Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone done a cross-country drive, roughing it?
Old 06-24-2009, 07:07 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Anyone done a cross-country drive, roughing it?

I absolutely foam at the mouth thinking of getting on a ElderBus and riding with 60 fossils like myself. I want to drive cross country in a van (basic van not RV) and put an Aerobed, some blankets and pillows and a cooler with stuff to consume. Just go. No jocular host or convivial seatmate. I want to eat at White's in Salem, OR, not Denney's on I-90, Denney's on I-80, Denney's on I-74, get the picture.

Has anyone ever done anything similar and are there enough rest stops with showers, facilities, etc to allow for hygienic basics? Or is it destined to be a Day's Inn fest.

I really long for the freedom and rhythm of the highway as it rolls on by, city lights and rolling thru the backwoods.

Am I dreaming of somthing impossible?
PX4sc40sw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2009, 07:17 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

My friend tells me that Wal-mart has places in their parking lots for RV's to stay over why not see if thats true. You can sleep at all the Wal Marts across the country.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:21 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks, that is the type of thing I am thinking. Go in get a 6-pack, and some chow, take along a video player, and just let the Wal-Mart provide my motel parking spot.

Appreciate and will try to get some info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnyfrombrooklyn View Post
My friend tells me that Wal-mart has places in their parking lots for RV's to stay over why not see if thats true. You can sleep at all the Wal Marts across the country.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:28 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Your toughest job will be finding showers. Rest stops don't have them. You will probably need campgrounds for showers. There are two campground guides to very inexpensive campgrounds, one for the east and one for the west. Here is a link to the western one: Amazon.com: Guide To Free Campgrounds-West 13h Edition: Includes Campgrounds $12 And Under In The 17 Western States (Don Wright's Guide to Free Campgrounds Western Edition): Don Wright: Books

The places tend to be out of the way places, often in small towns.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:37 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Martha, thanks for those links, I suspect that that is gonna determine my route. Even I can't go without my daily shower. And others appreciate my fastidiousness, I'm sure. But I want to die with an West-East passage and an East-West passage under my belt and I'll be darned if it's gonna be posh.

If need be, I'll do the Motel 6, Tom Bodette thing, but I want a rough ride, no sissy stuff. Real Americana cross country. Not Tu Pac/Eminem do La to NY via Escalade with posse.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:37 PM   #6

DH tells me of a time when he and his friend lived out of a car for a while (wow, a loooooong time ago!).

They got free showers by going to gyms and pretending to want a tour/getting a free day pass, etc.

Leave it to DH. What a creative man he is!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:58 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I suppose you could do truck stops, but then you are just traveling the 51st state.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:06 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PX4sc40sw View Post

I want to eat at White's in Salem, OR,...
Better not have breakfast there or you'll never get on the road - eat, founder, take a nap. Get up and look at half your meal patiently waiting for you.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:07 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

This trip seems like a recreation of a friends trip in 1970-71, where he bought an old van, left with a girl from Vidalia, GA and went from Macon, GA to Medford, OR and took 4 months to get there.

He is a very senior, tenured professor and he sometimes comments that he wasted his life except for those 4 months. Somewhat overstating I'm sure but.......
Old 06-24-2009, 08:08 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm determined to have that "mess" that you once talked so fondly of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Better not have breakfast there or you'll never get on the road - eat, founder, take a nap. Get up and look at half your meal patiently waiting for you.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:16 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Another place that showers exist at a nominal fee would be public swimming pools.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Showers at the gym
Old 06-24-2009, 08:18 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Showers at the gym

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
DH tells me of a time when he and his friend lived out of a car for a while (wow, a loooooong time ago!).

They got free showers by going to gyms and pretending to want a tour/getting a free day pass, etc.

Leave it to DH. What a creative man he is!

Funny, but I was going to suggest that if you have a gym membership with reciprocal privileges in various places, you might be able to shower there...and stretch your legs on some of the machines to boot. Have some of the local gym rats recommend dining possibilities and get sightseeing tips.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:31 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

The gym membership is interesting. But would I have to get in workouts and work out. Or, maybe I just say, ooops, I feel my back is too tight. I'll just grab a warm shower.

See ya.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:53 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

It gets hot out, or cold. And nature calls at inconvenient times. And the shower thing gets annoying. And truck stops are not always the safest place. And sometimes you just gotta stand up but it's raining out. And a hundred other things not to underestimate.

I can understand your attraction for the open road and the Kerouac lifestyle, but you might look for used Class B motorhomes. For the money you will actually be able to meet your necessities of life with a little style to boot. And many are fairly small (medium van size). There's Roadtrek, PleasureWay, Great West, and many others. They might be cheap nowadays. You can even get a Sprinter chassis with a small diesel engine.

Go for it, whichever way you decide, and keep us posted.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:05 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, what is fun and adventure at 18 isn't necessarily so fun after 50. How many times do you have to get up and pee at night?

Old 06-24-2009, 09:58 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I like my slide in truck camper and my Silverado. Staying overnight in a non-campground environment is called "boondocking" and you'd be surprised just how many places you can stay for free.
hogtied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 12:51 AM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
Another place that showers exist at a nominal fee would be public swimming pools.

2Cor521
I suggest looking into a YMCA membership. I think that you can use Y's across the country for free or for a nominal cost.
mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 12:52 AM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Yes, what is fun and adventure at 18 isn't necessarily so fun after 50. How many times do you have to get up and pee at night?
Dang, you just had to go and ruin it, didn't you
mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 06:36 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Actually, that was part of the attraction. Not the peeing on the side of Wal-Mart at 2AM part, but the idea that this ole 60 year old can get back some of the lost youth. You know, wearing a bandanna over my face and hurling Molotov cocktails at the Berkeley police. The good ole days.

Sheesh, the speeling checker wanted (coercement) me to say "wearing a banana over my face..".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Old 06-25-2009, 07:27 AM   #20
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PX4sc40sw View Post
Actually, that was part of the attraction. Not the peeing on the side of Wal-Mart at 2AM part, but the idea that this ole 60 year old can get back some of the lost youth. You know, wearing a bandanna over my face and hurling Molotov cocktails at the Berkeley police. The good ole days.

Sheesh, the speeling checker wanted (coercement) me to say "wearing a banana over my face..".
bwa-ha-ha-haaaaa..........you are hilarious!

This site has a lot of tips for staying clean on the road, from the perspective of people living full-time in vans:

How To Stay Clean
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote