirs.

Interesting side note and trip if you can - the cathedral in Seville has some of the most amazing gold and silver statues and 'chapels' I've seen. It also has a 'statue' of Christopher Columbus's coffin being carried by acolytes and is in homage to the riches he brought Spain (even though he's originally Genoese!) from the sponsorship of Ferdinand and Isabella - weird thing - I had been in Ecuador and gone to their cultural museum (which had a lot of gold adornment for the indigenous people) and they had complained that all of their gold and silver had been spirited off to Spain......I was a bit skeptical as there was quite a bit of gold in that museum...when I went to that cathedral in Seville, however, I had a little more respect for the Ecuadoran's claims.

In any case - wonderful history, beautiful architecture, beautiful scenery and awesome food - what's not to like:confused:? As Nike says - DO IT :)

Enjoy - Vaya don Dios.

Last edited:
My apologies Don, I never answered your question re: night visit. In my opinion, the tour is better during the day, as this time of year it won't be blistering hot.
AND
the" spacial" sense of the architecture, mosaics, gardens is optimal during the daylight hours

spend the evening in an intimate restaurant recapping the day with a glass of wine and a local specialty..... I'm sooooooooo envious!

Years ago, when I was a senior on high school.

I want to go back.

Hell, I want to live there ....

ta,
mews

Thanks for teh advice. I have my afternoon tickets reserved. I will skip the night visit and hit some bars and tapas instead.

I will echo others here in saying that the Alhambra is not to be missed. Just breathtakingly awesome! I read "Tales of the Alhambra" while enroute and it made the experience better. Definately see it in the daytime hours.

Don - It's probably too late, but one of my favorite places to stay on the face of the Earth is the Parador which is actually in the Alhambra. Take me with you and I'll fix your flats and true your wheels!

Stay Cheap!
-Jeff Yeager

Don - It's probably too late, but one of my favorite places to stay on the face of the Earth is the Parador which is actually in the Alhambra. Take me with you and I'll fix your flats and true your wheels!

Stay Cheap!
-Jeff Yeager
VBT handles the hotels and the flats so I am covered on both. If past performance is a guide, the hotels on the bike portion will likely be great. The last night hotel in Grenada will probably be nice but not great.

Ultimate Cheap I stayed in the parador at the Alhambra that you spoke of. The view was amazing!

Back
Top Bottom