Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone cruised in Russia?
Old 06-26-2011, 09:45 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Anyone cruised in Russia?

We're going on a 12 day Moscow to St. Petersburg river cruise in a few weeks. Has anyone else done one of these? Any recommendations for attire during 1) shore excursions; 2) evening meals? Any other comments/insights welcomed.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2011, 11:20 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

My mother did this many years ago. Her observation was that they seemed to stop at every town along the river with a church, no matter how small or large. And that many were under repair to the extent no one was allowed to enter or were closed for some reason. She was not impressed with the tour operators or the sites they selected.

The food was OK, not great. She wore comfortable shoes & cloths, since there was a lot of bus travel.

Old 06-26-2011, 02:17 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
We're going on a 12 day Moscow to St. Petersburg river cruise in a few weeks. Has anyone else done one of these? Any recommendations for attire during 1) shore excursions; 2) evening meals? Any other comments/insights welcomed.
Do you have to obtain ONI (or whatever we're calling it now) permission before going behind the Iron Curtain?

I'm always a tad paranoid about my name being on some Cold Warrior list.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Do you have to obtain ONI (or whatever we're calling it now) permission before going behind the Iron Curtain?

I'm always a tad paranoid about my name being on some Cold Warrior list.
No, I didn't need their permission because I'm well outside the time frame when that was required. And, they ain't commie Soviets any more; they're our capitalist Russian friends, so no more Iron Curtain.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:03 PM   #5
gone traveling

We had a 2-day stopover in St. Pete's last year while we on our Baltic Cruise.

It may be that since we were on a cruise ship, the rules were different, but we could not get through passport control without having a valid on-shore tour ticket (from the ship) or used an authorized private shore (pre-approved) tour guide.

You could not just get off the ship and "walk around town" on your own.

If you are on an internal river cruise, the rules may be different outside the "big cities", but you should have that info from your tour company or travel agent. BTW, a separate visa was not required, but of course a valid passport was.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:11 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
We had a 2-day stopover in St. Pete's last year while we on our Baltic Cruise.

It may be that since we were on a cruise ship, the rules were different, but we could not get through passport control without having a valid on-shore tour ticket (from the ship) or used an authorized private shore (pre-approved) tour guide.

You could not just get off the ship and "walk around town" on your own.
The international cruise ship passangers are the ONLY exception for Russian Federation visa requirements. I would guess that since the OP will be originating the cruise within Russia, they will be required to have a visa prior to entering Russia and starting the cruise. With a Russian visa there should not be any restrictions for freely roaming in the port cities.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainiac View Post
The international cruise ship passangers are the ONLY exception for Russian Federation visa requirements. I would guess that since the OP will be originating the cruise within Russia, they will be required to have a visa prior to entering Russia and starting the cruise. With a Russian visa there should not be any restrictions for freely roaming in the port cities.
Yes; that is the case. We had to get visas (which are not cheap.) And they ask a lot of questions, particularly about any military service you may have had.