Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-14-2009, 10:07 PM   #101
Recycles dryer sheets

For those looking for a minimalist trailer, I suggest looking at the teardrop units. Google on that term. Think of the shape of half a drop of water, on wheels. Should pull easily behind the smallest of cars. It doesn't work for me, at 6' 8" tall, but for most folks, it might.

However, I'm still of the opinion that a locking door, heat/AC, hot water, clean sheets, TV, wireless internet connection and a comfortable bed are one of the heights of Western Civilization.

DW just made me promise that, on my overnight motor-bike trips, I have to stay in mid-price places, and avoid the mom-and-pop motels (unless there's nothing else). I carry a hammock for mid-day siestas, but don't plan to camp or cook ever again.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2009, 07:12 AM   #102
Full time employment: Posting here.

My buddy just bought a T&B teardrop trailer and they love it,has air conditioning, stove,sink and fridge and queen size bed that somehow folds up into 2 bench seats and a table,for weekend gettaways its perfect,would get a little tight for longer trips.
http://www.roamingtimes.com/teardrop...ers/index.aspx

Old 07-15-2009, 09:45 PM   #103
Recycles dryer sheets

Some really bad RVs

Came across this on another board. There are good RVs and then there are ...

http://www.fototime.com/inv/90C1A14D8E14D77

Old 07-18-2009, 06:49 AM   #104
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have read that living in an RV offers no privacy. Is it because of the RV or because of the RV campgrounds?
Old 07-18-2009, 09:06 AM   #105
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

You need to read a wider range of source material.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:02 AM   #106
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

One thing I'd want in an RV, which you can't get in a trailer: the ability to sleep in the back while someone else is driving.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:27 AM   #107
Administrator

For people like me, roughing it on a cross-country drive is staying on the second floor of a nice motel with no elevator, and eating at Cracker Barrel!

Just joking, couldn't help it!!! I plead no coffee yet and still early on Saturday morning.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:47 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
For people like me, roughing it on a cross-country drive is staying on the second floor of a nice motel with no elevator, and eating at Cracker Barrel!
I second that.

A bit of cost comparison might be of interest here. During the summer of 2007 We made a four month amble from Austin to Vancouver and back. Our plan was to stay in cheapest places that were also safe and clean. We didn't work at it too hard, usually spent less than 30 minutes looking for the next hotel or motel, and mostly going by the AAA guide. Except for a week on Holland America's Zaandam and another week condo sitting in Oakland, we averaged about $110/day and I don't see how we could have done it much cheaper. (Lodging only, food not included.) If anything, we erred on the cheap side, but prices are high in desirable locations like national parks and cities like Vancouver. The best values were in 1950s vintage motels on route 66. Some of them were charming and well-maintained.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:23 AM   #109
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndependentlyPoor View Post
I second that.

A bit of cost comparison might be of interest here. During the summer of 2007 We made a four month amble from Austin to Vancouver and back. Our plan was to stay in cheapest places that were also safe and clean. We didn't work at it too hard, usually spent less than 30 minutes looking for the next hotel or motel, and mostly going by the AAA guide. Except for a week on Holland America's Zaandam and another week condo sitting in Oakland, we averaged about $110/day and I don't see how we could have done it much cheaper. (Lodging only, food not included.) If anything, we erred on the cheap side, but prices are high in desirable locations like national parks and cities like Vancouver. The best values were in 1950s vintage motels on route 66. Some of them were charming and well-maintained.
If you aren't going to desirable locations like national parks and big cities, rates for a nice motel room can be quite a bit less, too.

I love being able to just spontaneously decide it is time to find a motel, or not. I suspect that with an RV you have to make plans ahead of time or it could be getting dark with no RV park in sight. But then, I can see that having one's *stuff* in the RV would make it seem more home like. I like to eat out and not cook when we travel.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 07-18-2009, 10:58 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
One thing I'd want in an RV, which you can't get in a trailer: the ability to sleep in the back while someone else is driving.
I wouldn't mind roughing it like you folks on your recent trip...but if I demanded we do that, I'd probably be in need of a new wife....

...problem with the above is that I doubt very seriously if my DW will drive our (eventual) RV. That will limit our miles per day, but that's ok, we'll be FiREd by then.

R
Old 07-19-2009, 10:46 AM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You need to read a wider range of source material.
I have looked at the construction videos at the Keystone site, and as good as they looked for an RV, the walls are very thin compared to residential construction, so if you are parked 20 ft. from 4 other RVs, I guess it's comparable to living in an wood and plaster apartment. It may be a bit too much for people who are used to houses in the suburb.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:35 PM   #112
Full time employment: Posting here.

I covet those teardrop campers man, coolest thing ever.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:52 PM   #113
Give me a forum ...

Do you mean the older T@B? The new R-Pod is more practical. The latter is my top choice. The Trailmanor, though at a cost of twice as high, is also really nice in that it folds down and can fit in a normal garage.

T@B: The T@B Story

R-Pod Ultra Lite travel trailer by Forest River review - Roaming Times
Old 07-25-2009, 09:54 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
I have looked at the construction videos at the Keystone site, and as good as they looked for an RV, the walls are very thin compared to residential construction, so if you are parked 20 ft. from 4 other RVs, I guess it's comparable to living in an wood and plaster apartment. It may be a bit too much for people who are used to houses in the suburb.
True. Residential construction standards for RV walls would result in weights beyond reasonable limits. Although I've rarely had a problem with noisy neighbors, RVing probably isn't for those who require the quiet solitude of a suburban home or, like W2R, have a "thing" about RV septic systems.

Luckily there are lots of well insulated and well plumbed hotel rooms available for you guys.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:58 PM   #115
Administrator

Quote:
True. Residential construction standards for RV walls would result in weights beyond reasonable limits. Although I've rarely had a problem with noisy neighbors, RVing probably isn't for those who require the quiet solitude of a suburban home or, like W2R, have a "thing" about RV septic systems.

Luckily there are lots of well insulated and well plumbed hotel rooms available for you guys.
Yes! Give me a quiet motel room with not only plumbing but also nice clean sheets, wi-fi, and free continental breakfast and I am a very happy camper.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 07-25-2009, 10:01 PM   #116

Don't shine a UV light on the bedding...

Old 07-25-2009, 10:03 PM   #117
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Although I've rarely had a problem with noisy neighbors, RVing probably isn't for those who require the quiet solitude of a suburban home ...
I will admit that if I have to restrict myself to RV campgrounds, the whole concept loses a significant attractiveness for me. I have been to a few RV forums, but the postings are few, and the writing boring.

I have been reading blogs of boondockers - there are some interesting ones out there - and live vicariously through them. RV'ers, please start a thread to share your drycamping experience.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:46 PM   #118

We are in the midst of trying to decide trailer or RV, if it is a trailer, is it a regular or a trail manor, if it is an RV, do we keep it to 30ft so we can go to our favorite dry camp areas and state campgrounds (with 30ft limits), or do we go bigger for the big cross country trips we want to do and get a small trailer as well for the state park type places, and do we go class A or class C (but do we want to waste the money on having 2 units??).

I really want something nice, as does DW, but our current thinking is MAYBE it would be better to start with a small-to-medium sized trailer with the largest tank we can find, just to make sure we'll really enjoy it...and just pull it with the Tundra. We don't want to spend a ton on a big beautiful class A and find we don't enjoy the cross country stuff sans hotel, even though we are sure we will enjoy the mountain/state park camping given sufficient space and tank size.

The variable in all of this is "how much" RV travel we will actually do. The local RV guy has told us that the tow limits specified by the mfr is a max, and that if we do lots of RV travel, we should de-rate the max to 65-70% of the mfr's limit, otherwise run the risk of ruining the engine & tranny. If we find we love it, we'll want something a bit larger (already found one we like) but it would put us in the 8500-9000 lb range...much more than 65-70% of our truck's 10,000lb tow capacity.

I don't know, guess I am just verbalizing thoughts here. I look at the RV boards from time to time, but the help there is a bit more sparse than here. Any advice/comments?

R
Old 07-26-2009, 07:50 AM   #119

Rambler, I fully agree with the advice you were given regarding the maximum size you should tow with your existing truck. I think if I were you I'd look at buying something pre-owned and use that to test your enthusiasm for the RV lifestyle. Renting something for a while is also an option.

Rich_in_Tampa should be along shortly to describe his experience in progressing from from a Class B, to a TrailManor, to a Class A over the period of a few years. My experience went from a series of pop-ups when the kids were young, a long period of no RV at all, then a small travel trailer and finally to a Class A once we retired.

Our two examples are fairly typical I think - starting small and going larger over time. That might argue for skipping all the interim steps and buying a 45' diesel pusher from the get-go, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:04 AM   #120
Give me a forum ...

Rambler, I think REW gives good advice. We had a very particular set of constraints and wants, so the decision was pretty easy for us. We have been talking about what kind of lifestyle we want upon retirement (lo, those many years in the future), and its pretty clear that we want to have a home base that we can wander from for weeks at a time, as well as taking short trips. I suspect that means we will be looking at a larger trailer than what we have or possibly something motorized. The enduring knock on a motorized RV for us is the inability to toot around once you get to the area you are going and set up. YMMV, naturally.

Try renting a couple times and see how a class C or A (common rental options) suits you.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote